Month's Goal: $300, Received: $45.00 - (15%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 991 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.

Default 17 jewels watch. help!

I have a 17 jewels womens hidden watch that was my grandmothers. Its has all the jewels in the watch but the jeweler told me it couldn't be repaired to working condition. It has beautiful stones on the outside but its missing a few and I wanted to get them replaced. I can remember there being coral colors in it when I was younger, but I can't find a picture to compare and see what other colors should go in it. I would love to have it completely repaired/restored but I just can't seem to find one to compare it to so I have the original condition. The main stone in the bracelet part is a dark green with teal and blue accent stones. The jewels in the watch part are red. If someone could help me id greatly appreciate it, I lost my grandmother several years ago and since she didn't have money, I know it won't be worth anything...but it means the world to me.

Thanks!
    Samantha

Blog Entries

Default Re: 17 jewels watch. help! (RE: SamanthaW)

Hi Samantha, take the watch to a watch repair person, this person is not interested in helping you.Most or all watches can be repaired.
    Take it to a competent person and ask for a estimate.
    If you post clear pictures of the front of the watch and the movement, case back removed, i am sure someone here can help identify it.
    Biggest mistake i ever made was i took a old watch to one of those jewellers you find in a shopping mall, never again.
    One clock at a time. Kevin West
    http://www.global-horology.com/GHMB/

Default Re: 17 jewels watch. help! (RE: Kevin W.)

I have some wonderful pictures but they are in my phone and that is how I'm accessing the site as well. Ill try to figure out how to load then from my phone! Thank you for the help!

Registered user.

Hi Samantha!
    If you have a Photobucket account or something similar, you could move the pictures there and then link to them in your post.
    Samantha

Default Re: 17 jewels watch. help! (RE: Samantha)

http://m1131.photobucket.com/albums/samanthaw22/

Yay! Thank you all for your help. Here is the link to the photos...hope it works! any help would be appreciated so much!

Sam

Registered user.

Hi Sam,
    From the pictures the movement doesn't seem to be badly rusted or anything. Is it wound up and just won't run? A jeweler, or someone that dabbles in jewelry should be able to find similar replacement stones, especially at a supplier such as Rio Grande: http://www.riogrande.com/
    If you're a craft person, you might be able to replace them (Rio Grande will sell to you), just need to know the sizes by measuring them, preferably in millimeters. A lot of stones like that were glued in.
    Samantha

Default Re: 17 jewels watch. help! (RE: Samantha)

Yes its just a manual wind-up! I'm not sure whats wrong with it, but ill certainly take it to someone better than last tine. Id love for it to work. Thank you for all the help! I would love to find a picture to know what colors were originally set in it. I have searched and searched and can't find anything in particular about this watch.

Blog Entries

Hi Sam, a family heirloom is a nice thing to have.The minimum this watch may need is a clean and oil to work.A person should be able to replace missing stones.I would love to have a watch that was passed down in my family.I hope you restore this watch to its former glory.
    The sentimental value is something we cant place a value on, i know i cant.
    One clock at a time. Kevin West
    http://www.global-horology.com/GHMB/

Default Re: 17 jewels watch. help! (RE: Kevin W.)

With some luck all it will need is cleaning and the stones replaced, but one should get an estimate first. It's quite possible it was worn long past when it needed to be cleaned, with resultant wear in places that require extensive work to fix.

I recently cleaned and oiled a watch for a friend just to get it running again before his grandmother's passing -- a fairly nice pocket watch conversion to wrist watch, probably late teens or early 20's, E.Blancpain et Fils labeled LeCoultre, but it wasn't in any condition to actually use just with that. The train was OK, although I could not, in the time frame, get it running to time very well, and the keyless works were so worn that it really needed bushing for the stem and some other things.

Given the time frame and my skills, I would not have attempted most of that work, it's beyond me at this point, but the "customer" was more than satisfied that the watch ran when wound. It's going to go back into Grandma's jewelry box unworn, where it was, and everyone was pleased.

Peter