Month's Goal: $300, Received: $350.00 - (117%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 822 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.

Default Churchill clockworks ltd

Can anyone refer me to a website which gives a history of Churchill Clockworks Ltd?

Default Re: Churchill clockworks ltd (RE: J Geronime)

Welcome to the Message Board.

In an instant, the only hit I got on Churchill, was that they may have been associated
    with D. Gruen & Sons, Columbus, OH.
    But I must admit, I'm not at all sure about that "match", it's way off my tracks.

Someone will come around and know more, I suppose.

Jurgen
    Jurgen "tempus nostrum"

Quote Originally Posted by J Geronime View Post
    Can anyone refer me to a website which gives a history of Churchill Clockworks Ltd?
    There is an old post related to this company which I seem to remember was affiliated with C Jerome to assemble clocks in the South to avoid taxes?
    "The label contains the following.
    Superior Eight Day Brass Clocks Manufactured By L.M. Churchill & Co. Hamburg, SC. Warranted To Keep First Rate Time With Good USA??. Under this, Augusta Post Mirror. There is an Eagle clutching arrows in his talons and an E Pluribus Unum ribbon in his beak. I assume L.M. Churchill was a Merchant in this town.
    Hamburg SC was a town founded by Henry Shultz in about 1821 across the Savannah River from Augusta GA and was a prosperous river trading town until the construction of the South Carolina Railroad from Charleston to Augusta in 1833 and the Augusta canal in 1848. Hamburg was a ghost town by the time of the Civil War. The town was repopulated and governed by freedmen after the war but declined for good after the Hamburg Riot in 1876. The clock must be from this era.

Default Re: Churchill clockworks ltd (RE: Jay)

Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    There is an old post related to this company which I seem to remember was affiliated with C Jerome to assemble clocks in the South to avoid taxes?
    "The label contains the following.
    Superior Eight Day Brass Clocks Manufactured By L.M. Churchill & Co. Hamburg, SC. Warranted To Keep First Rate Time With Good USA??. Under this, Augusta Post Mirror. There is an Eagle clutching arrows in his talons and an E Pluribus Unum ribbon in his beak. I assume L.M. Churchill was a Merchant in this town.
    Hamburg SC was a town founded by Henry Shultz in about 1821 across the Savannah River from Augusta GA and was a prosperous river trading town until the construction of the South Carolina Railroad from Charleston to Augusta in 1833 and the Augusta canal in 1848. Hamburg was a ghost town by the time of the Civil War. The town was repopulated and governed by freedmen after the war but declined for good after the Hamburg Riot in 1876. The clock must be from this era.
    My impression was that J Geronime was refering to a much later company (perhaps 20th century), based in Europe or Canada, judging from the use of "Ltd."

Default Re: Churchill clockworks ltd (RE: Steven Thornberry)

The clock we are looking at has a quartz movement.

Oh well.
    That might make a big difference, because quartz clocks often had some kind
    of phantasy names on the dials. In multitudes, that is...
    Jurgen
    Jurgen "tempus nostrum"

Forums Administrator harold bain's Avatar

A lot of new quartz clocks have somewhat fictitious names on the dials to make them look 100 or more years old. I suspect yours is one of these. Unless there is a Churchill Clockworks in China
    harold bain, Member ch 33
    "If it won't "tick",
    let me "tock" to it"

Default Re: Churchill clockworks ltd (RE: harold bain)

A lot of new quartz clocks have somewhat fictitious names on the dials to make them look 100 or more years old.
    It's not a smart trend, but sadly people don't mind them. They'd probably be surprised to know clocks really made 100 years ago were not usually made with the impression of looking old when brand new.
    Justin A. Olson