Month's Goal: $300, Received: $10.00 - (3%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 916 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Can you identify this Anniverary clock

Large clock just the dome measures 11 inches high and 6 3/4 wide only makers mark is the stamping on back any help would be great.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0632.jpg   IMG_0635.jpg  

Blog Entries

Default Re: Can you identify this Anniverary clock (RE: Nochime)

Welcome,

The stamping appears to be K & O, or Keininger and Obergfell. Generally, these are identified by matching the sillhouette of the back plate to the sillhouette in the Horolovar guide. I don't know that they can be identified by a specific model number.

Registered user.

Default Re: Can you identify this Anniverary clock (RE: doug sinclair)

In the guide, it's plate number 1388.
    Mid '30s possibly?
    I think that one came in both brass and chrome (with a brass dial).

Default Re: Can you identify this Anniverary clock (RE: MartinM)

All here but block to connect wire to Rotary Pendulum. Wheres best place to find one,thanks for replies.

Principal Administrator John Hubby's Avatar

Nochime, welcome to the NAWCC Message Board and thanks for posting your inquiry and the photos of your clock.

There should be a serial number stamped at the bottom center of the back plate, mostly hidden behind the suspension guard. With the number I can provide the year it was made, if there is no number it was made in 1939.

Default Re: Can you identify this Anniverary clock (RE: John Hubby)

I took guard off and found no number at all.Why no number for 1939 ?

You can get the lower block from most suppliers. Check out the suppliers link in the clock repair forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Nochime View Post
    I took guard off and found no number at all.Why no number for 1939 ?
    I actually don't know the reason why Kundo stopped putting serial numbers on their clocks in 1939; however I have ample documentation to show that this did happen. There are two clocks identical to yours in my records having dated inscriptions one in late 1939 and the other in 1940, these could not have been made later than the inscriptions thus were from 1939 since I have other data proving serial numbering continued through the end of 1938 and likely into early 1939. The documented serial numbers in my Kundo database stop at 73669 which is very late 1938; my judgement is that these didn't go higher than 75000.

I am guessing this is a clock worth fixing up.I do not have a 400 day clock anyway.

Nice art deco clock
    Too many clocks and not enough time, Tony

Default Re: Can you identify this Anniverary clock (RE: Tony10Clocks)

Thanks for impuys I have ordered part hope it will run great.

Registered user.

Default Re: Can you identify this Anniverary clock (RE: doug sinclair)

Very nice clock are these hard to find ?
    I have seen one yesterday same condition as the pics just missing the usual suspension and blocks. Will check if it has any serial no .

Were there any other manufacturers who made octagonal dials ? or the square .... ..... what do I call them (pendulum wieghts) ?

Thanks
    Shayne

Default Re: Can you identify this Anniverary clock (RE: Shayne)

Shayne, this particular clock isn't common at all, I've documented only eight out of 237 total Kundos in my database (3.4 %). Schlenker & Posner made a very few clocks with this type dial but not with the rectangular pendulum weights. Kundo was the only maker having that design, pendulum No. 47 in the Repair Guide. There were at least four variants of this pendulum but all are Kundos.

I'll be interested to hear if the clock you've seen does have a serial number. The first of these in my data has serial number 38829, made right at the end of 1930, most of them were made in the 1936 to 1939 period.

Registered user.

Hi John sorry I did not reply earlier as I was rather busy thanks for your info .

I will try and go to my aunt's palce to check the clock for any serial the dial is a different design but same shape with square weights. Since I am new I would appreciate it if you could explain what you mean by (documented only eight out of 237 total Kundos in my database (3.4 %)

Is there any way of guessing how many of these clocks would not have serial nos ?

I have learnt so much from this forum thanks to all you guys.

Thanks

Shayne

Default Re: Can you identify this Anniverary clock (RE: Shayne)

Quote Originally Posted by Shayne View Post
    I will try and go to my aunt's palce to check the clock for any serial the dial is a different design but same shape with square weights. Since I am new I would appreciate it if you could explain what you mean by (documented only eight out of 237 total Kundos in my database (3.4 %)

Is there any way of guessing how many of these clocks would not have serial nos ?
    Shayne, what I indicated with the above statement is that as of this writing I have a total of 237 Kundos made between 1923 and 1939 in my database, and only eight of those (including yours) have the octagon dial. Of those eight clocks four have no serial number, reinforcing the comment I made that most of these were made late in the pre-war period.

For all of the clocks in my data, 16 don't have serial numbers or about 6.75% of the total. This is roughly proportional to one year's production over the 16-year period from Kundo's start of 400-Day production in 1923, which supports my thesis that serial numbering was stopped either in late 1938 or very early 1939. Production seems to have been relatively constant across these years, thus using the known serial numbered clocks there could have been about 5,000 clocks made without serial numbers, all from late 1938 to the cessation of production in late 1939 or early 1940.

The number of clocks having the exact design as your clock that did not have serial numbers is very speculative since these appear to have almost all been made for a trader. My judgement would be no more than 1,000 total of which half or somewhat more would have serial numbers.