Month's Goal: $300, Received: $0 - (0%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 955 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Seeking information on a mantel clock serial number (RE: Orafist)

I adjusted the bar that secures the chimes so it wont touch them, now it has a rich tone!! thank you so much. Any ideas on my minute hand issue?

Forums Administrator harold bain's Avatar

The hand problem might be a need for oil. If you keep your fingers close to the center of the hand, you should be able to move the minute hand without bending or breaking it.
    harold bain, Member ch 33
    "If it won't "tick",
    let me "tock" to it"

Default Re: Seeking information on a mantel clock serial number (RE: harold bain)

I was able to move the minute hand with minimal force, now I just need to synchronize the chimes and I will be content to let it rest until I can have it cleaned and oiled

The minute hand seems a bit loose, like it has a few milimeters of "give" to it. both hands are moving ok and keeping good time but I cant seem to synchronize the chimes. Can the minute hand be adjusted, or taken off and repositioned?

The minute hand is on a bushing that can be repositioned to get the chime to be at exactly 00'. You will need a screwdriver (yellow or green Robertson square head usually fits), or a file tang that fits in the square in the center of the hand. Hold the screwdriver in one hand, slip the minute hand on it, then force the minute hand a few degrees by pushing it close to the center (don't push the far end, as the hand will bend). It's a trial and error adjustment.
    From your picture, it appears the taper pin that holds the minute hand in place is missing.
    "If it won't "tick",
    let me "tock" to it"

Default Re: Seeking information on a mantel clock serial number (RE: harold bain)

Before you start adjusting the minute hand collet, try this.
    Move the minute hand to the point, where you get the 1st quarter chime.
    Adjust the collet then to that "quarter" after position.
    After refastening the hands, move the minute hand further on, until it
    reaches the 2nd, 3rd and 4th quarter chime and strikes the hour. Wait until each
    chime has ended, before advancing the hand again. Count the hour strikes.
    Then move the hour hand (it's a friction fit) to the time that had been struck.
    That should set the chimes in sequence.
    Jurgen "tempus nostrum"

Default Re: Seeking information on a mantel clock serial number (RE: soaringjoy)

I might have misread your problem. If it's chiming the halfhour chime at 3/4 hour, for instance, the minute hand can be taken off, and moved back 90 degrees. Since it's bushing is square, it can be put on at any 15 minute position.
    "If it won't "tick",
    let me "tock" to it"

the hands are held in place by what seems to be a bent pin that runs through the "square" the hands are on, is this the taper pin you mentioned?
    Last edited by Orafist; 03-07-2012 at 08:18 AM.

Yes. It's hard to see it in your picture. You will need to straighten it and pull it out to remove the hand, if you need the hand removed.
    "If it won't "tick",
    let me "tock" to it"

thank you Harold, I think that hand will need to come off. if I could trouble you with another question, if you look at the right side of my movement above the hammers there seems to be an adjustable "bar" could this be a selector for different chimes? as a related question is it ok to run in extended silent mode, like leaving it on silent for days??
    Last edited by Orafist; 03-07-2012 at 08:53 AM.

Your clock only has Westminister chimes, not enough chime rods for others. The black bar piece at the bottom right is to lock the chime rods for transportation, and should not touch the rods when using the clock. It shouldn't hurt the clock to put it on silence, as long as the chime correction is working properly.
    "If it won't "tick",
    let me "tock" to it"

yes you helped me understand the purpose of the black bar for chime storage, by "bar" I mean the brass bar on the right hand side of the movement above the hammers

If you mean the one on the left side in your picture, I don't think it does anything as it sits now. It looks like it would have been a chime hammer arrestor to silence them.
    "If it won't "tick",
    let me "tock" to it"

Yes Harold, I did mean the brass bar on the left, thank you.