Month's Goal: $300, Received: $350.00 - (117%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 843 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.
    Registered user.

Default Vintage Bulova Wrist Watch

Hi,
    I need some ID help and some education, if I may. I snatched up a watch today at auction that got my attention. It has a 10AN movement with the number 6463(5or6)5. The back cover says B.W.C. Co Monarch 747375. The band says Hadley Pat. Pend. Hadleyite.

I'd like to get model info and date it so I can move forward to work on a value. Any other info that could help educate me about items like this would be appreciated.

'preciate it!
    Buddy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_5926 [320x200].jpg   IMG_5931 [320x200].jpg   IMG_5933 [320x200].jpg  

Registered user.

Default Re: Vintage Bulova Wrist Watch (RE: BuddyC01)

One thing I didn't notice before examining the pictures is it looks like some letters and numbers are scratched on the inside back cover. Would this be worth trying to figure out?

thx

Registered user.

Hi Buddy,
    The numbers and letters scratched in the back of the case are most likely from watchmakers that performed repairs on the watch. They almost always are only meaningful to the watchmaker that put them there.
    Samantha

Default Re: Vintage Bulova Wrist Watch (RE: Samantha)

Buddy,

Your watch likely dates to the late 1920s, and there should be a date code inscribed on the movement. The case is an aftermarket replacement made by the Brooklyn Watch Case Co. I believe thay their "Monarch" grade is a 10k gold-filled case, but I would have to check to be sure. I also believe that the case may actually pre-date the movement by a few years.

Hope this helps,

Cary
    Cary Hurt

Registered user.

Default Re: Vintage Bulova Wrist Watch (RE: Cary Hurt)

Thanks for the replies. Looking at some of the links to BWC and Monarch I'm confused about the case. If it is/was gold filled but has a silver appearance does that mean the gold layer has worn off? Would gold only have been on the exterior? Looking at the scratches on the inside back the scratched metal layer is the same color as the surface.

Thanks again
    Buddy

If it's white/sliver then it is white gold if there are markings indication it is gold. I have several old white gold Bulovas around and all are marked 10k rgp (rolled gold plate). Gold come in many colors: yellow, rose, white and probably others.
    Thanks - Al M. - Plano, TX
    "Confusion never stops Closing walls and ticking clocks" ~ Coldplay 'Clocks'

Default Re: Vintage Bulova Wrist Watch (RE: everydaycats)

Might be 20s, but with a center seconds I'd think late 30's myself.

At any rate, check the marking on the movment -- it will be a symbol of some sort, there are charts on the web showing which ones Bulova used. They repeat up to the late 40's, when Bulova switched first to the last two digits of the year then a letter/digit code. Typically on a 10AN the symbol will be stamped near one of the screws on the barrel bridge (near the large winding wheel), although it can be almost anywhere.

Also, while white gold was popular mostly in the 20s, I've got an Elgin from the mid 40's in white gold plate. Another thing to be aware of is that during WWII, a date I think is more likely for your watch, cases were often RGP on sterling silver since brass was hard to get. This may or may not be marked in the case, and the case may not be the same age as the watch.

Peter

Default Re: Vintage Bulova Wrist Watch (RE: psfred)

Dr. Ranftt lists the 10AN movement as beginning production in 1935, so perhaps a few years later than my original estimate. The case is definitely not original, and is definitely earlier than the movement.

Bulova, beginning in 1923, sold complete watches, cased at the factory. Their cases are signed "American Standard" with a metal content up until 1926. After that, the signature includes "Bulova" in one of about four different formats.

BWC (for the Brooklyn Watch Case Co.) was owned by Fahy's. They produced watch cases only, and didn't market complete watches. Their cases were made in standard sizes to be matched to an appropriate movement by a watchmaker or jeweler. This Bulova movement is 10 1/2 lignes, a standard Swiss measurement, and a common one at that. The "Monarch" name indicates a 14 karat gold-filled case, which is white gold-filled in this case. White gold was quite popular in the 1920s and 1930s, as has been mentioned by other posters. The use of the "Monarch" notation, rather than a karat value, indicates that this case was produced prior to 1924, when a change in FTC regulations required the metal content to be stamped in the case.

I believe that this watch either had a solid gold case that was scrapped at some point in it's life, or perhaps more likely, it's original case was worn out or damaged beyond repair, and it was placed in this case to keep it in operation. This could have been done 60 or more years ago, as good watches were hard to come by in the depression and WW2 years, so watchmakers would go to great lengths to keep a good movement in service, or it may have been done much more recently by a collector or dealer who matched them up.
    Cary Hurt

Registered user.

Default Re: Vintage Bulova Wrist Watch (RE: Cary Hurt)

Good discussion.... Thanks! I saw the date symbol the other day and thought it might be significant. It's between the large brass gear and the outer edge. It's a kind of a shield shape which I just found on a chart that dates the movement to either 1929 or 1939. Also I found a spot on the case that looks like the finished surface is over brass.
    Now the bad news. It ran for just over a couple of hours and now I can't get it going.

Buddy

Registered user.

Hi Buddy,

then it is pretty surely from 1929. First because it still has a serial number (usually never found after 1930), secondly because this calibre was only made between 1925 and 1935.

Regards, Roland Ranfft
    Identify your movement here

Registered user.

Default Re: Vintage Bulova Wrist Watch (RE: Roland Ranfft)

Thanks so much

Buddy

Registered user.

Default Re: Vintage Bulova Wrist Watch (RE: Roland Ranfft)

Ha! Learned something else.... The watch wasn't running because I had the back off. I guess I've never had a watch that did that. I noticed a small bent metal piece sticking up in the middle and wondered what that was for.

Registered user.

Hi Buddy,

I guess you mean the friction spring. It should not stand up, but apply a little pressure to the end of the second-hand arbor. This prevents the second hand from erratically jumping around. Likely the second hand hooks up at the mintute hand, when the back is open, and the closed back pushes the spring and thus the arbor up, enough for sufficient distance between both hands.

Regards, Roland Ranfft
    Identify your movement here