Month's Goal: $300, Received: $235.00 - (78%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 995 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.

Unhappy Telechron rotor B2 assembly help

Greetings all, I am rebuilding my b2 rotor , all info found here was very helpful in getting it apart desoldering case etc, now I am assembling it , all seemed good I put it in the field for a test turned good , but back in the case it seems like the armature shaft moves endways & dissengages out of the gear train , is there something that holds the shaft from going endways or have I assembled something wrong?
    Thanks
    Gary

Default Re: Telechron rotor B2 assembly help (RE: hali63)

You either assembled it wrong or one of the high RPM gear wheels is loose (ie freewheeling) on it's shaft. (maybe the first one the center armature gear contacts).

Once the gear train assembly is properly pressed into the case past the 3 little holding divots, the center armature gear will NOT disengage from the gear train. It will if the gear train is not fully seated in the case or if a pivot has completely worn though the bearing plate backing disk which limits it's lateral movement. You also need to make sure the capillary shim does not touch the armature vane disks.

Posting some images would be helpful.
    Last edited by davefr; 03-02-2012 at 11:29 AM.

Default Re: Telechron rotor B2 assembly help (RE: davefr)

Hi Dave , thankyou for reply , As the new guy Its pretty likley I got assembly order wrong , now im mixed up as to order of gears, all pictures on web I cant find any order or instruction of gear assembly, Also one gear is fiber . Help! It also would seem with no gears the works seated in case the pinion shaft drops out far enough to fall out of top plate. Should the dimple in bottom of case stop lateral morement to stop this , I see no wear inside dimple of case to show the shaft hasn't been hitting there .
    Thanks
    Gary

Gary,
    The armature will butt up against the inside of the rotor case's tail before it'll disengage from the gear train. However this is assuming the gear train assembly is properly seated in the case.

In operation the armature shaft will be self centered from the coil's magnetic field and should never be at the far ends of it's lateral movement. (assuming the small armature disks are properly aligned/spaced)

As for order of gear assembly does this help?

Dave covered it - Thanks - Best ~
    Last edited by coldwar; 03-02-2012 at 12:55 PM. Reason: removed mostly redundant information

Thanks Dave better picture , a lesson learned here I should have followed the drive path with my own pictures. Anyway trail & error I got it , with the mechanism in the case it would seem that i didnt have it all the way in very slightly up. All the way inserted it wont fall out. Now found my problem , I should add the would be clock guy before me drilled this case then soldered it . I cleaned all this up but it seems pieces might have jammed the gears slightly . What I have is: the only gear that is fiber is the one that is driven from the armature pinion , it is slipping & the teeth are poor. Well guess Im at a standstil. Man too bad I hate to quit on this , it would be nice if I could find a brass gear. Have you ever counted the teeth ,are there any interchanges amoungst the other gears?
    Very Gratefull for the help!
    Gary

Your only hope is to find an "organ donor" to harvest parts from. And that particular gear is almost never brass.

Thanks Dave , would that gear be in any other model rotors other than B2 ?
    Thanks
    Gary

You can buy one on eBay for about $35 refurbed, have replaced four of mine.

Russ