Month's Goal: $300, Received: $240.00 - (80%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 678 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.
    Registered user.

Question 1790 tall clock with wood gears-straford, connecticut

Any id on this clock that is in our family?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Image 3.jpg   Image 1.jpg   Image 2.jpg   Image.jpg  

Default Re: 1790 tall clock with wood gears-straford, connecticut (RE: Geof W)

Any clues from the papers attached to the inside of the door?

How about a few pictures of the movement?

Registered user.

Default Re: 1790 tall clock with wood gears-straford, connecticut (RE: Steven Thornberry)

Yes...that would be nice but it is not in my home but rather in another state, currently. I could kindly ask my family member to take extra pictures.

Any clues from the pics available?
    I noticed that the key holes are white rather than dark...as if not functioning, but that does not make sense since I am told it is still working properly and keeps time. (I may have to ask about that.)

Do you think there is a missing brass or wood pediment in the center?

From the Straford Connecticut location, do you think that puts it in the hands of any particular maker??

Geof W

Is that Staford, or stratford?
    The ticking of a clock, the heartbeat of time

Registered user.

Default Re: 1790 tall clock with wood gears-straford, connecticut (RE: gilbert)

It must be Stratford, as noted in the clock history...sorryClick image for larger version. 

Name:	Image 4.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	104.3 KB 
ID:	123043

I may be able to tell you the maker, but not without good, clear, well lit pictures of the movement, including one of the back plate, one of the time side, and one of the strike side. Movement characteristics are often the only way to determine a maker, short of a signed dial. This is a 30 hour wood pull up movement, and the false winding holes are a common decorative conceit- almost all wood dials of this era feature them, and they are original. Your movement was probably made circa 1810-30.

Registered user.

Default Re: 1790 tall clock with wood gears-straford, connecticut (RE: Peter A. Nunes)

I have now acquired some pics of the movement and would like to share them with you for more accurate ID of the maker:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image 7.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	40.9 KB 
ID:	156188Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image 1.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	31.5 KB 
ID:	156190Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image 4.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	38.2 KB 
ID:	156192Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image 9.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	38.0 KB 
ID:	156193

From what I can see, it looks like a Mark Leavenworth product, but it's hard to tell for sure without good pictures.

Registered user.

Default Re: 1790 tall clock with wood gears-straford, connecticut (RE: Peter A. Nunes)

Mark Leavenworth...is that a modern reproduction? or was he an early maker? Sorry not up on the subject

Quote Originally Posted by Geof W View Post
    Mark Leavenworth...is that a modern reproduction? or was he an early maker? Sorry not up on the subject
    Sounds like to you need to begin building your library. a good place to stare is Spittlers' and Bailey, Clockmakers & Watchmakers of America, available from NAWCC or the American Clcok & Watch museum, as well as on eBay.

Mark Leavenworth was the nephew of Colonel William Leavenworth, and was active until around 1834, though he probably stopped producing tall case movements well prior to that date.

The book is also available directly from Tom Spittler, and he will of course autograph it. Please send me a P.M. if you'd like his contact information.
    Last edited by Peter A. Nunes; 12-16-2012 at 07:14 PM.