Month's Goal: $300, Received: $315.00 - (105%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 1073 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.

Default What Model Seth Thomas Pocket Watch?

Hello,

I have a Seth Thomas pocket watch, serial number 161510, which appears to be from about 1890. However, I know nothing else about this watch. Does anyone know the kind of watch this is, or model name? I'm very new to this, and want to know all I can about my Great Grandmother's watch.

Much appreciated,
    Dan
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC08560.jpg   DSC08562.jpg   DSC08563.jpg   DSC08570.jpg   DSC08572.jpg  

DSC08576.jpg  

Smile Re: What Model Seth Thomas Pocket Watch? (RE: DanMac)

Dan:

Checking the references listed in the Seth Thomas Clock Co. Encyclopedia article to compare the various models and grades to your pictures, your Seth Thomas seems to be a ladies' 6-size, Eagle Series, grade No. 105. This is described in a reproduction of a 1904 catalog as a hunting movement "11 jewels, Nickel, with fancy gilt and nickel damadkeening." A catalog cut of the 6 size Hunting Model, Eagle Series matches your picture of the movement.

The Crown trade mark on the case appears to be that of H. Muhr's Sons, but it may date to the time when the Crown line of cases was bought by T. Zurbrugg & Co. who marketed them for a short while before the line was shifted to Zurbrugg's Philadelphia Watch Case Co.

I'm not sure why your gold-filled case carries both the crown and lion trade marks, but the 20 year guarantee seems to make it a Lion grade case.

A crown trade mark was also used by Michael H. Cronin, but it has a different appearence.
    Last edited by Kent; 10-14-2011 at 04:58 AM.
    Kent
    That guy down in Georgia

Default Re: What Model Seth Thomas Pocket Watch? (RE: Kent)

Kent,

Thank you very much for your thorough answer. Very informative.

By the way, I'm sure you noticed that the dial says "Banner" on it, instead of Seth Thomas. Do you know what "Banner" refers to? I can't find anything about Banner on the web, so would appreciate any info. you may have about this. Remember, this watch was from about 1890.

Have you ever seen "Banner" on Seth Thomas watches before?

Thanks again,
    Dan

Smile Re: What Model Seth Thomas Pocket Watch? (RE: DanMac)

According to page 231 of the book American Pocket Watches Beginning to End...1830-1980, Identification and Price Guide, Roy Ehrhardt & William Meggers, Jr., Heart of America Press, Kansas City, MO, 1987 (commonly referred to as “The Gold Book”), and according to Hamilton records (available online to NAWCC Members who are logged in - use serial numbers 107522 & 266401), "The Banner" (and "The Banner Special") was a private label watch name used on Hamilton Watch Co. watches made for the Stein & Ellbogen Co., Chicago in the period of around 1900 - 1903.

The Stein & Ellbogen Co. may, or may not, have odered watches like yours, having the "Banner" name on the dial, from the Seth Thomas Clock Co. at the same, or a different, time.
    Kent
    That guy down in Georgia

Default Re: What Model Seth Thomas Pocket Watch? (RE: Kent)

Many thanks, Kent! I'm sure this is helpful information for many others as well.

Dan