Month's Goal: $300, Received: $305.00 - (102%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 1029 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.

Default Pendulum clock building project

Yes Im getting ready to start building my first clock and was needing to know if there was any info that anybody good give me on how long the pendulum needs to be in order to look good and not ill fitted for the case the case will be 18inches wide by 6 inches deep and 55 inches long thanks

Default Re: Pendulum clock building project (RE: Timothy Davis)

The experts will probably be able to tell you more precicely but I would say that it depends on what movement you intend using as the length of the pendulum and weight of the bob will have to be a match for it to run correctly and to time. The pendulum length is usually stamped on the rear plate of the movement in the right hand bottom corner, or in that region, and the numbers will refer to lenght in millimeters. I am assuming that you have the clock parts and what you're saying is that what you actually want to do is to build a case to house it. If you want it to show the 'workings' then you will need to build it to be proportionate but if you only want to see the dial and the time then you can build it to your own taste and whatever size you like.

Default Re: Pendulum clock building project (RE: Oldfathertime)

Well my plan was to build the case and buy a mechanical movement and pendulum all together was just wondering what a good pendulum length would be for a clock case that is 55 inches long and go from there

If I were undertaking a build such as this I would do it the other way around, aquire the movement and associated parts first and then build the case. 55 inches would roughly be the size of a Granddauter or Grandmother type clock or, depending on the size and proportions of the movement plus length of pendulum you could if you so wished build the case in the style of a three-quarter size Grandfather/longcase. You've got me thinking now!

Oldfathertime here is a picture of roughly what i want to build the 1st clock has the same hieght width and depth as the one i want to build I know it has a 12 inch dial maybe you could help with a movement or where i could purchase one thanks the 2nd picture is another i would like to try my hand at along with the 3rd
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 3119_A.jpg   3932_A.jpg   3154_A.jpg  

Tim, may I call you Tim? If you are a competent cabinet maker or joiner, which judging by your ambitions you probably are then the choice of case style is up to you, personally I would not myself have the confidence to build something that elaborate having neither the skill or tools to do so, if I were to build a case it would turn out to look more like a coffin than anything else. Not knowing whereabouts in the World you are, eBay is a good place to look for complete movements for this type of clock and there are usually several empty cases listed as well on the UK pages, other than that, as yet, I am still learning as to where to source and discover these things.

T.D., your three examples are excellent for my reply. Pendulum length is very much subjective - what you prefer to see. I prefer to see a pendulum in a long clock wag close to bottom as possible - like your first and third examples. I very much dislike seeing the pendulum wag high from the bottom as in your second picture. Your clock - your pleasure.
    Another item you didn't mention is the diameter of the bob. Preference again. In a tall clock I prefer a bob that is large as possible as it seems to me to add balance to the large dial. For a twelve inch dial I'd use a bob at least 8" diameter.
    Last edited by Scottie-TX; 11-21-2011 at 07:56 AM.

Forums Administrator harold bain's Avatar

Default Re: Pendulum clock building project (RE: Scottie-TX)

Tim, have a look at Murray Clock Craft's website. They sell kits, plans, and movements.
    www.murrayclock.com
    harold bain, Member ch 33
    "If it won't "tick",
    let me "tock" to it"

Default Re: Pendulum clock building project (RE: harold bain)

Thanks for that Info Scottie and harold for the site thanks to everyine for there info I will post pictures of the clock as Im building it

Hello Timothy,

The dimensions you mention sounded quite similar to what I built awhile ago so I looked it up & sure enough we are in the same ball park.

The inside dimensions of my case are: 59.375 X 6.375 X 18 inches.

The dial is 15 inch diameter & the center of the pendulum is 17.093 from the bottom of the case.

I am providing a photo just to show the proportions/results w/these dimensions. Tweak everything to suit your taste.

My taste is along the same lines as Scottie-TX that your #2 photo isn't as attractive. At least in the clocks of this type that I have seen, it appears to me that the cabinet makers tried to scale the case to the rather large regulator dial and didn't take into account the visual affect of the pendulum.

Just my 2 cents.

P.S. Thanks in advance for posting photos as you progress. I'm looking forward to seeing them.
    Last edited by jhe.1973; 11-22-2011 at 12:31 AM. Reason: Added P.S.
    "To invent you need a good imagination and a pile of junk." - Thomas Edison
    Best wishes to Ya'll. Sincerely, Jim