Month's Goal: $300, Received: $240.00 - (80%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 981 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.

Default rolex water-damage

i am working on a rolex 2030..crystal was broken and the owner kept wearing the watch..water entered the movement..i cleaned/oiled and adjusted them movement...removed all rust...the watch is timing fine plus 04...however...the minute hand does not move in concert with the seconds hand...one 60-second sweep barely moves the minute hand..my feeling is that the cannon pinion is at issue...any advice would be most welcome...thanks...

Blog Entries

Default Re: rolex water-damage (RE: guychampeau)

That movement has a feature I don't like. The center pinion that carries the minute hand is an idler that is run by the mainspring barrel. There is "lash" between the teeth of the pinion and the barrel teeth which means it is difficult to match the minute hand at the minute mark, and the seconds hand to the 60-second mark. This is also true on the caliber 3035 and 3135, and other related calibers. The problem is compounded by the gasket inside the pendant which "squirms" when re-setting the hands. Once you get the minute hand where you want it, the gasket "squirms" when you release the crown, and the minute hand moves. Be sure to grease that gasket. About the best you can do is to move the minute hand ahead of where you want it to be, back it up to about 1/2 minute ahead of where you want it to be, and let the hand catch up to the seconds hand when the lash in the gears is taken up. Now! If you minute hand lags a LOT, you may have a cannon pinion problem.

Default Re: rolex water-damage (RE: doug sinclair)

thanks doug...in the event that it is a cannon pinion problem...my thought was to gently broach it out then reset the tension with my staking set...sound approach?..thanks

Blog Entries

I quote myself from my previous post.

If your minute hand lags a LOT, you may have a cannon pinion problem.

Sound approach would be to determine that the cannon pinion IS actually slipping, before you try tightening it! How much time does the minute hand lose? No sense tightening a cannon pinion if it is not slipping and resulting in the loss you encounter. If you will carefully re-read my post, I mentioned that the minute hand on these modern Rolex calibers DOES lag behind the seconds hand, but seldom more than a minute or so. This is caused by (again, LASH in the center pinion and barrel). But if the minurte hand lags by, say 30 minutes in an hour, you either have a stopping problem, or a slipping cannon pinion. BROACH! Broach a cannon pinion that is already loose? Are you kidding? Why would you make the slipping problem WORSE before by broaching the pinion before you try to correct it? If you would answer the questions I asked, it would be easier for me to advise you!

thanks doug....the cannon pinion seems too tight...i though that it might be the problem...some residue from the water damage?....i am losing several minutes a day while the watch on the timer seems fine...my feeling is that somewhere along the line there was an excess of friction in the cannon pinion....

Blog Entries

An excess of friction in the cannon pinion causing a loss? There is NO WAY that a cannon pinion that is tight on the center pinion can cause a loss! If the hour wheel pipe was a tight fit on the cannon pinion, there might be an issue, but I doubt it. A tight hour wheel would more likely cause a stoppage rather than a loss! The fit of the cannon pinion on the center arbor is an issue ONLY when the hands are being re-set! At all other times the center pinion and cannon pinion turn, together, so there can be no effect on timing! But if you feel the cannon pinion is too tight, did you have the cannon pinion off the center wheel arbor when you cleaned it? If there is no rust, I suggest you leave the cannon pinion alone! Look elsewhere for the problem.

yes...i broke the watch completely down to bits...cleaned the rust off.... ran throught three jar ultrasonic then an alcohol dip...finished with a machine drying...i'll break the movement down again and see what-else is going on...leaving the cannon pinion alone...thanks

Blog Entries

I fail tom see how the cannon pinion tension could have re-set itself during the cleaning process! I trust you did lubricate the center pinion post where the cannon pinion fits, before you fitted the cannon pinion? That would make a difference if you didn't. I use a thicker oil or light grease to lube the center pinion before the cannon pinion goes on. Did you see any rust on the center pinion, and did you "peg" the cannon pinion before cleaning? And you said you use an alcohol final rinse. Surely you don't use water-based solutions to clean watches!

i did not peg the cannon pinion..on the center pinion i use D5 prior to setting the cannon pinion....no water based solutions...i use the alcohol solution because i can't stand the smell of the final rinse on the dryer...i also noted that the jewels dried cleaner after the alcohol dip...

well doug you did it again....i followed your advice...found the problem to be dirt on the minute wheel stud...cleaned the stud...minute wheel...pegged the cannon pinion too...set hands as described...on my final test machine now....looking good....thanks again...

Blog Entries

The dial train should ALWAYS be dismantled when a watch is cleaned. That may have been RUST on the post for the minute pinion, causing a feeling that the cannon pinion was too tight. Without dismantling those parts, such damage can be hard to spot, or even impossible! You might have had the misfortune of breaking a tooth out of the setting pinion, minute wheel, or intermediate setting wheel, or even snapping off the post for the minute wheel. You are very lucky!