Month's Goal: $300, Received: $240.00 - (80%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 3910 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.
    tymekeypur

Default Bulova Accuquartz

...have a Bulova AccuQuartz watch w/o power...what research I've done indicates my best battery bet is a silver oxide #344...but I can't find one anywhere...the watch came to me w/a #395 which when I replaced it gave me a two second start...any assistance re: proper battery and where to find same would be much appreciated...Jim C

jc #157194

tymekeypur

Default Bulova Accuquartz (RE: tymekeypur)

...have a Bulova AccuQuartz watch w/o power...what research I've done indicates my best battery bet is a silver oxide #344...but I can't find one anywhere...the watch came to me w/a #395 which when I replaced it gave me a two second start...any assistance re: proper battery and where to find same would be much appreciated...Jim C

jc #157194

Blog Entries

Jim,

Most Accutrons will function quite nicely on the 1.5 volt 344 cell. I have personally never encountered an Accuquartz that acted up with the higher voltage cell. Have you tried re-phasing it to see if that makes a difference? Of course, the 1.35 volt 343 mercury cell is no longer available. I doubt you'll even find one. And if you do, it would likely be dead anyway because of the finite shelf life. I'd try the re-phasing and stay with the 344 and see what happens. If that doesn't work, you might want to try an Accu-Cell which is available from many horological suppliers. They are expensive, and I hear mixed reviews about how good they are.

A final note. I have an Accuquartz that has ALWAYS gained 1 second per day since my late father acquired it 30 years ago. The regulators have proven totally ineffectual on it. So 2 seconds a day might have to be tolerated.

Doug

tymekeypur

...Doug, I've no doubt not explained myself properly...I would like to try a #344 but can't locate one...the watch had a #395 battery in it and I replaced it w/a #395 battery and it ran for only two seconds...thanks...Jim C

jc #157194

Jim, Send me your address off post and I will send you the 344..I picked up a bunch last week.
    Ray

Jim,
    I also have a few of the Accucell 1.35 volt batteries to replace the 343 and 387

Regards,
    Ray

Blog Entries

Jim,

I mis-read your post. Sorry. Yes, the 344 is also obsolete. The 395 is smaller in diameter, but the same thickness and voltage as the 344. These cells go in with the printed side DOWN. Is that how you put it in? If it was in upside down, test the voltage before you put it back in. If you had it in properly, sorry for asking. Does the watch hum with a good cell in it? If yes and the hands still don't move, it could be an indexing problem. If the cell is good and in the watch correctly, and the watch is not humming, give the watch a light tap with the finger tip and listen again for the hum. On occasion you have to do that to get the tuning fork vibrating, believe it or not. (At this point I prepare myself to be told yet again that this can't happen, but it DOES!)These watches have a hack which stops the hands when the crown is pulled out. I trust the crown is in the RUN position? I hope you don't view this dissertation as an insult. Accutrons and Accuquartz are a different breed of watch, and observations such as these must be made.

By the way, if the battery is good, and in the watch correctly, and tapping it doesn't start it to hum, and the crown is in the run position, you likely have a dead circuit.

Doug S.

tymekeypur

...well I followed your checklist to the 'T' Doug and 'no go'...have already written the 'obit' for the watch's owner...thanks for your help...and to you as well Ray for the battery offer...much appreciate it...thanks...Jim

jc #157194

Blog Entries

Jim,

Is the circuit making the tuning fork hum? If it is, then phasing may be all that is necessary. If it hums, there is still a chance. Did you use a high powered loupe to see if both the pawl and index jewels are positioned on the EDGE of the index wheel? They can become out of alignement through a fall or bad bump.

Doug S.

tymekeypur

...yes Doug, both jewels are positioned on the index wheel (save when the crown is pulled to 'hack')...no, there is not a 'whisper' from the movement...no movement in the armatures...so, unless the 395 is not the right 'powerpack' then it is, as you surmised earlier, 'likely a dead circuit'...thanks for all the advice...Jim
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

jc #157194

Blog Entries

Jim,

Check all screws in and around the circuit area for tightness. If they are tight, and there isn't a short somewhere (maybe check the battery one more time), I'd say the circuit is dead. Too bad.

Doug

To Doug,
    The regulators on a 227 or Accuquartz have no effect on the timekeeping. They are only to poise the fork.The speed is regulated by the quartz ciecuit.
    J Smith

Blog Entries

Julian,

Yes! I discovered that when I tried to regulate the Accuquartz. It is so long since I have worked on one of those, I've forgotten if there is a trimmer in them for regulating the time.

Doug