Month's Goal: $300, Received: $235.00 - (78%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 1110 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.
    Forums Administrator harold bain's Avatar

Default Howard Miller Grandfather clock

I had an interesting call on a 1990 vintage Howard Miller clock, cable drive Keininger movement. The customer complained about a ticking noise when the strike went off. First look found the glass side panel had separated, and the glass was leaning on the hammer block. So, I'm thinking, easy fix. WRONG. The tick tick tick didn't go away with the glass removed. So, with the dial off, watched for a problem with the fly, or with the stop pin. Couldn't see anything. Got my head in there and traced the sound down below the movement. It was coming from the weight pulley. A bit of oil solved the problem.
    So when oiling cable drive clocks, don't forget to oil the pulleys.
    harold bain, Member ch 33
    "If it won't "tick",
    let me "tock" to it"

Registered user.

Default Re: Howard Miller Grandfather clock (RE: harold bain)

Quote Originally Posted by harold bain View Post
    I had an interesting call on a 1990 vintage Howard Miller clock, cable drive Keininger movement. The customer complained about a ticking noise when the strike went off. First look found the glass side panel had separated, and the glass was leaning on the hammer block. So, I'm thinking, easy fix. WRONG. The tick tick tick didn't go away with the glass removed. So, with the dial off, watched for a problem with the fly, or with the stop pin. Couldn't see anything. Got my head in there and traced the sound down below the movement. It was coming from the weight pulley. A bit of oil solved the problem.
    Good tip, Harold! Reminds me of a barely-audible squeak that appears to come from the pendulum action in a cuckoo clock. Turns out to be coming from one of the bellows! The slightest pull on a chain and it goes away. I still haven't figured this one out. - Randy

It think the point can also be made that a worn or unlubricated pulley is an important source of friction and loss of power.

Default Re: Howard Miller Grandfather clock (RE: MARK A. BUTTERWORTH)

In the FWIW column when I service or do any work on cable drive movements-especially modern ones. I am #1 very critical of any play in the pulleys.If there is I will replace them and oil the shaft. Also,unless I know the clock or the customer can show me a service history(seldom) I will replace the cables.Or if I slide them through my fingers(very carefully) and find a broken strand. Admitidly it is an extra $ but in my book it is part of the overall service.
    tom

Default Re: Howard Miller Grandfather clock (RE: tom427cid)

I had a call few months back. The man said he just had his Ridgeway serviced but the chimes were still slow. I get there and can't see anything unusual,pull the dial and everything looks good,cleaned and properly oiled.
    I removed the weights to see if I can rotate the train by hand and when the pulleys flipped over there was a groove wore into the chime side pulley,it was froze solid. The funny thing is that the previous tech had replaced the cables and not noticed this. The new cable was already starting to fray. Pulleys are part of the movement and should be serviced each time also. I like using the stainless cable,very strong and looks good against the brass pulleys.

Quote Originally Posted by harold bain View Post
    Had a similar problem with a Howard Miller curio grandfather clock. Fortunately, all I had to do was oil the pulley. Cable was still in good shape.

Default Re: Howard Miller Grandfather clock (RE: Jay Fortner)

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Fortner View Post
    The funny thing is that the previous tech had replaced the cables and not noticed this. The new cable was already starting to fray.
    How bout this one: all three pulleys flipped upside down with the cable left to slide through the bail and the weights hanging on the now stationary pulley rims.

Funny thing is that it had been used that way for quite a while. Complaint was that it would stop every day or so and have to be restarted. Cables were curled up like a bow on a Christmas present, had to replace all three.

Willie X

Default Re: Howard Miller Grandfather clock (RE: Willie X)

Quote Originally Posted by Willie X View Post
    How bout this one: all three pulleys flipped upside down with the cable left to slide through the bail and the weights hanging on the now stationary pulley rims.

Funny thing is that it had been used that way for quite a while. Complaint was that it would stop every day or so and have to be restarted. Cables were curled up like a bow on a Christmas present, had to replace all three.

Willie X
    Out of all the weird things I've read on this MB that's got to be the best one yet.