Month's Goal: $300, Received: $240.00 - (80%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 1104 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.

Default Need help identifying an old swiss pocket watch

Hello,

I was hoping someone would be able to help identify my pocket watch, as there are no marks as to the manufacturer.

The movement is marked 1130623 (unsure as to whether or not that is a serial number), movement is also marked "swiss made," and there are some hand engravings on the balance - there are some initials there as well (A.R. and something that appears to look like P 3).

I'll attach some photos for reference.

Thanks!
    -> posts merged by system <-
    Note: I don't know if the watch came this way, but at some point it was placed in a little cloth case marked RIETA -"TRIETA" (im not sure about the spelling of that second word as the writing is very faded).

Actually....at the bottom of the cloth case it says Boston so I doubt it has anything to do with the watch itself (being that it was swiss made)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails front.JPG   back.JPG   close dial.JPG   case 1.JPG   case 2.JPG  

movement 1.JPG   movement 2.JPG  

Registered user.

Default Re: Need help identifying an old swiss pocket watch (RE: staratsx)

Unfortunately i can't identify the watch but it could still have something to do with Boston as swiss movements were shipped all over the world to various watchmakers.

Good luck

Default Re: Need help identifying an old swiss pocket watch (RE: daddypea)

Welcome to the board, Staratsx

I assume you know that your watch is a chronograph? It seems to be operated by the button in the centre of the winding stem. Proper operation of the chronograph feature is very important to the value of the watch - I would assume that you press the button once to start the sweep seconds hand, again to stop it, and a third time to reset.

I can't identify the maker either, I'm afraid. Roland Ranfft's website might help you, but I don't know any better way of searching than by working your way down the list and doing a visual check (the page I have referenced is for chronographs).

The A/R on the movements stands for Avance/Retard (forward/back) which just shows where to move the regulator needle to speed up/slow down the movement. The other letters are probably F/S for fast/slow, which would indicate that the watch was also made for the export market (to the UK and USA).

Registered user.

Default Re: Need help identifying an old swiss pocket watch (RE: MartyR)

Hi there,

the movement is a Minerva 9:
    http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-db.cgi?00&ranfft&be&2uswk&Minerva_9

Regards, Roland Ranfft
    Identify your movement here

Default Re: Need help identifying an old swiss pocket watch (RE: Roland Ranfft)

Thank you very much!!