Month's Goal: $300, Received: $240.00 - (80%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 972 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.

Default Edge knife suspension - construction details

Hi to all.

After searching the Web for long time with no success I decided to post here.

My interest is focused on the electronics side of some tests to be carried out on a free pendulum which I need built by a machinist. I lack the tools (and the dexterity for that!).

Some refined construction would be excellent but not to the point of making this a costly attempt.

Having elected an edge knife suspension, is it anyone kind enough to give the details of shape / sizes / angles of the V groove and the knife? My pendulum is planned to be about 1 m long with a weight, all in all, between 1 and 4 Kg.

Of course a suggestion on appropriate materials for the suspension (trying to avoid spending too much $$$) would be nice as well.

I expect the test to last one year at maximum.

I would appreciate concrete data, if at all possible, supported by a simple sketch.

Gracias for the time you will spend reading this. (No pun intended)
    Agustín Tomás - In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, however, there is

Default Re: Edge knife suspension - construction details (RE: atferrari)

This very special clock uses Tungsten carbide for the knife edge with invar for the blocks. See opposite figure 1 http://www.stevecaseydesign.com/W5%20doc.pdf
    Here is a thread about knife edge suspension: http://mb.nawcc.org/showthread.php?5...0suspen%20sion
    The blocks should be gimbal mounted so they can self align to the knife edge. Agate is used as the blocks on high grade clocks.

Default Re: Edge knife suspension - construction details (RE: tok-tokkie)

Quote Originally Posted by tok-tokkie View Post
    This very special clock uses Tungsten carbide for the knife edge with invar for the blocks. See opposite figure 1 http://www.stevecaseydesign.com/W5 doc.pdf
    Here is a thread about knife edge suspension: http://mb.nawcc.org/showthread.php?5...ge suspen sion
    The blocks should be gimbal mounted so they can self align to the knife edge. Agate is used as the blocks on high grade clocks.

I was aware of that thread.

Any chances that I could get a simple sketch with dimensions?

What is articulated and how, is a mystery for me. Keep in mind that I know nothing of all this.

Gracias for replying.
    Agustín Tomás - In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, however, there is