Month's Goal: $300, Received: $120.00 - (40%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 886 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.

Default avance retard pocket watch

hello there!
    i'm sibren kamstra from the Netherlands. Some time ago I got a golden pocket watch from my father. it used to be a heirloom from his grandfather. It is a golden pocketwatch with two clocks (a big one and a little one). The big clock is numbered with roman numerals. On the back of the pocket watch is shown a running horse in nature. This is all I know from this little heirloom. I was wondering if you know something more about this pocket watch. I'm very curious about the awnsers!

Smile Re: avance retard pocket watch (RE: sibren)

Hello sibren:

Welcome to the NAWCC European & Other Pocket Watches Message Board!

Advance and Retard are the two directions to move the pointer (the Pocket Watch Regulator) to make the watch run faster (Advance) or slower (Retard).

It would be helpful if you could post pictures of the movement (the "works") and markings stamped inside of the watch case (you can ignore any "hand-scratched" characters, they're watch repairers' marks), the clearer and sharper, the better. Clearness and sharpness is important as differences in make or grade can be subtle. Other pictures will help a little, but these are the most important. We may be able to identify it by the shape of the plates.

You can test your efforts to post pictures in the Just Practicing and Learning Forum. If you have a problem getting the picture(s) to load, check your file size and make sure that it is less than 500Kb. If it is, it should load to be posted. Too large of a file size is probably the most common problem in trying to upload a picture.

Its also helpful if you can post all the markings that are on the movement (the "works"), especially the movement serial number, in case they can't be seen in the picture(s).

Good luck,
    Kent
    That guy down in Georgia

Registered user.

Default Re: avance retard pocket watch (RE: sibren)

Hi Sibren,

advance/retard is no brand, but just French for fast/slow. It indicates where to move the regulator lever to speed up or slow down the rate of the watch. French inscriptions usually indicate that it is a Swiss watch, and most old Swiss watches were made in a kind of home industry. They have no brand, nothing is recorded, and numbers helped only to keep case parts together, because they were not interchangable.

So to tell anything, we would need photos from the watch and the movement (the mechanism inside).

Regards, Roland Ranfft
    Identify your movement here

Default Re: avance retard pocket watch (RE: Roland Ranfft)

[IMG]file:///C:/Users/Sibren/AppData/Local/Temp/msohtmlclip1/01/clip_image002.jpg[/IMG][IMG]file:///C:/Users/Sibren/AppData/Local/Temp/msohtmlclip1/01/clip_image004.jpg[/IMG][IMG]file:///C:/Users/Sibren/AppData/Local/Temp/msohtmlclip1/01/clip_image006.jpg[/IMG][IMG]file:///C:/Users/Sibren/AppData/Local/Temp/msohtmlclip1/01/clip_image008.jpg[/IMG]

Default Re: avance retard pocket watch (RE: sibren)

Quote Originally Posted by sibren View Post

should upload now? image tags were in wrong place

edit. i guess not. either way, my grosjean frere watch has the same advance / retard marker in the movement. it is used to regulate ( speed up/slow down) the movement

Smile Re: avance retard pocket watch (RE: Aaron T Thoma)

These directions for posting images sound difficult, but it takes longer to read them than to actually do it.

To post one or more images, click on the "+ Reply to Thread" button which will cause a "Quick Reply" box to open. When that happens, scroll down to just below it and click on the "Go Advanced" button on the right-hand side.

When the "Reply to Thread" box opens, you can create your post that will acompany the images.

To actually add images or other files to your post, again scroll down, a little further this time, and click on the "Manage Attchments" button. This will open a new page, the "File Upload Manager."

Click on the "+ Add Files" button in the upper right-hand corner. This will open the "Upload Files from your Computer" box.

Within that box, click on the Select Files button, opening the "Select file(s) to upload by mb.nawcc.org" box. Navigate within that box to select the image file on your computer that you'd like to upload. Repeat as necessary to select additional files.

After the files are selected, click on the "Upload Files" button.

Then, once all of the thumbnail images appear in the "Attachments" box at the bottom of the page, and after your text is complete in the "Reply to Thread" box, click on either the "Preview Post" or "Submit Reply" button below the "Reply to Thread" box.

Good luck,
    Kent
    That guy down in Georgia

Default Re: avance retard pocket watch (RE: Kent)

or use image tags such as [img.] without the period followed by [/img] picture files usually will end in .jpg i know this is an old reply but still for what its worth it will help.. by the way. any updates on your heirloom?