Month's Goal: $300, Received: $350.00 - (117%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 776 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: F. Mauthe

Question F. Mauthe

Hi all,
    first time posting here and new to the forum so I hope this is the right place to post this. I just picked up what I believe is an F. Mauthe clock inside the works it says FMS (in sinde a circle w/3 lines dividing it like a 3 piece pie) and also drp 32838 and on one side of the works 42/105. The clock was wound tight and frozen up. i've gotten it ticking again - and it's running right now at 1 minute every 10 seconds (which I'm letting it do to unwind the gears which had previously been wound to their max) There is obviously a part missing in the back which is either a suspension rod or a suspension spring. What is the best way to determine the length of this and whether it was a rod (with a spring on one end) or just a flat piece of spring al the way down to the connecting rod? The pendulum is here and there is also anotherpiece that appears to have been an intermediary between the pendulum and the suspension rod. I've tried looking up the numbers and the name.. but I'm not finding much of anything not even on the history of the company and have found no photo of another clock like this. I originally though that it was placed in a different case (which could still be true) but I did find 2 details on this case on photos of other mauthe clocks. My main issue right now though is the suspension rod/spring and knowing what size I need to order to get this regulated again. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Default Re: F. Mauthe (RE: beachbum)

If you can post a pic of the suspension hanger and the top of the pendulum, it might be easier to make a determination of what you need.

Default Re: F. Mauthe (RE: shutterbug)

Welcome to the NAWCC Message Board Beachbum. You stated in part: "drp 32838 and on one side of the works 42/105" Sorry but that's no help. The DRP is the German patent number and the numbers 42/105 refer generally to the number of teeth on the escape wheel (42) and 105 as the beats per minute of the pendulum.

What would be more helpful in identifying the movement is the dimensions of the movement plates in mm and the distance between the plates in mm.
    As Shutterbug replied, a snapshot of the back side of the movement would help a bunch.

Generally, the suspension spring on these German movements is a short length (maybe two pieces) of thin steel spring sandwiched between brass pieces with a pinned hole. There should be a "pendulum leader" serving as a link between the suspension spring and the pendulum rod. The verge crutch usually has a tongue that fits into a slot on the leader. If leader link is lost you will likely have to make one.

Appended below is part of a page from a German clock parts catalog that may help you identify the suspension part names.

A snapshot of your movement please.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Suspension Spring Leader Pendulum.jpg  
    Last edited by Eckmill; 02-13-2012 at 12:26 PM. Reason: add sketch of parts
    H.J. (Les) Lesovsky, Alhambra California

Default Re: F. Mauthe (RE: Eckmill)

Thanks Shutterbug and eckmill,

It might take me a couple of days but I'll try to get some good shots of the works. To me it looks like it was a one piece suspension spring - there's a small bit of it still there but I'll let you guys be the judge of what I've got. I just need a good sunny day when the wind isn't blowing. I live at teh beach and don't want to take the chance of getting sand blown into the gears - today we have a high wind advisory. Sunny but no fun to be out in. Also thanks for the info on what all those numbers mean. Also (yes i'm clueless) I don't know what 'movement plates' are (sorry) but I'll try to get close shots of everything I can, maybe when I get it ready to photograph I'll realize what they are.
    Thanks again and sorry for being such a newb.

The movement plates are the big brass sheets that hold all the gears in

Thanks shutterbug! I hope I got these measurements right I'm not used to using a mm ruler but the measurements I got for the plates are 94 mm across 102mm tall and the two plates are 37mm appart (space between plates)
    )Click image for larger version. 

Name:	clock back.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	168.2 KB 
ID:	120976Click image for larger version. 

Name:	clock face.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	153.6 KB 
ID:	120977Click image for larger version. 

Name:	spring part.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	47.5 KB 
ID:	120978
    The first picture is teh clock back. the second is the face and teh last is where the suspension spring is broken. I thought it was a single piece but it does look (on closer look) like it might have been 2 springs. I forgot to take a picture of the pendulum leader so I'll post this and see if I can find that piece.
    Here's the pendulum extension sorry the photo isn't a little sharper.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails pendulum extension.jpg  
    Last edited by beachbum; 02-17-2012 at 07:50 PM. Reason: adding photo of pendulum extension

A suspension spring p/n 11038 from Timesavers will likely work OK. However, the suspension leader in your photo may not be exactly what was supplied originally.

P.S. Check your PM (private mail) I have sent you a note.
    Last edited by Eckmill; 02-17-2012 at 10:41 PM. Reason: Add a word or two
    H.J. (Les) Lesovsky, Alhambra California

Default Re: F. Mauthe (RE: Eckmill)

Howdy Beach, welcome aboard.
    Look HERE for help with the names of clock parts.
    1. Check out the REPAIR HINTS & HOW-TO's forum! Click Here.

Default Re: F. Mauthe (RE: bangster)

That is an interesting looking leader. If it's the right length though, it should work fine.

Registered user.

Hi, Your movement is similar to mine, same pendulum leader. Picture attached. Pendulum hooks directly to the leader. Magnify the picture and you can see the suspension spring. Charles Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2102.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	105.4 KB 
ID:	121193

Default Re: F. Mauthe (RE: laumeg)

Hi Charles,
    thanks for posting the photo. I'm really glad to see it! I've got some suspension springs coming so I'll be posting to let you all know how it goes. I'm going to have to read up a bit on how to change the spring without doing anything wrong but I've got my fingers crossed that this will get quickly back into keeping time (don't we always wish it would go easy? )

Default Re: F. Mauthe (RE: laumeg)

Thanks to everyone for all the help, especially Ekmill (Les). I got the spring installed and the clock is running. I can see it has a few other problems but I'm not sure how willing I am to remount the clock in the case. As you can see from the photo the face isn't centered properly or installed plum (it's crooked). I'm thinking this is not the original case for this clock in fact I'm wondering if it's something of a chimera made of several clocks <?> But considering it's running and and still rather attractive (even if not quite right) I'm very happy with it! Thanks again everyone!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	german clock.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	146.8 KB 
ID:	121797

Forums Administrator harold bain's Avatar

Hey, beachbum, it's a simple adjustment to center the movement on it's mounting plate. Just loosen the screws and slide it over. Your picture shows it clearly not centered.
    harold bain, Member ch 33
    "If it won't "tick",
    let me "tock" to it"

Default Re: F. Mauthe (RE: harold bain)

Quote Originally Posted by harold bain View Post
    Hey, beachbum, it's a simple adjustment to center the movement on it's mounting plate. Just loosen the screws and slide it over. Your picture shows it clearly not centered.
    Unfortunately that doesn't seem to be an option with this clock. I could be missing something but I can't see where. The mounting bracket is one piece which has a guide channel in it making the only internal movement available forward to back but not side to side. Here's some pics of it so you can see what I mean. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	channel.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	126.7 KB 
ID:	121955Click image for larger version. 

Name:	guide.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	104.2 KB 
ID:	121956 The guide bar <?> that's circled in red fits exactly into the channel above the screw slots in the first picture.

This image shows the face still off (but not as bad as previously posted as didn't get the in the screw slot in one side previousy) Click image for larger version. 

Name:	face2.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	141.7 KB 
ID:	121961 I don't know if it's acceptable to be off this much, it's not horrible just not centered. The problem I'm having right now, aside from this is every time I take the mechanism out of the case I need to hang the clock at a different (not straight) angle on the wall to keep it going. The part that the pendulum leader goes through seems to be off center (Pendulum Crutch?) (even though it appears to be straight visually) and I'm not sure the best way to adjust it so that I can hang the clock straight and it will tic/toc properly and keep running when the case is straight on the wall (not tilted at an angle). I'll be out of town for the next week and unable to do any work on it but I'll try to check in while i'm gone if I can get internet access. Thanks again for all the help and again I appologie for not being able to find the name of that part. I know how miserable it must be to try to help someone who can't even get the names right. I'm trying. I have a book Clock Cleaning and Repairing published by Cassell but so far it's pretty technical and I can't seem to find any trouble shooting guilde. I read the part regarding cleaning and repair of the pendulum crutch but it doesn't seem to address this issue. Maybe it's in another part of the book.

Hi gents,

remember, that is the Kielmann patent (D.R.P. 55006) type of pendulum leader
    and again, the device (pendulum swing retainer) is missing.
    Another feature of the device was, that the leader couldn't get unhooked, in
    case someone fooled around with the pendulum.

Good to have this topic in the clock repair forum for once, because the point
    is, that very many repairers just toss and dump the Kielmann device, because it needs
    the exact type of pendulum spring to fit.
    There's a screw that goes through the oblong hole in the leader and a slightly shorter or longer
    pendulum spring will not allow the leader to swing freely.
    Without the swing detent, it will be only a matter of time, until the next pendulum
    spring breaks, too.
    A remedy would be to set up two posts (or taper pins) on both sides of the crutch,
    like most other movements have.

I hope, this set of pics are detailed enough.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KielmPat.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	104.6 KB 
ID:	121962 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DRP55006Kielm(02).jpg 
Size:	224.0 KB 
ID:	121963 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DRP55006Kielm(01).jpg 
Size:	91.8 KB 
ID:	121964
    Jurgen "tempus nostrum"