Month's Goal: $300, Received: $300.00 - (100%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 1032 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.
    Registered user.

Default Help identifying black slate mantle clock

I need help identifying a black slate mantle clock. I believe it to be French but can find no markings.

The winding mechanism is what got my attention. It has no key holes on the face but winds from a knob that is pulled out of the center of the face. Turn clockwise to wind the chime and counter to wind the time.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_5231a.jpg   IMG_5233a.jpg   IMG_5232a.jpg   IMG_5234a.jpg   IMG_5237a.jpg  

IMG_5238a.jpg  
    Last edited by brueggy; 12-30-2011 at 01:12 PM. Reason: trouble displaying images

Default Re: Help identifying black slate mantle clock (RE: brueggy)

Interesting tandem wind clock. I would agree with what I can see, looks to be French.
    Larry Pearson, FNAWCC* #35863

Forums Administrator harold bain's Avatar

Default Re: Help identifying black slate mantle clock (RE: lpbp)

Hi, Brueggy, welcome to the message board. Have a close look at the backplate of the movement, using a magnifying glass, to see if you can find any trademark stamps. I agree with Larry, it certainly looks very French to me. Never seen a French tandem wind clock before.
    harold bain, Member ch 33
    "If it won't "tick",
    let me "tock" to it"

Registered user.

Default Re: Help identifying black slate mantle clock (RE: harold bain)

There are numbers stamped on the bottom of the back plate:
    3 7
    5 2

and on the top, a very faint scribing of what looks like"

AH624

other than that nothing.

The chime has LP stamped into it.

Brueggy

Default Re: Help identifying black slate mantle clock (RE: brueggy)

An interesting an unusual clock, I've never seen a French movement wind like that and it certainly appears to be French. Are the barrels in line or is it using gearing to wind them? From the photo it seems the movement isn't deep enough for them to be line.

The arbor for what appears to be a suspension adjustment protrudes much further than it should.
    Jonathan.

Registered user.

Default Re: Help identifying black slate mantle clock (RE: jmclaugh)

The barrels are horizontal left and right.

The suspension adjusting arbor is out in the picture to show where it is. It sits flush with the face. The center winding arbor pushes in as well to appear to be a large knob on the hands.

Registered user.

Default Help identifying black slate mantle clock (RE: brueggy)

I am trying to identify a black stale mantle clock. This is a very heavy mantle clock. We think it is french. It has a very unique winding mechanism. It is an 8-day movement that is wound by an arbor (handle) that is on the face of the clock in the center where the hands meet. There is no key as this arbor is fixed in place. There are two drums holding the springs, one left and one right at the same level. You open the beveled glass crystal and extend the arbor on a knob in the center of the face where the hands come together. Turn clockwise for strike and counterclockwise for time. There is also an adjusting arbor at the top of the face that extends for minor corrections without the need to adjust the pendulum from the rear.

There are no markings on the face. On the movement the back has stamped the numbers 3 and 7 a quarter inch from the bottom and 5 and 2 below that.
    I looks like a very faint AH629 hand scratched into the top of the back plate.
    Also on the striking coil at the base are LP in an oval stamped.

Thanks for your help

Forgive me if this is a duplicate. I asked this before the software upgrade and now cannot find the post.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2790.jpg   2789.jpg   2788.jpg   2787.jpg   2786.jpg  

IMG_5237a.jpg