Month's Goal: $300, Received: $350.00 - (117%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 421 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.

Default Junghans Quartz 85 movement W085/00675

Hi Folks. Now before you tell me to forget it, I would still like to get this clock going for a friend. It has some sort of sentimental value. They asked me to fix this clock and showed me a small white part that "fell out". This is the V shaped piece - one end goes over an eccentric on a gear the other end has a short rack which drives the face gear, which in turn drives the pendulum. When I opened the cover for the movement, most of the gears were loose inside. It appears to me that there is perhaps an intermediate plate that supports a couple of gears and the V shaped piece.....but alas it isn't there. If ever there was a place for tamperproof screws, this is it. The owner took the screws out to change the battery a year ago and all the guts fell out.

Does anyone have pictures of the inside of one of these movements? And I guess alternatively do they make a direct replacement for this movement? This pendulum doesn't have a suspension spring. The bottom of the pendulum is supported by a pivot and there is a pinion on the top of the pendulum shaft.

Thank you, David

Default Re: Junghans Quartz 85 movement W085/00675 (RE: David S)

Ok I kept searching and found a picture of the inside in one of the previous posts. I am good now. I should have done a more thorough search before.
    DAvid

Where is the picture of the inside. terryval

Default Re: Junghans Quartz 85 movement W085/00675 (RE: terryval)

Quote Originally Posted by terryval View Post
    Where is the picture of the inside. terryval

Is this what you need?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Quartz 85 movement inside.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	138.4 KB 
ID:	166350
    David S

Hello

This movement is made by HALLER.
    There are hundreds of different clocks with this movement.

Haller once praised this movement in his patent as a major innovation,
    because it needs no suspension spring.
    Unfortunately, it is a poor movement.

Sometimes it works, sometimes it does not work. (The same clock!!)
    And believe it or not, it stops because the axis of the stepper motor
    gets dirty.

I find my replacement movements for little money at the flea market.

Registered user.

Default Re: Junghans Quartz 85 movement W085/00675 (RE: DieteR)

Many of these style movements included the facility to use a seconds hand; but, in place of the seconds hand, a decorative button is used. Many times, the clock is stopping because the button is pushed onto its shaft, a bit too far. If there is no seconds hand, the minute hand can, on some clocks, hinder the seconds shaft and cause the same problem.
    The only other causes of stopping I've seen on these are severe corrosion (Usually related to the button issue, above and sometimes, terminal) or dirt/lint in the pendulum pivot or ball bearing.
    Living life at eight beats per minute.

Default Re: Junghans Quartz 85 movement W085/00675 (RE: MartinM)

David,

These were made in large numbers but there are no new replacements available AFAIK. In my experience these work very well. I like the feature that uses the flexibility of the long wish-bone to protect the mechanism from damage. A gross over-swing of the pendulum will just make the pinion chatter on the end of the rack. When the pendulum almost stops the mechanism will go back into action as if nothing unusual happened!

As already mentioned, these often show up in a plastic bag where someone took out the screws to change the battery ...

Willie X

Default Re: Junghans Quartz 85 movement W085/00675 (RE: Willie X)

Try Loricron in Asheville, NC. They have a replacement unit for these. http://www.loricron.com/

Default Re: Junghans Quartz 85 movement W085/00675 (RE: David B Pendley)

Hold on guys. This is an old post, that just came alive again when terryval in post #3 asked for a picture, which I provided. I actually repaired this movement. Some one had opened the gear compartment instead of the battery compartment and all the gears and wishbone fell out. When they brought it to me, it was missing the plate that holds the gears and wishbone. I had to make a new plate.
    David S