Month's Goal: $300, Received: $0 - (0%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 1102 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered user.

Default How do i adjust my hac 3/4 westminster chime wall clock

I have a clock similar to that shown in the post http://mb.nawcc.org/showthread.php?t...ac+westminster.

When it shows 2pm it strikes 12 times

When it shows 3pm it strikes once

When it shows 4pm it strikes twice.

It seems to strike 2 minutes before the hour, quarter, half or three quarter.

Please would somebody tell me how I adjust it so it chimes correctly and how do I adjust the time if it gains or loses ?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails HAC 3:4 WESTMINSTER CHIME WALL CLOCK.jpg  

Forums Administrator harold bain's Avatar

Default Re: How do i adjust my hac 3/4 westminster chime wall clock (RE: REDBANKUK)

Hi Redbankuk, welcome to the message board. To set the strike to the correct number, turn the hour hand back two hours.
    Your minute hand is on an adjustable bushing. Take the hand off the clock, then find a file tang that fits in the hole, then gently turn the hand clockwise, gripping it close to the center, while holding the file. This is a trial and error adjustment.
    If your clock gains time, the pendulum is too short. You can lengthen the effective length of the pendulum by turning the nut on the bottom of the pendulum bob, to loosen it. Do the opposite if the clock loses time (shorten the pendulum).
    harold bain, Member ch 33
    "If it won't "tick",
    let me "tock" to it"

Default Re: How do i adjust my hac 3/4 westminster chime wall clock (RE: REDBANKUK)

Hello Redbankuk, welcome to the NAWCC MB.

You have found the right place to go!

There are two minor problems concerning your clock.

First, the strike is not synchronized with the time.
    There may be a lever on the backside of the movement, that
    sets the strike one step forward, every time you pull it.
    The easier method would be to just move the hour hand two
    hours back - it's a friction fit.

Second, the minute hand is not in the right position.
    Normally, these hands have an adjustable tight friction fit collet,
    that can be turned with a tool, when the hand has been removed.
    Some HAC clocks do not have this feature, the hand just has a regantular
    hole, so there is no adjusting possible here.
    In this case, you will have to remove the dial too, and adjust the
    canon pinion, that trips the strike.
    This may be tricky for beginners to do, so if in doubt, take the clock to
    a repairer.

Jurgen
    Jurgen "tempus nostrum"

Registered user.

Default Re: How do i adjust my hac 3/4 westminster chime wall clock (RE: soaringjoy)

Thank you Harold Bain and Soaringjoy for your prompt replies.

I will have a go whilst treading carefully !

I must say this is a really nice site and the pictures are great to see and judging by the number of posts about H.A.C. clocks on the forum they seem quite popular.

I feel a silly billy for forgetting to ask something else ....

My wife does not want to hear the chimes after we go to bed as she is such a light sleeper ... a change of wife is not an option so instead I found a lever behind the clock face, towards the top. I pushed this andit stopped the hammers striking however in the morning the clock had stopped.

Any thoughts ?

Seemingly, you got hands on the "repeat on demand" lever.
    This function may jam the strike and therefore stop the
    clock, if not used properly.
    But to be sure, we would need pictures of the movement.
    I suppose, there is no silencer lever on your clock.
    Jurgen
    Jurgen "tempus nostrum"

Registered user.

Default Re: How do i adjust my hac 3/4 westminster chime wall clock (RE: soaringjoy)

I have taken photographs through the left hand and right hand side windows.

The lever I have been moving can be seen at the top of the RHS photograph - I wonder whether this is the silencer lever you mention ?

When I move it, the hammers are all moved together and this stops them striking.

I will try to take better photographs tomorrow to help identify the lever I am talking about.

There is a knurled nut visible in the LHS photograph - I have not moved this at all as I don't know what it is for !

There is also a movable frame which sits around the lower sections of the slim metal tubes; when moved this traps them - I suspect this is used to lock them when transporting the clock.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails lhs.jpg   rhs.jpg  

Forums Administrator harold bain's Avatar

The knurled nut is attached to the bracket that is screwed to the back of the clock to stabilize the movement. One on each side. It would only be removed when taking the movement out of the case. Can't see the silence lever in your picture, but if it just holds the chime hammers away from the rods, then it is for silencing the chimes. Should be one on each side so the strike can also be silenced. This shouldn't stop the clock, though.
    harold bain, Member ch 33
    "If it won't "tick",
    let me "tock" to it"

Default Re: How do i adjust my hac 3/4 westminster chime wall clock (RE: harold bain)

A nice clock you have. These HAC clocks are great quality. The 3/4 Westminster is an interesting thing, isn't it?
    Justin A. Olson

Registered user.

Default Re: How do i adjust my hac 3/4 westminster chime wall clock (RE: chimeclockfan)

Chimeclockfan, yes they are really handsome.

Although I don't know anything (yet) about clock mechanisms I really like the look of my clock.

It has rich wood which I have polished, an attractive golden face and three clear glass panels through which one can see the pendulum.

It has a satisfying but not overloud tick and the chimes are mellifluous !

It is a pleasure to own such a well crafted piece.

Back to it's function, when I woke this morning it had stopped, so even though I moved that lever very carefully last night it did more than stop the chimes.

During the day I will take some more photographs which may give some more clues to those who know.

Agreed, the sliding lever on the top is a strike silencer and its use
    shouldn't affect the time train at all.
    Although those HAC 3/4 Westminsters are nice movements, they
    can be really "stubborn", if not maintained on a regular basis.
    I believe, the movement could use a good service.

Jurgen
    Jurgen "tempus nostrum"

Registered user.

Mr Bank, or may I call you Red?

The lever is present mainly for transporting the clock so the hammers don't bong and bang in the back of your car.

It should have no effect at all on the clock working, unless it happens to be fouling the pendulum or crutch.

As others say, looking at your pictures, it needs a clean and oil (not as a first clock project!) and that might be its reason for stopping; it might be what I call "only just going".

These German wall clocks are very undervalued IMHO and very nice clocks; HAC (Hamburg American Clock Co) are well known and good clocks.
    Mike - banned member of the throwaway society.

Registered user.

Default Re: How do i adjust my hac 3/4 westminster chime wall clock (RE: Mike Phelan)

Thanks everyone for their replies.

I will get my clock serviced ..... any suggestions as to where will be gratefully received .... I live near Cambridge in the UK.

In the meantime my clock has kept (almost) perfect time the whole day today and most days come to that.

I have written off to Junghans to see if they can help date it and for any other useful info.

In due course I thought I would video my clock and it's chimes and post the video somewhere on the forum.

Redbank,

I doubt, if Junghans can help you with details concerning the clock.
    The HAC archives were completely destroyed by a flood in 1959.

But, if you want a dateline, just ask here on the board - err, you
    didn't, did you?

Enough nonsense for now.

Although there are not many HAC catalogues around anymore, you're
    lucky.
    Victor Tang's 1928 HAC catalogue lists your clock as the model "750".
    It was available with both the 3/4 and the 4/4 Westminster chimes
    movement.
    The movement shown is from a 1924 HAC catalogue, which does not
    list your clock model.
    The pendulum bob is a No. 55 type.

The dial on your clock may be a replacement, one would have to examine
    that closely.

Jurgen
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG.jpg   IMG_0001.jpg  
    Jurgen "tempus nostrum"

I've seen one bit of reference calling it the "Litchfield" chime, linking the sound to the Litchfield Cathedral.
    Whether this was a ploy to make it UK friendly or not I don't know, but here is the picture. I presume it is valid. Link
    Justin A. Olson

Registered user.

Default Re: How do i adjust my hac 3/4 westminster chime wall clock (RE: chimeclockfan)

Hi RB
    Quote Originally Posted by REDBANKUK View Post
    Thanks everyone for their replies.
    I will get my clock serviced ..... any suggestions as to where will be gratefully received .... I live near Cambridge in the UK?
    Somebody might come to the rescue, but there are not too many clock repairers left in the UK. Try to avoid jewellers shops purporting to repair clocks as they often "farm out" these jobs at a profit and the supposed 'repairers' just dunk the movement in an ultrasonic bath.
    I've known about some such horror stories, at least one local worthy with BHI credentials ... Have a look at one of the yahoo UK-based clock forums?
    Quote Originally Posted by chimeclockfan View Post
    I've seen one bit of reference calling it the "Lichfield" chime, linking the sound to the Lichfield Cathedral.
    Whether this was a ploy to make it UK friendly or not I don't know, but here is the picture. I presume it is valid. Link
    That's interesting as there could be nothing more UKish than Westminster, whereas Lichfield is quite a small midlands city. Probably to make it seem unique?
    Mike - banned member of the throwaway society.