Month's Goal: $300, Received: $110.00 - (37%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 903 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.

Default Seth Thomas Mantle Clock, Model E511-003

Hello Friends - you all told me I might get addicted, and it might be happening..... Yesterday I bought a vintage Seth Thomas Mantle Clock, Model E511-003. I've attached a few pictures. This clock has a bunch of brass gears running it, no springs visible, and a single chime - a little hammer drops onto a long, horizontal rod. The clock chimes once on the half hour and the number of hours on the hour - no other music. I'm curious to know anything about it, including its approximate birthdate. I've read the general stuff on Seth Thomas clocks, but can't find anything specific on this model. Is it a regulator?

Also, the chimes are off-synch - and I can't seem to get them back right. The clock chimes once less than the hour - for instance, at 7, it chimes only 6 times. Any ideas on how to re-synch?

Thanks! Jean.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Seth Thomas Clock, front, low res.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	66.7 KB 
ID:	119361Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Seth Thomas Clock, back, low res.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	223.7 KB 
ID:	119362Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Seth Thomas Clock Key, low res.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	34.3 KB 
ID:	119363

Default Re: Seth Thomas Mantle Clock, Model E511-003 (RE: JeanEverett)

Nice looking clock from here. Depending on when it was made, you might find a 4 digit date code on movement. On one of my ST's there is a 4705 which would date the movement to May 1947.

You can turn the hour hand back an hour to get it in synch ( as long as its always striking an hour less then it should be). (striking clock as oposed to chiming clock that plays a tune )
    The ticking of a clock, the heartbeat of time

Forums Administrator harold bain's Avatar

Hi, Lynne, nice looking Tambour style clock. Tran Duy Ly's Seth Thomas book shows this model as the "Lynton", shown mostly in electric models, from 1949 to 1961. As Gilbert says, there may be a date code on the movement. His "fix" for your problem will work.
    harold bain, Member ch 33
    "If it won't "tick",
    let me "tock" to it"

Default Re: Seth Thomas Mantle Clock, Model E511-003 (RE: harold bain)

Thanks so much to you both! I did not realize I could turn the hour hand backwards, and was afraid to do that. There is a code stamped on the bottom - I think it is 5205, so I'm thinking the clock was made in May of 1952. I'll check when I get home. Is it odd for such a relatively young clock to be a winder? Take care. Jean.

Your translation of date code would be correct (even if numbers are off) , and hat would be about 3 1/2 years before the flood here that put ST out of the movement business. While it might seem odd on a young clock, there may well have been some that still liked mechanical wind up clocks (come to think of it, there still are )
    The ticking of a clock, the heartbeat of time

Forums Administrator harold bain's Avatar

Jean, they are still making wind up mantel clocks, but the modern movements are not nearly as good as yours.
    harold bain, Member ch 33
    "If it won't "tick",
    let me "tock" to it"

Default Re: Seth Thomas Mantle Clock, Model E511-003 (RE: harold bain)

OK, super - I got the clock re-synched, and it was made in May of 1951! The number 5105 is stamped on the bottom. We are delighted with this addition to our clock family! Thanks so much to you all. Yes, some of us still like the old things.... Jean.