Month's Goal: $300, Received: $240.00 - (80%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 940 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default mantle clock questions

I inherited this clock a year ago from my parents and I wondered if people would mind looking at it. I would love to know more about it. It does work and I have the key. Thanks much. Sabrina
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1970.jpg   IMG_1972.jpg   IMG_1973.jpg   IMG_1974.jpg   IMG_1976.jpg  

IMG_1991.jpg  

Forums Administrator harold bain's Avatar

Default Re: mantle clock questions (RE: cutetooboot)

Your mantel clock is a Winterhalder and Hoffmeier, a very good quality German maker, likely from the late 1880's to early 1900's.
    harold bain, Member ch 33
    "If it won't "tick",
    let me "tock" to it"

Default Re: mantle clock questions (RE: harold bain)

Thanks Harold

Sabrina, does it strike the hours using a double strike in quick succession and the half hours or is it a quarter striker like this one?

http://www.antiqueclockspriceguide.c.../clock8206.php
    Jonathan.

Default Re: mantle clock questions (RE: jmclaugh)

Jonathan, thanks for helping, that is very close to my clock. Mine has a double strike one time at a quarter after, (double) twice at half past, (double)3 times at three quarters past the hour and then it counts out the hour with one strike for each hour that it rests on. So what does that make it I'm sorry I'm so ignorant on the subject.

The only differences I can see when comparing the picture of that clock with are mine has glass sides and is not that ornate on the front. That's the exact face. Thanks!

Sabrina

Quote Originally Posted by cutetooboot View Post
    Jonathan, thanks for helping, that is very close to my clock. Mine has a double strike one time at a quarter after, (double) twice at half past, (double)3 times at three quarters past the hour and then it counts out the hour with one strike for each hour that it rests on. So what does that make it I'm sorry I'm so ignorant on the subject.

The only differences I can see when comparing the picture of that clock with are mine has glass sides and is not that ornate on the front. That's the exact face. Thanks!

Sabrina
    That means it is almost the same as the one in the link I posted, a type of chiming clock, some people call it ting tang.
    Jonathan.

Seriously...ting tang If I would have said that people would have made fun of me but that's perfect. I love the chimes. I would love a Westminster Chiming clock too. I went to school where they had a tower with a huge Westminster Clock and it echoed and it was fantastic...not that you care. LOL

Of course we care!
    And while at it, we're always serious about clocks, all day long - well, almost always.
    Bim Bam or ting tang are quite common terms of the horo-stuff, although ting tang
    might be more appropiate for bells.
    Then, your clock strikes. Chimes make up a melody, like Westminster, St. Michaels and
    perhaps a dozen more.
    Over here in Germany, we call your type of movement a "quarter strike", which is a variant
    of the so called "petite sonnerie".
    Jurgen "tempus nostrum"

Default Re: mantle clock questions (RE: soaringjoy)

Jurgen, that was a very sweet response... And funny too!

I will have to look up the "petite sonnerie" online and see if I can find out what it is and what it sounds like. And sadly, I don't know what St. Michael's sounds like either. I may have heard it...and not realize that's the name for it.

My first post on this board was for a time recorder that I bought. Then it occurred to me that maybe I could ask about my parents' clock. I had no idea there was so much to learn. The time recorder has the wonderful "tick tock" and the mantle clock has the chime so together my house sounds very happy. I do appreciate how much everyone is helping. It's bad in a way because now I will wonder about the history of every clock I see. (it's only bad because...like the time recorder...I will want to save every one(clock) and take them home and that might prove expensive).

Thanks so much for the information. I will look up some of these things you talked about.

Sabrina

and that is how it starts...... soon you'll have no wall space or flat surfaces left in your house...
    The clock on the wall says 3 o'clock.......

Quote Originally Posted by cutetooboot View Post
    Seriously...ting tang If I would have said that people would have made fun of me but that's perfect. I love the chimes. I would love a Westminster Chiming clock too. I went to school where they had a tower with a huge Westminster Clock and it echoed and it was fantastic...not that you care. LOL
    I know it sounds funny but yes it really is 'ting tang'. It is probably more of a UK term than elsewhere and describes a quarter striking system that has two hammers that sound 'ting, tang' at quarter past, 'ting tang, ting tang' at half past etc and one strike for each hour.

I think of 'bim bam' as being a clock that strikes the hours and half hours only, it strike the hours using a double strike in quick succession, hence 'bim bam'. So at 1 o'clock it will strike 'bim bam', at two 'bim, bam, bim, bam' etc and one strike for the half hour.

Some regard the two terms as being interchangeable, I won't even try to go into Roman striking and I probably need to go and lie down now.

I care very much which is why I don't now have any chiming clocks in the house as to quote my wife, "they do my head in after a while".
    Jonathan.

I'm sorry that you don't have at least one chiming clock in the house because one is pretty. At least the one I have. If I do get a second, I will let you know if it becomes a little loud. LOL. I think I will probably chance it. ;

I may have to get a "bim, bam" clock. Is the "bim, bam" specific to any style of clock or do they have it in anything someone chose to put it in? (see ignorant in the dictionary and find my name).

Sabrina

The 'BIM BAM' clocks I have seen are usually Tambour or Banjo styles, don't know if other types used this type of strike.

(when you look up Tambour, you may have to try napolean hat, or humpback)
    Last edited by gilbert; 02-02-2012 at 08:15 AM.
    The ticking of a clock, the heartbeat of time

Default Re: mantle clock questions (RE: gilbert)

Thanks Gilbert....I will have to look those up what those are .

Bad case of clock virus, I'd say. Get's you shaking all over, when you see a clock, right.
    Some can be cured, some are addicted for life.

As you probably have seen, we're a very international site and sometimes terms can have
    a very different meaning, depending on the country or the language, but usually, we get along
    very well with each other.

Ok, Bim Bam strikes are also most often found in German wall clocks (box clocks) of the 1920s and 1930s.
    They have three or more gong rods then.
    In fact, Bim Bam sounds like a "ding dong" door bell.
    Jurgen "tempus nostrum"