Month's Goal: $300, Received: $235.00 - (78%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 1005 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.

Default Howard Miller cable driven clock does not chime

My howard miller clock has three weights. The left and right weights do not move down anymore and the chime stopped working. I noticed one of the hammers on the left side (looking from the back) is forward while the others are back.

Is there an easy fix for this? I am new to the forum and clock repair, but I am an avid DIYer.

Thanks for anyones help!!!

Forums Administrator harold bain's Avatar

Default Re: Howard Miller cable driven clock does not chime (RE: aclc)

Hi aclc, welcome to the message board. Your clock is probably trying to tell you it's due for some preventive maintenance. You could try this: move the minute hand to just past 12, then put a little downward pressure on the right side weight to help it. This might start the chime, which is now in a stalled position.
    harold bain, Member ch 33
    "If it won't "tick",
    let me "tock" to it"

Default Re: Howard Miller cable driven clock does not chime (RE: harold bain)

Unfortunately, this did not work...any other ideas? The center weight is working fine and my clock is keeping time; the only problem I have is that the chime stopped working.

Thanks again for your input.

Find a clock repairman to help you. You are likely overdue to have your movement oiled and/or cleaned.
    "If it won't "tick",
    let me "tock" to it"

Hi Aclc and welcome to the Message Board!

I often get calls from customers with a similar problem and I'm sure other repairman can relate. Here are some standard questions I ask when trying to troubleshoot...

-How old is the clock?
    -When was it last serviced?
    -Have the weights recently been removed? The heavy one needs to go on the right as you face the clock.
    -Is the chime select lever in the "silent" position?
    -Is this a triple chime movement and if so, which tune is it set to if not in the "silent" position?

And just so you know, if your movement is 25 years old, it is at the end of its mechanical life. And, as Harold says, it is probably time to talk to a professional .

Let us know if we can help further!

Default Re: Howard Miller cable driven clock does not chime (RE: LaBounty)

Well, it has never been serviced and is about 6 years old. So, is there any way that I can service it? Any recommended books, etc to view?

Thanks again

Hey Aclc-

Thanks for the information! You've answered two of my troubleshooting questions but it would still help to have the answers to the rest if you'd like us to help problem-solve why your chime train is stalled . If your clock was made in 2006, it isn't likely to require servicing unless it has been stopped for a long period of time. I've found the oils will dry out if the clock isn't run.

To answer your questions about how you can service it yourself... This forum has a great deal of information in its archives. You could do a search for "oiling", "books", "beginner", etc... and, if that doesn't produce the information you are seeking, we will be happy to help further.

Regards,

Default Re: Howard Miller cable driven clock does not chime (RE: LaBounty)

acic,

Look closely at how the cable is wound onto the right (chime) drum. It should be one smooth layer and the plastic cable retainer should be loose. Test them all, unlikely that all three are screwed up at the same time, but you may be able to see what a 'loose' plastic retainer is supposed feel like. If the clear plastic cable retainer feels stuck in place, then there is something wrong with the cable wrap, or the cable itself. Stoppage of the right (chime) train automaticly stops the left (strike) train.

This relates directly to David's 3rd question.

Willie X

Registered user.

Default Re: Howard Miller cable driven clock does not chime (RE: Willie X)

Hello acic, I have repaired maniy nearley new movements wich just stoped working with a small artist paint brush and some alcohol to remove factory oils, and then reoil. This is more problamatic if the movement ia spring wound. . good luck TTD

Default Re: Howard Miller cable driven clock does not chime (RE: The Tick Doc)

Actually my wife informed me that the clock was purchased around 2001. The weights have NOT been moved around. The chime selector lever is NOT in the silent position. The chime can be OFF or ON with a nighttime ON/OFF switch.

I can post pictures if this would be helpful...just let me know what pictures would be useful. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by aclc View Post
    I can post pictures if this would be helpful...just let me know what pictures would be useful. Thanks.
    Yes, a close-up of the lower right front plate would help. Someone might have 'slammed' the stop-works, the little thin gears that limit how far the clock's weights can be wound up. Once slammed, the stop-works will no longer work properly and cause a complete stoppage of power transference from the weight. They can be repaired and reoriented with a little patience.

Willie X

Quote Originally Posted by aclc View Post
    Actually my wife informed me that the clock was purchased around 2001. The weights have NOT been moved around. The chime selector lever is NOT in the silent position. The chime can be OFF or ON with a nighttime ON/OFF switch.

Well, you have possibly an 11 year old clock that's never been oiled. If you can tell us what's stamped on the back of the movement, then we will know who made it. A picture of the front of the movement with the dial off may show us something that we can help you with. You will need to purchase some clock oil, to start. Then you will need to learn where the oil needs to go.
    "If it won't "tick",
    let me "tock" to it"

Here is a link to my clock specs:

http://www.grandfatherclocksplus.com...p/610-901.html

Pictures of my clock:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photos 008.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	100.1 KB 
ID:	121635Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photos 002.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	111.3 KB 
ID:	121636Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photos 003.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	146.8 KB 
ID:	121637Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photos 004.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	56.4 KB 
ID:	121638Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photos 005.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	62.7 KB 
ID:	121639Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photos 007.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	140.2 KB 
ID:	121640

Unfortunately, it sounds to me like you are beyond your capabilities with this clock. A multiple train clock is not a good one to learn on.
    If/when you pick a clock repair person to work on your clock; you should find one that is qualified.
    Click the link to help locate someone to help you with your problem.
    http://mb.nawcc.org/showthread.php?8...s-in-your-area

Best Regards,

Dick