Month's Goal: $300, Received: $0 - (0%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 969 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.

Default Correct Way To Wind?

Im sure this has been asked before, but what is the right way to wind a new clock? Should you wind until you cannot anymore, or just until it feels very tight? I am afraid to wind too tight for fear of breaking something, but most people have said you can't over-wind, is this true? Thanks

Forums Administrator harold bain's Avatar

Default Re: Correct Way To Wind? (RE: JakeIndy)

Wind it til it feels tight, then you are done. You can't overwind it, but you can underwind it, which will mean it will be unwound before it should be.
    harold bain, Member ch 33
    "If it won't "tick",
    let me "tock" to it"

Default Re: Correct Way To Wind? (RE: harold bain)

Jake,

Probably a good idea to do a good inspection of a "new" clock before you wind it at all. Many clocks, old and not so old, are put aside because of a winding incident due to faulty parts. My policy is to never wind a clock that is just brought in, for the same reason.

Willie X

Default Re: Correct Way To Wind? (RE: Willie X)

You can't over wind. Springs are very strong, but can be broken if your force the key after they're wound tight. What many of us do is wind fully the first time. The next time you wind it, count the number of turns to the same fully wound spot. After that, reduce the turns to one full turn less and use that number when winding the clock in the future. Note that this will actually give you a little bit more than the one turn insurance, and is probably better for time keeping too.

Default Re: Correct Way To Wind? (RE: shutterbug)

Thanks everyone, a very knowledgable clock repairman friend of mine suggested that I dont actually need to wind until it won't wind anymore, but about 7 revolutions for each hole..And see if that lets the clock run for the full 7/8 day cycle...

Forums Administrator harold bain's Avatar

It depends on what clock you have. Seven full turns is about right for most American clocks to run a week, but for some European clocks, three is a weeks worth (French clocks in particular). So while your friend's advice will work for some clocks, it won't work for all clocks.
    harold bain, Member ch 33
    "If it won't "tick",
    let me "tock" to it"

Quote Originally Posted by JakeIndy View Post
    I dont actually need to wind until it won't wind anymore, but about 7 revolutions for each hole..And see if that lets the clock run for the full 7/8 day cycle...
    IMO it is a bad idea to count turns. Counting turns will ALWAYS result in either a run down clock or a wound up tight clock.

FYI, wound up tight is the only reference point. You can back off a bit but you will have to learn where wound up tight is first.

Willie X