Month's Goal: $300, Received: $10.00 - (3%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 947 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Registered user.

Default Re: Can you identify this Anniverary clock (RE: Nochime)

Thank you John for your reply its amazing how much one can learn.

Shayne

''How do you know so much about everything?'' was asked of a very wise and intelligent man; and the answer was ''By never being afraid or ashamed to ask questions as to anything of which I was ignorant.

John Abbott (1821-1893) Canadian lawyer and statesman.

Registered user.

Default Re: Can you identify this Anniverary clock (RE: shutterbug)

Hi John I asked my aunt to check the clock in the mean time for a serial # and she says that there is no serial #just KS on the left hand side of the back plate which would make it a Kern . The dial also has Kern ,I am confused I have to pay her a vist soon .

If you say only Kundo made these clocks then what have I stumbled across here?

I do not know much about the history of Kundo and Kern did they have any association ?

John at first i thought it could be a marriage of two clocks but we have

1) KS movement no serial
    2) Kern dail octagonal
    3) rectangular/square weights

What would be the approx production date.

Thanks
    Shayne
    Last edited by Shayne; 02-18-2012 at 07:28 AM. Reason: typing errors

Principal Administrator John Hubby's Avatar

Default Re: Can you identify this Anniverary clock (RE: Shayne)

Quote Originally Posted by Shayne View Post
    Hi John I asked my aunt to check the clock in the mean time for a serial # and she says that there is no serial #just KS on the left hand side of the back plate which would make it a Kern . The dial also has Kern ,I am confused I have to pay her a vist soon .

If you say only Kundo made these clocks then what have I stumbled across here?

I do not know much about the history of Kundo and Kern did they have any association ?

John at first i thought it could be a marriage of two clocks but we have

1) KS movement no serial
    2) Kern dail octagonal
    3) rectangular/square weights

What would be the approx production date.

Thanks
    Shayne
    Shayne, please do visit and take some photos so this can be sorted out. Kundo and Kern had no association that I am aware of, however this clock "may" be one of the Schlenker & Posner clocks that were completed and sold by Kern in 1938 and 1939 after they bought out the SuP business. We have already documented several SuP design clocks having Kern logo stamps so this may be another. The pendulum, however, I suspect to be a marriage as I've not seen any square/rectangular weight pendulum used by any company other than Kundo. Photos will tell the story, be sure to get good clear photos of the movement back plate, upper suspension bracket, pendulum, full clock front, dial etc.

Registered user.

Sure I will post pics.

Shayne

Registered user.

Default Re: Can you identify this Anniverary clock (RE: John Hubby)

Hi John I got some pics of the Kern as promised.

Shayne

Registered user.

Sorry here it is.

Shayne
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails photo 4.JPG   photo 3.JPG   photo 2.JPG   photo 1.JPG  

Default Re: Can you identify this Anniverary clock (RE: Shayne)

Shayne,

Your clock is a Kern. Pages from an undated Kern & Sohne catalogue shows the pendulum and dial used on some of their clock. Your exact clock is not shown.

Vic
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ICover.jpg   Model 504.jpg   Model 522.jpg  

Principal Administrator John Hubby's Avatar

Vic, I also was going to post that it was a Kern, thanks for confirming as well as the catalog scans. This type of "squared ball" pendulum I have only seen on Kern clocks, actually it is quite different from the Kundo version that was posted with the clock that started this thread.

Also, since I made my comment earlier about Kundo being the "only" one to use the particular octagon shaped dial on that same clock, I should have posted that most makers had some kind of octagon dial particularly in the 1920's/30's, but usually having quite a different appearance from the Kundo design. JUF, Kern & Link, Kern, and SuP all had octagon dials of one kind or other.

Default Re: Can you identify this Anniverary clock (RE: John Hubby)

As the pictures in in the Kern & Sohne catalogue posted by Vic were undated we cannot know when the square ball pendulum was first introduced by the company. However we do know for sure clocks with these pendulums were made by the company in the mid 1950s.

Pictures below show two clocks fitted with such pendulum. Both clocks are infact identical in many ways.
    Each has a wooden base quite similar but not identical to the one shown on the left picture in the catalogue page listed above .
    The name Kern is found on the octogan dial and a Kern & Sohne logo ( KS within a circle) stamped on the back plate on both clocks. The square ball pendulun of both clocks can be locked in position by raising the pendulum cup through turning a screw under the wood base. The upper part of the pendulum is then pushed against the collar above it and immobilizing the pendulum.

Undernearth the wooden base of each of these two clocks is a ink-stamped date : 24 Jan 1955.
    The date was most probably stamped there by the workers who assembled the clock at the factory.
    Here we probably have the rare instance of knowing not only the year and month but also the day when the clock was made.
    More information on these two clocks can be found in an article published in the March 2001 issue of The Torsion Times.

Mun C W

Attachment 122374Attachment 122375Attachment 122376Attachment 122377Attachment 122378Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3925-2.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	115.7 KB 
ID:	122379Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3917-2.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	134.6 KB 
ID:	122380Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3920-2.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	117.2 KB 
ID:	122381

[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME~1/muncw/LOCALS~1/Temp/msohtml1/01/clip_image001.gif[/IMG]

Default Re: Can you identify this Anniverary clock (RE: MUN CHOR-WENG)

Not sure why a few pictures in the above post did not get through.
    I will try reposting them here again.

Mun C WClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3887-1.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	135.1 KB 
ID:	122386Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3890-1.jpg 
Size:	109.8 KB 
ID:	122387Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3894-1.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	134.2 KB 
ID:	122428Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3921-4.jpg 
Size:	125.6 KB 
ID:	122449Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3925-2.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	115.7 KB 
ID:	122450

Registered user.

I had one of these, same base, pillars, pendulum, everything. BUT, the base did not have any locking mechanism, it was just bare except for the ring. I've always wondered if it was original, or if a hobbyist had built the base. Now I know! Thanks! I gave it to a girlfriend at the time. Needless to say, I have not seen the clock (or her) for some time now