Month's Goal: $300, Received: $235.00 - (78%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 1085 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.

Thread: Hamilton 992

Default Hamilton 992

Ok so what's the difference in Hamilton 992's I know there is a 992 992B 992E not sure if im missing any but whats the Difference

Default Re: Hamilton 992 (RE: Timothy Davis)

The 992 was Hamilton's first main 16 size, 21j railroad pocket watch. It was made from 1903 to 1921, in quite a few different variants. The very earliest ones were single roller with a fairly elaborate damaskeen pattern, composition jewel settings, and a brass center wheel. Later versions switched to double roller, a gold center wheel, gold jewel settings, and a simpler narrow stripe damaskeen pattern. There were also some "special" patterns, including two-tones and others.

One will sometimes also see "992P" and "992L". The P and L refer to pendant and lever setting, respectively-lever setting is by far and away the most common.

The 992E was a 992 fitted with a blue Elinvar(elastically invariable) hairspring and solid monometallic balance. The earliest of these had the same narrow-stripe damaskeen as the later 992, but most commonly seen is a wide-stripe damaskeen pattern. The pallet bridge has the word "Elinvar" stamped into it.

The 992B was a complete redesign with few if any parts interchangeable with earlier models. The key feature is the white Elinvar extra hairspring, although the plate layout and most of the other key visual features are different. The damaskeen is a narrow stripe, although all the plate lettering is filled in with black rather than gold as on earlier watches. The serial number generally starts with "C", although "4C" and "S" are also sometimes seen. As far as I know, all 992Bs will say "992B" on the movement. They are also often(although not always) fitted with dials that say "Hamilton Raliway Special."

There's a lot to learn about all three of these watches, and this answer is only intended to be an overview to help you spot and differentiate them. There's a lot of great information about all three contained in old threads. If you look at the "Hamilton threads" sticky at the top of the page, you can find some of these easily.
    Chapter 149

Default Re: Hamilton 992 (RE: ben_hutcherson)

One correction and a couple of comments: The 992 was actually made from 1903 to 1931.

In the "Halligan Files", the 992 is listed as having three models, i.e. first model (lever set) as Ben mentioned was introduced in 1903. The pendant set 992 wasn't introduced until 1912.

The second model was introduced to the trade, Feb. 1, 1915. The gold center wheel, gold meantime screws, and new damaskeening pattern was added to this model.

The 992 was first announced as being available "factory cased" on Oct. 29, 1924 in the "First Model" case.

The third model (Elinvar) was introduced in Aug. 13, 1931.

The new model 992B was introduced in Nov. 1940.

Robert

Default Re: Hamilton 992 (RE: Robert Sweet)

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Sweet View Post
    One correction and a couple of comments: The 992 was actually made from 1903 to 1931.
    Sorry, that's what I get for not proofreading. I looked up the dates in the NAWCC database(since I couldn't remember exactly), and for whatever reason transcribed 1931 as 1921.

I appreciate the correction.
    Chapter 149

Ok from a collector prospective which is more sought after I know some more valueable then others I know we cant talk price but what makes some more valueable then other Ex. A 992 21j gold center wheel,GJS,
    5P,SR & DR,NI,OF is less valueable then and 992B 21j,LS, Adj 6P OF seems the other way around just wondering how all that was determined
    Last edited by Timothy Davis; 12-03-2011 at 01:05 PM.

Just between us, I predict that the first model SR Ben mentions is a sleeper and will eclipse the popular E model.
    Chapter 149, protecting our passion one watch at a time!

Default Re: Hamilton 992 (RE: Bratdaddy@mac.com)

Quote Originally Posted by Bratdaddy@mac.com View Post
    Just between us, I predict that the first model SR Ben mentions is a sleeper and will eclipse the popular E model.
    Something like this?

(the only 992 I currently own)
    Chapter 149

Beautiful Ben I like it. I just bought one off ebay that I think I got a killer deal on Its my first high grade watch to add to my collection but beautiful I like it

Tim
    here is a picture of one of my 992B's ... 1952 ... the 992 you have was the forerunner of the B model
    and great watches for sure.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC00709.jpg  

Default Re: Hamilton 992 (RE: Dano4734)

Quote Originally Posted by Dan O'Connell View Post
    Tim
    here is a picture of one of my 992B's ... 1952 ... the 992 you have was the forerunner of the B model
    and great watches for sure.
    Looks like its in great shape beautiful

Tim
    the 992B's tend to cost more when you purchase them ... they were the last of the great Hamilton watches and deadly accurate timekeepers .. If you can nail a 992B reasonable go for it .. they are very sought after

Quote Originally Posted by ben_hutcherson View Post
    Something like this?

(the only 992 I currently own)
    Yeah Ben, that's what I'm talking about. I've got a nice trade when you're ready.
    Chapter 149, protecting our passion one watch at a time!