Month's Goal: $300, Received: $390.00 - (130%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Registered user.

Default Need help to identify wrist watch

Hello, I'm new to nawcc and I was hoping to find some information about a watch that was given to my father by an old army buddy of his a long time ago.
    The watch name is Arbona, 18k gold with a 900 marking on the back. I believe that the strap is not original. I hope the pictures help, Thank you.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0135.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	196.0 KB 
ID:	107572
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMAG0136.jpg  

Default Re: Need help to identify wrist watch (RE: swirleen)

That looks like a nice piece, and in very good condition! Don't recognize the name, but from the style it looks like your fairly basic late 60's two-subdial chronograph. From the minute counter subdial on the right, that arrow hand was used a lot by Landeron. If you'd have a jeweler take the back off we could give you better information with a photo of the movement.
    It also has a tachymeter (outside) and telemetry scale (inside) at the circumference of the dial. This is more often than not a decoration, because not many folks use the tachy to measure their speed over a given distance or use the tele to determine how far away that bomb that just exploded was.

Still, it looks like a solid piece, well worth keeping and enjoying!
    ~D

Registered user.

Default Re: Need help to identify wrist watch (RE: DragonDan)

Thanks for the quick reply, A jeweler did take the back off and it is a Landeron movement. I can't find any info on the name Arbona anywhere, the watch is in great shape. I'll keep searching.....

The trade mark "Arbona" is from the Charles Gigandet SA in Tramelan.

Andreas
    Visit me at my website: www.mikrolisk.de
    ++ The horological trade mark index ++

Registered user.

Hello, i just came across the same watch but in 18kt, i notice it has a case back cover and then another cover to get to movement, is it a pop off? or is it a screw? there are no notches in the back cover and first cover snapped off, but i dont want to force movement cover, can you help? thank you

I personally can't help you with the information you're seeking, but I had to chime in on what a fine watch you have there!! Your Dad's friend was truly generous. Enjoy it.

Knowing that this is a Landeron movement may be very important in order for you to get the more specific information you are hoping to find. However, the jeweler came up one big step short in providing this information.

As you didn't mention it, I assume that they didn't get the calibre number off of the movement while they had the case opened. Luckily there shouldn't be a problem opening the case again to retrieve this information. To notice that it was Landeron and fail to notice the calibre is kind of a big "oops!". Then again, you are speaking of a jeweler rather than a watchmaker. It is second nature for a watchmaker to look for calibre number right off, but maybe not for the jeweler.

See if you can get back in there and take a look. You'll probably have a much easier time once you get that information.

Cheers!
    Jason