Month's Goal: $300, Received: $0 - (0%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 1036 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Cuckoo chimes early and doesn't stop correctly

Our Cuckoo clock is malfunctioning after a household move.

Before the movers - the clock chimed only on the hour and alternated between two tunes. After the chime was done, the cuckoo came out and cooed the same number of times as the hour.

After the movers - all three chains were off. I replaced them myself. Probably shouldn't have - as I know nothing about clock movements.

Now the chime starts about three minutes early and runs both songs back to back until the cuckoo starts correctly on the hour. Then both the chime and cuckoo run simultaneously until the cuckoo is done. Then both stop. The cuckoo still coos on the half hour as it should.

So it seems to me the chime is starting early and doesn't stop - somehow the cuckoo finishing stops both the cuckoo and the chime.

Any suggestions on what I should/could do? Thanks!

Forums Administrator harold bain's Avatar

Default Re: Cuckoo chimes early and doesn't stop correctly (RE: MattC)

Hi, Matt, welcome to the message board. We'll need some pictures, particularly from the back with the door off.
    I've seen many musical cuckoos, but never one that played the tune before the cuckoo. But I just know I haven't seen everything yet. The hands are likely on a bushing, to adjust their position relative to the movement timing. Loosening the hand nut usually will allow adjustment of the hand placement.
    One other suggestion, if you were moved by professionals, they likely will pay to have a professional clock repairman service the clock. The further you go on your own, the more costly the repair is liable to be.
    harold bain, Member ch 33
    "If it won't "tick",
    let me "tock" to it"

Matt - this is a bit confusing. Here's what should have happened when everything was good: On the hour, the cuckoo emerges and coos the hours accompanied by a 'twang' before each cuckoo. After he retreats, the music should start and end after the song is finished. On the half hour, the bird emerges and sounds one call, retreats, and the music starts and plays the second song. So ..... I'm wondering if it ever worked correctly. Could you verify what it was and is doing again please? I see that Harold beat me to it, but has similar questions. One more: did the weights drop evenly before, or the music one at half speed?
    Last edited by shutterbug; 10-29-2011 at 08:02 PM.

Default Re: Cuckoo chimes early and doesn't stop correctly (RE: shutterbug)

Sorry for the confusion.

Shutterbug, you have accurately described how it used to work. And it worked very well - and was professionally cleaned within the last year.

Now, the chime (w/ rotating dancers and turning waterfall) all start about 3 mins until the hour. The cuckoo(bong/coo) still starts precisely on the hour. So, I'm hesitant to adjust the hands. Would that change cuckoo's timing?

I am not certain on the original speed of the drop. The music/chime one is dropping very fast now. I will try to post pictures tomorrow. Thanks!

Sounds like a minor adjustment needs to be made on the music warning stop lever. It needs to encounter the fly, and hold it until the cuckoo stops. When the door closes, the fly is freed and the music starts. Watch it from the back door while it sets up and you'll see what needs to be tweaked a bit

Matt,

The moving companies will pay people like us to repair your clock. Offhand I can't think of anything that would make the two tunes run back to back and then stop.

Willie X

Default Re: Cuckoo chimes early and doesn't stop correctly (RE: Willie X)

It depends on the type of music controller you have. Some pictures at this point would help clear things up.

Registered user.

Default Re: Cuckoo chimes early and doesn't stop correctly (RE: shutterbug)

Hi
    As Harold was going on information you first gave,
    that was the basis of his suggestion to adjust the
    hands.
    From what you'd said, I would say that the hands
    are not the issue.
    Again, pictures would be needed.
    If you scroll down in the edit window, you'll see the
    attachement controls.
    The picture size is limited and most cameras produce
    too large an image to load. You'll most likely need to
    either crop it or reduce the resolution. There are a number
    of utility programs that can do this.
    It would be nice if there was some way the MS's software
    could deal with this for us. I tend to over reduce the
    pictures and lose the quality.
    Tinker Dwight

Default Re: Cuckoo chimes early and doesn't stop correctly (RE: Tinker Dwight)

Matt, the music should be arrested when it goes into warning before the hour. Pictures are needed to give you exactly what adjustment is needed to correct this. Your hands are fine as they are. Your original description of the problem made it sound like a hand problem.
    Best solution is to take it back to the fellow who worked on it recently. He'll likely only charge you a minimal amount for his time.
    "If it won't "tick",
    let me "tock" to it"

Default Re: Pictures (RE: Tinker Dwight)

You folks are great! Thank you.

One caveat to descriptions already provided - am pretty sure we never had music on the half-hour. Only on the hour. And always right after the cuckoo was done.

Happy to provide more or better pictures.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Clock Front.JPG   Interior Tall.jpg   Interior Wide.JPG   Interior Close.jpg   Chime close-up.JPG  

Music close-up.jpg  
    Last edited by MattC; 10-30-2011 at 10:38 AM. Reason: Add picture

Great pictures, Matt, and nice clock. I can see two problems.
    1. The strike hammer on the left is misplaced, fallen off to the left. It should have a return spring on it that would keep this from happening, however, it likely was moved upside down by your movers for it to be 180 degrees from normal.
    2. The double lever black piece both trips the music, and stops it from sounding til the cuckoo is done. With the back door off, and someone holding the case, put the weights on and advance the hands, watching what is happening.
    If you have good mechanical intuition, the necessary adjustment might be obvious to you. But the key is this double lever. I think the half of the lever that should catch the music governor (fly) is out of adjustment, and needs to be closer to the fly. The other half of the twin levers is in need of adjusting in the opposite direction in order not to trip the music on the half hour.
    Good luck with it.
    "If it won't "tick",
    let me "tock" to it"

Default Fixed!! (RE: harold bain)

Top four lessons learned:

4) Chime and music are not synonymous
    3) Don't move the chime spring striker assembly out of the way to take a photo -it's very misleading
    2) A kitchen block slid within 12 inches of the kitchen counter makes a first rate clock stand.....and...
    1) You folks are THE BEST.

Many, many thanks,
    Matt

Matt, I had a feeling you might be able to troubleshoot this. Glad you figured it out
    "If it won't "tick",
    let me "tock" to it"

Default Re: Cuckoo chimes early and doesn't stop correctly (RE: harold bain)

Well, thanks for the telepathic confidence. Very gratifying. Especially after the 7 months and beaucoup $$ it took to have the movement cleaned last year.

That's a little more clear See the lever above the fly? During warn, that should come down just far enough to touch the fly and arrest it so it can't move. At the same time, the stop lever is pulled out of the hole on the end of the drum, and the train is set to run. After the bird finishes his number, the lever raises and allows the fan to spin. The train runs until the next hole in the drum encounters the stop lever, and it enters the hole, forcing another lever to engage the fan and stop everything. It is very possible that you only get music once an hour. You'll know if it's right .... the weights will fall evenly.