Month's Goal: $300, Received: $240.00 - (80%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 964 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.

Default Two new Walthams for me

I just recently received two new Waltham watches. One is an early 12-size Riverside, from the first group of 12-size watches made. The ledger has this run finished over a period of several years, from 1896 to 1903. These first Riverside movements are distinguished by a script signature for both the company and the grade name rather than the style used on all later watches, and a dial with a pressed, or ground, center (i.e. not a true double-sunk dial). Someone else commented recently on this unusual movement signature, and they are not common. The nicely made Crescent Watch Case is probably original and not too worn. I collect Riverside-grade Walthams and have been looking for a reasonable example of this variant for a while.

My other new find is an early Waltham Opera Watch. It is on the left side of the two octagon Opera Watches. It is the first I have seen with this pendant style on an octagon case and could be from as early as 1914. The more common form is on the right. Many of these were cased by the Dubois Watch Case Co. in cases signed J. Depollier & Son. My early example (left side) is signed Dubois.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 7074576obl1.jpg   7074576m.jpg   7074576mdt.jpg   2octagons.jpg  
    Jerry Treiman, NAWCC member since 1971
    Charter member of Pocket Horology Chapter 174

Default Re: Two new Walthams for me (RE: Jerry Treiman)

Jerry,

I think it's interesting to look at the damaskeen pattern on this-it's quite unlike any 12 size I've seen.

Do you know if the operators were allowed the same freedom on these as was often seen on the larger watches?
    Chapter 149

Default Re: Two new Walthams for me (RE: ben_hutcherson)

The damascene pattern is actually typical for Riverside movements of this era. I have several 12-size Riversides with this pattern and it can also be seen on this 16-size example. I am preparing an extended post on Waltham Riverside watches that will show some of this.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 99Riverside17j.jpg  
    Jerry Treiman, NAWCC member since 1971
    Charter member of Pocket Horology Chapter 174