Month's Goal: $300, Received: $240.00 - (80%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 1097 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.

Post Abra Watch Swiss made

I have a heirloom Abra watch and was wondering if anyone knows anything about them. I know the serial # on the watch is 1279291
    It has American Standard 25 Years.
    It is swiss made with semi presious jewel movement (jewels) inside but I do not know anything else about the watch. It was my grandmother's watch, she died before I was born & I am hitting 60. Any information about this watch would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Default Re: Abra Watch Swiss made (RE: 2HoneyBee)

The next reply will be that we need a picture, so instead of waiting for the next reply I'll go ahead and ask you to post a picture. Pictures are worth much when helping to identify watches.

Looking at eBay for Abra watches I see several examples; some rather expensive, but those are heavy gold/platinum. Although no one here will estimate value—it's against the rules—maybe someone can help you identify the watch and then you can easily do your own research.
    Thanks - Al M. - Plano, TX
    "Confusion never stops Closing walls and ticking clocks" ~ Coldplay 'Clocks'

Default Re: Abra Watch Swiss made (RE: everydaycats)

Thanks for the info, I'll try to figure out how to put a picture here. By the way, even though we moved to Washington state 5 years ago, we are originally from Ft. Worth. I took a couple of pictures of the watch, but trying to figure out how to put them here after downloading from my camera to this computer may be a little more complicated for me. I did open the casing for the watch and noted it said 16 jewels, 2 adjustments inside. The casing said 19 ct gold filled...so it must not be worth much, other than 'sentimental' value, however, the watch does work.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails grandma's watch 008.jpg  

Default Re: Abra Watch Swiss made (RE: 2HoneyBee)

Your watch appears to have been made around 1920.
    A 16 jewel watch movement was good quality during that era.
    While it may not be worth a lot to a collector, I know that I wish that I had anything that had been my grandmother's.
    A competent watchmaker could clean and oil the movement so that you could wear it and enjoy it.
    Be aware though, that this watch, like most watches made before the 1950s is not water resistant and does not have "shock protection" to protects the watch from damage due to dropping it or accidentally banging it against something while you wear it--so you have to wear it when you're not planning to do dishes, gardening, etc.
    Enjoy it!

Kate

Default Re: Abra Watch Swiss made (RE: Kate N)

I think I will have a friend that makes jewelry put it on a chain/with some beads so it can be worn as a locket.