Month's Goal: $300, Received: $235.00 - (78%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 2934 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.

Default Replacing Torsion Springs on 400 Day Clocks

I have a recurring problem when putting in new torsion springs with the clock running too fast even with the pendulum adjusted full out. I always replace the springs using the original blocks & fork and use horolovar springs. Use the Horolvar book and a spring jig assurring proper length and placement of the fork. Choose the correct thickness from the book and double check with a micrometer & also measuring the old spring for reference. I check the calibration of my mic's with feeler gauges. Will almost always have to stone down the spring to make it thinner or switch to a thinner one to get the clock to run at a good rate. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks, Leadpot

Default Replacing Torsion Springs on 400 Day Clocks (RE: leadpot)

Leadpot, if you don't mind me asking whats the plate number of the clock you are working with?

Hi Jeff,

The one I'm currently working on is Plate 1406H, that calls for unit 5E, .0023

OK, I hate to ask but just have to eliminate this as a potential You adjusted the rate fully clockwise looking down on the adjustment nut? If not, you went the wrong way.
    A man with a clock always knows the time. A man with two clocks is never sure.

No problem with the question. Was adjusted correctly, the balls outward as far as they would go. This is not the first one I've had a problem with, probably do about 1 a month, currently have 3 in right now. This is a recurring problem with the majority I work on. Know it must be something I'm overlooking.

In looking at my repair notes, I have two of those miniature Kundos and they fit up correctly within regulation but I have a Kundo midget that has the .0022" suspension spring but needed to be thinned because it was too fast. Does this only happen to the miniature or midget anniversary clocks you work on or all of them? I'm pretty sure I have read in some previous topics on the subject that this may be common to the miniature/midget clocks.

Just some thoughts,

Thanks Jeff,

Never thought about it only being a problem with the miniatures, guess I haven't paid attention to that aspect. Will start seeing if that is the case, thanks again - leadpot

Unless the spring is grossly short, I can't think of anything that will effect the timing significantly except the thickness of the spring.
    Let us know what you find on the miniatures idea.

There are several ways the speed of a Torsion Clock is affected.

1) Thickness, Width, and material of the suspension spring.

2) Length of the suspension spring.

3) Weight of the Pendulum.

We assume originality and that no one has messed with the pendulum or has swapped pendulums.

One of the parameters that I am looking to add to My Special Project is an exact weight of the pendulum for each clock that is presented. This will give a better presentatation of the size of Suspension Spring needed.

Lets back up just a tad How much too fast are these clocks running? The consistency thing is of concern - you can get an odd ball once in a while, but every time is a tough one to figure out. You verify the spring with a micrometer - does that mean you don't go with the spring until it "mic's" right? I trust the springs and don't have this issue.