Month's Goal: $300, Received: $0 - (0%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 876 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.

Cool Clueless with a Waltham Maximus with a 14k hex Solidarity case

Hi - looking for any information (year, etc.) that anyone is willing to provide about this Waltham Maximus wrist watch in a 14K Solidarity hex casing. I've attached a picture. The mechanism just says Waltham Maximus along with the serial number on it. I entered the serial number in the database and it said that it is a model L-10, size L10, Material P (?), Balance Brequet Spring, Style Htg.

Any feedback is appreciated.

Thank you,

Brenda
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails waltham maximus.jpg  

Default Re: Clueless with a Waltham Maximus with a 14k hex Solidarity case (RE: Giftedbrenda)

Here's another photo...Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wm 7036.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	118.7 KB 
ID:	122824

Default Re: Clueless with a Waltham Maximus with a 14k hex Solidarity case (RE: Giftedbrenda)

The case dates from the early to mid 1920s. I cannot read the early part of the serial number on the movement, do I cannot tell you more.

Don

Default Re: Clueless with a Waltham Maximus with a 14k hex Solidarity case (RE: Don Dahlberg)

The serial number is 19047036. The number on the Solidarity case is 390967. It says 14K with the 14K - 583/1000 - FINE engraved.

These 10-ligne Maximus movements are wonderful watches. Yours is in a very nice (probably original) case and it looks like it may have an original period mesh band as well. Solidarity was one of the better case companies and the quality is appropriate to this top-qualtiy movement. I would say this watch is probably from the mid to late 'teens.
    Jerry Treiman, NAWCC member since 1971
    Charter member of Pocket Horology Chapter 174

Default Re: Clueless with a Waltham Maximus with a 14k hex Solidarity case (RE: Jerry Treiman)

Thank you for your help!

The movement dates from 1914. Many of these movements were originally made for ladies pendant watches. Many stayed in the factory unsold for as long as a decade and were eventually sold to wholesalers who cased them in wristwatch cases for men. During the late 1910s some were factory cased. We have had a lot of discussion about this lately, but I shall repeat it. A man wearing a wristwatch in the US before WWI was only slightly more acceptable than wearing a dress. It was more accepted in the Europe. During WWI, the soldiers in the trenches learned that a wristwatch was more convenient and safer fro snipers. They came home with safety razors and wristwatches. Even then, it was only acceptable for veterans and those involved in sports. Read the story in the middle of the page on Judge Landis at http://www.worthpoint.com/blog-entry...ory-wristwatch

So, we can guess that your watch is from the mid 1910s to mid 1920s. I vote for the latter, Jerry votes earlier. I would trust Jerry more on this subject.

Don

Default Re: Clueless with a Waltham Maximus with a 14k hex Solidarity case (RE: Don Dahlberg)

Is this movement size 0?

Cheers, Watchfixer

Default Re: Clueless with a Waltham Maximus with a 14k hex Solidarity case (RE: Watchfixer)

I had missed your statement of 10L for size before.

"Sizes" are an English (Lancashire Gauges) system that we used in the US. This movement is 10 Lignes, which is a French and Swiss size unit. 10 Lignes is 0.888 inches or 22.56 mm. It is a bit smaller than a 9/0 size. Waltham also made a 10 1/2 line movement. I had not known this.

So we are talking about a ladies wristwatch here. So it probably did come out shortly after the movement was made, approximately 1914. Ladies wristwatches were totally acceptable at this time.

I have to learn to read more carefully.

Don

Yes - definitely a ladies wristwatch. My fiance remembers his great-grandmother wearing it. I entered the serial number on this site and got the information about the 10L. It's a really neat watch with the detailed mesh.

I appreciate all of your help! I'm fascinated by the watch and I feel like I'm learning so much.

Brenda