Month's Goal: $300, Received: $235.00 - (78%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 449 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered user.

Default Looking for pictures of an original case for "Remember" clock

Greetings,
    I recently acquired a Vienna Regulator clock that the case has been heavily modified--basically it has lost it's top & bottom, and door side trim. See pictures. the existing top & bottom are somewhat crudely made, and nailed onto the case with visible nails, as are the door side trim pieces. This case is a little unusual in that the dial is behind a "window" in a wood front panel, then there's a rectangular window below that to expose the weights and pendulum.
    I'd like to replicate the top & bottom, but need some pictures (measurements would be even better!) of what they looked like.
    The mechanism is made by Gebr. Resch of the Resch Brothers in Ebensee, Austria and is known as "Remember Clock Co." I do note that, other than the surface veneer of Walnut, the case appears to be made of a soft wood, like pine. Is this "normal"?
    Many thanks!
    David D.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails clock1 web.JPG   clock open web.JPG   base underside web.JPG   door edge.JPG   top from top web.JPG  

Default Re: Looking for pictures of an original case for "Remember" clock (RE: David Dewey)

Yeah, I don't know the specie but yeah; These are usually made of construction grade, common, relatively soft wood. Most often the backboard has a lively quarter or bookmatch crotch veneer of possibly walnut, rosewood, or mahogany. Often the base piece has a bookmatch also of same or complementing veneer. Sometimes the door frame front only has a veneer. Often the remainder of the case is faux grain, ebonised, or dark toning. If you remove that trim on the door you might find shadows of original trim there - often some kind of pediment on each corner.
    Top is most often treated with an inverted cornice molding flush with top of case. To the top then often is some kind of suitable ornament - gesso, wood carving, architectural designs, etc.
    Do you suppose that wood panel surrounding the dial is original? I suspect it is not. Most viennas have a "floating" dial with no wood surround. Now, if that is original it may aid in learning the original design of the clock.
    If you haven't already, avail yourself of this collection from our members:
    VIENNA CLOCKS
    I note one Resch, P10 and another by BOGEY, P12. Bogey's would mirror my goal for yours.
    Last edited by Scottie-TX; 12-28-2011 at 07:44 PM.

Registered user.

Default Re: Looking for pictures of an original case for "Remember" clock (RE: Scottie-TX)

HI Scottie,
    Re: the wood surround. If the door is original, which all signs indicate it probably is, I think that is the way it was originally made. The outside surface has a thin layer of walnut veneer over softwoods. Also the circular surround and the door glass trim is much fancier and nicer than the modifications.
    Yes, I did check out the threads you mentioned, and saved the photos. Nothing like this case door though. I would suspect, based on the serial number, that this clock is pretty late in their production, probably close to 1900.
    I would also guess that it was likely two-toned, due to the un-veneeered side wood, which would have to be faux grained or stained dark to hide it, and the staining would be the more economical way to cover it.
    Thanks for you help!
    Keep those cards & letters coming folks!
    David D.

Default Re: Looking for pictures of an original case for "Remember" clock (RE: David Dewey)

Well, Gebr. Resch was taken over by Junghans in 1901 and
    the "Remember" logo was also introduced in that year.

This is a nice thread on the topic, also noting a NAWCC bulletin
    article on Resch and Remember:

http://mb.nawcc.org/showthread.php?t...ighlight=Resch

These plainer case styles came up just around WW 1, afaik, because
    the traditional "Alt Deutsch" cases were considered old fashioned by
    some, leading to sales drops. The makers eventually added these more
    "modern" cases to their programs.

Jurgen
    Jurgen "tempus nostrum"

Registered user.

Default Re: Looking for pictures of an original case for "Remember" clock (RE: soaringjoy)

Hi Jurgen,
    Unfortunately someone (in authority) in the past made the statement that the "Remember" was added in 1901, but documentation and existing clocks show that it was done much earlier than that, back when the factory was first moved (I'm on dial up, so don't want to take a half-hour looking for the site that clears this up).Note that the clock in the thread you linked to is about 100,000 earlier than mine and has "Remember" on it. However, "Remembrance" was added in 1901--probably where the confusion started. For being such a prolific maker, I am surprised that there is no correlation available between serial numbers and dates--you'd think we could at least figure out decades, or some year range just by looking at existing clocks & making some assumptions on production numbers.
    But back to my case dilemma! This front door treatment is unique enough that I would think another example could be found. Hope hope hope!
    The attached picture is of the stampings on my clock's plate--not the best photo, I'll have to take another sometime, but you can see that mine is from the 200,000 series.

Thanks all,
    David D.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails works stamping web.JPG  

Registered user.

Scottie,
    Well, I took off one of the door side trim pieces--not hard, only five 16 ga. finishing nails holding it on. All that I found was raw lumber--looks like maybe some hide glue on it, so no hint of piediments or anything. Rats. Although the clock that was suggested to me on German eBay with a similar front has just straight lumber additions on the door edges.
    I wonder where else I can look for pictures of Resch clocks?
    Thanks!
    David

Blog Entries

David, before you go modifying the case of this Resch too much, I do not believe it is too far away from what it would have been originally. Take a look at this link and you will find a two weight Resch in a box style case. If yours had the beveled glass fitted, it wouldn't look too different to this one.

http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/9296283
    Cheers
    Peter R Lee: AKA (Pee-Tah) from Australia

Registered user.

Default Re: Looking for pictures of an original case for "Remember" clock (RE: leeinv66)

Hi Peter,
    Wow, that's great! The photos show some details I've wondered about. The pulleys match the one that came with the clock--rats, there was a mate on eBay, I didn't bid high enough and someone else bought it.
    The soft case wood is also visible in the pics, so I do believe that the main case itself is original. I would say that my clock is either a cheaper model, or maybe the door glass was replaced, losing the beveled, leaded glass.
    Wish the auction showed the serial number!
    But we're getting closer! Many thanks!
    Oh, it also gives me a better idea of the size of weights used too.
    David D.

Default Re: Looking for pictures of an original case for "Remember" clock (RE: leeinv66)

Hi leein66,
    The pictures with the beautiful bevel leaded glass has been most helpful to me. I was looking for information on this case that I bought a whiles back. Just like David I wanted to know what mine should look like. On the back of the box there is a stamp that says Ludwig Krandisch , Uhrmacher , Stein & Donau , est 1874. but there is nothing on the two weight movement. However there is a 09 stamped on the movement plate. Here are some pics.
    I actually got it like this ,the only thing is I just replaced the glass this week. I was wondering who is ludwig that is stamped on the back of the case.?. Thanks
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC05164.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	94.9 KB 
ID:	191708Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC05159.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	69.0 KB 
ID:	191709Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC05160.jpg 
Size:	70.3 KB 
ID:	191710Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC05161.jpg 
Size:	49.7 KB 
ID:	191711Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC05162.jpg 
Size:	65.9 KB 
ID:	191712Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC05163.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	101.1 KB 
ID:	191713

Registered user.

Default Re: Looking for pictures of an original case for "Remember" clock (RE: clockinit2)

Great pics, just what I think I've been looking for. Could you post pics of the bottom of the case, and an end view of the door, so I can get a better idea of the door edge trim shape? I have found no markings on my case, just on the movement. It looks pretty obvious to me at least, that the top and bottom of my case have been altered, as well as the door side edges. for what reason--I have no idea--maybe the top and bottom to fit the wall where it was hung??
    Thanks!
    David Dewey

here are more pictures of the case. I sure wish I knew how to fit leaded bevel glass I would fit clear bevel glass to the case.
    David and what does the back mounting plate for the movement looks like ? what is the length on your pendulum? How much does the weights weigh, and are they the fancy engraved weights?. I did not get those with mine when I bought it..
    Thanks

Name:	DSC05172.jpg 
Size:	72.8 KB 
ID:	191739Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC05165.jpg 
Size:	73.6 KB 
ID:	191740Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC05166.jpg 
Size:	71.5 KB 
ID:	191741Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC05167.jpg 
Size:	75.5 KB 
ID:	191742Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC05168.jpg 
Size:	68.2 KB 
ID:	191743Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC05169.jpg 
Size:	85.9 KB 
ID:	191744Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC05170.jpg 
Size:	67.7 KB 
ID:	191745Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC05171.jpg 
Size:	85.8 KB 
ID:	191746
    Last edited by clockinit2; 09-01-2013 at 01:54 PM. Reason: Added some more questions.

Registered user.

Default Re: Looking for pictures of an original case for "Remember" clock (RE: clockinit2)

Egads, the backs look nearly identical! Here's some pics of the pendulum and my wheels. Note the pendulum has the clock serial number on it even! According to my bath scales, it weighs around one pound. I too, did not get the weights with my clock.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails pendulum side web.JPG   case back web.JPG   pendulum front web.JPG   Pendulum back web.JPG   pendulum top web.JPG  

HI David,
    Thanks that give me a good reference of what I need to purchase as far as the pendulum and wheels. If only I knew what the movement mount look like. It looks like you are missing a few pieces of wood ath the top and bottom, but you should be able to find something close to what it looks like.
    Thanks again

Registered user.

I'll photograph that tonite--I don't remember what it looks like either!
    In some ways, I think my clock was more complete than yours--except for the case mods.

Registered user.

Sorry, took longer than I thought to take the pics. I'm also posting a pic of the pendulum scale piece and the stampings on my works--did you find any on yours?
    From looking at things, it appears that my mount base has been moved in the case, or replaced. Another mystery! It looks like you could make a base with a little patience and a small lathe--or even a drill clamped in a vise and a file!
    My clock only came with one pulley, I found the other one on eBay, so they are out there somewhere (maybe with The Truth?? )
    Note that the pendulum hangs from the mount, not the works, explaining the slot in the pendulum.

Name:	mounting base & works web.JPG 
Size:	24.8 KB 
ID:	192022Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mounting Base side web.JPG 
Size:	23.2 KB 
ID:	192023Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pendulum align plate web.JPG 
Size:	32.1 KB 
ID:	192024Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pulley web.JPG 
Size:	12.9 KB 
ID:	192025Click image for larger version. 

Name:	works stamping web.JPG 
Size:	88.0 KB 
ID:	192026