Month's Goal: $300, Received: $235.00 - (78%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 1159 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.

Default looking for someone who can convert a pocket watch to wrist watch

i am currently looking for anyone on the message board that can convert a pocket watch into a wrist watch. i have been looking for a nice wrist watch but haven't found any that i like, so i can to the conclusion that it would be best if i had one made. i currently do not have the pocket watch i would like to convert, but most likely a size 10 or 12. - Cal Chan

also wasn't sure if this is the right section to post this.

Default Re: looking for someone who can convert a pocket watch to wrist watch (RE: calchan)

Let me make a suggestion, instead of using a vintage or antique pocket watch without shock protection for the balance staff use a modern pocket watch movement such as the ETA Unitas 6427 or 6428 in a wristwatch case made for such movements. If you go to the web site of a watch parts supply house such as Otto Frei you will see all the parts that you need including a variety of dials and hands that you can choose from.

In going this route you will have designed your own watch that is sturdy and also saved a vintage/antique in its original form for posterity. All you will need is someone to put it together, very easy for someone with the proper tools and a modicum of training.
    NAWCC LARC
    Volunteer

Default Re: looking for someone who can convert a pocket watch to wrist watch (RE: RON in PA)

For Practical purposes Ron is correct. This is the normal way to go.

But there is a HUGE movment afoot right now to make 10 and 12 Size Hamiltons, Illinois and Ball watches into 45 mm so smaller wrist watches.

Something real cool about having a high grade highly damaskeened open back American made Ball, Hamilton or Illinois on your wrist.

Jeff

Registered user.

Default Re: looking for someone who can convert a pocket watch to wrist watch (RE: Jeff Hess)

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hess View Post
    For Practical purposes Ron is correct. This is the normal way to go.

But there is a HUGE movment afoot right now to make 10 and 12 Size Hamiltons, Illinois and Ball watches into 45 mm so smaller wrist watches.

Something real cool about having a high grade highly damaskeened open back American made Ball, Hamilton or Illinois on your wrist.

Jeff
    Jeff, I think it's called 'Bling.' I saw a music video recently where the guy had on a watch just as you described. I had never heard of it being a trend, but I sure hope not.
    Thank You. AL M. (EverydayCat) - Plano,TX
    "A man, like a watch, is to be valued for his manner of going." - William Penn

Default Re: looking for someone who can convert a pocket watch to wrist watch (RE: RON in PA)

Quote Originally Posted by RON in PA View Post
    Let me make a suggestion, instead of using a vintage or antique pocket watch without shock protection for the balance staff use a modern pocket watch movement such as the ETA Unitas 6427 or 6428 in a wristwatch case made for such movements. If you go to the web site of a watch parts supply house such as Otto Frei you will see all the parts that you need including a variety of dials and hands that you can choose from.

In going this route you will have designed your own watch that is sturdy and also saved a vintage/antique in its original form for posterity. All you will need is someone to put it together, very easy for someone with the proper tools and a modicum of training.
    Ron, I think you meant the ETA 6497 or 6498.

Default Re: looking for someone who can convert a pocket watch to wrist watch (RE: EverydayCat)

Quote Originally Posted by EverydayCat View Post
    Jeff, I think it's called 'Bling.' I saw a music video recently where the guy had on a watch just as you described. I had never heard of it being a trend, but I sure hope not.
    yeah, it's a terrible idea to do something horological with all these orphaned movements. they should just sit in a drawer somewhere.

i'm being facetious.

Default Re: looking for someone who can convert a pocket watch to wrist watch (RE: brad)

thank you for the responses. i didn't know there was a movement of people converting pocket watches. yet when i think of it, it would be interesting to see a revival of pocket watches. but i doubt that they would really appreciate the complexity of the movements,(i probably sound a bit elitist). i was just hoping i could find someone that could weld some wire lugs on a pocket watch. i just want a wrist watch i like :P. i will check out Otto Frei and see what i find. again thank you - cal chan
    Last edited by calchan; 09-23-2011 at 02:03 PM.

Registered user.

Default Re: looking for someone who can convert a pocket watch to wrist watch (RE: brad)

Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    yeah, it's a terrible idea to do something horological with all these orphaned movements. they should just sit in a drawer somewhere.

i'm being facetious.
    Actually, it's up to you since it is 'your' property. If you want to convert them all to wristwatches I encourage you to do so because it only helps me in the long-run. My originals simply get more valuable.

Like the guys that buy and restore old cars; there's the group that only believes that cars should remain 'original,' and then the group that upgrades cars with the latest-greatest technology. I happen like originals...
    -> posts merged by system <-
    Quote Originally Posted by calchan View Post
    thank you for the responses. i didn't know there was a movement of people converting pocket watches. yet when i think of it, it would be interesting to see a revival of pocket watches. but i doubt that they would really appreciate the complexity of the movements,(i probably sound a bit elitist). i was just hoping i could find someone that could weld some wire lugs on a pocket watch. i just want a wrist watch i like :P. i will check out Otto Frei and see what i find. again thank you - cal chan
    Here is an old watch that I have. It appears to me that it may have once been a small pocket watch, but I'm not sure. The lugs do not look original to me. The back on the watch is a hinged back and can be opened to reveal the movement.

Default Re: looking for someone who can convert a pocket watch to wrist watch (RE: EverydayCat)

Quote Originally Posted by EverydayCat View Post
    Actually, it's up to you since it is 'your' property. If you want to convert them all to wristwatches I encourage you to do so because it only helps me in the long-run. My originals simply get more valuable.

Like the guys that buy and restore old cars; there's the group that only believes that cars should remain 'original,' and then the group that upgrades cars with the latest-greatest technology. I happen like originals...
    well i'm 21 so i am young and naive, but to group collectors and enthusiast into groups of either traditionalist or modifier is a bit much. as there is a huge range of enthusiast between the two. "modifiers" can defiantly have an appreciation and a desire to keep some watches in their original state and vice versa.

when you say that "your originals simply get more valuable" that is true, the total amount of untouched watches does go down, but you are implying that modifying a watch devalues the watch. there is defiantly a market for converted pocket watches and who knows maybe someone is willing to pay more for the modified version then the original. its all really subjective.

i defiantly understand and agree that it is nice to have a unmodified pocket watch that is rare and of high grade, as i like to think i have one. but to think of watches for only their monetary value brings question to my mind, (i'm not trying to bash you EverydayCat), but when i look at my watch i tend not to think of how valuable it is, but how unique and special it is.

also about that watch you posted, it was common for people to convert pocket watches into wrist watches around the first world war because of the popularity and practicality of wrist watches. sometimes they used a ladies pendant watch and had a watch maker attack wire lugs to it.
    Last edited by calchan; 09-23-2011 at 07:05 PM.

Registered user.

Default Re: looking for someone who can convert a pocket watch to wrist watch (RE: calchan)

Quote Originally Posted by calchan View Post
    well i'm 21 so i am young and naive, but to group collectors and enthusiast into groups of either traditionalist or modifier is a bit much. as there is a huge range of enthusiast between the two. "modifiers" can defiantly have an appreciation and a desire to keep some watches in their original state and vice versa.

when you say that "your originals simply get more valuable" that is true, the total amount of untouched watches does go down, but you are implying that modifying a watch devalues the watch. there is defiantly a market for converted pocket watches and who knows maybe someone is willing to pay more for the modified version then the original. its all really subjective.

i defiantly understand and agree that it is nice to have a unmodified pocket watch that is rare and of high grade, as i like to think i have one. but to think of watches for only their monetary value brings question to my mind, (i'm not trying to bash you EverydayCat), but when i look at my watch i tend not to think of how valuable it is, but how unique and special it is.

also about that watch you posted, it was common for people to convert pocket watches into wrist watches around the first world war because of the popularity and practicality of wrist watches. sometimes they used a ladies pendant watch and had a watch maker attack wire lugs to it.
    Between 21 years old and my current old age the term 'value' took on many meanings to me and the monetary relationship to the word is not high on my list. I have many 'valuable' memories and items that is not worth much in terms of money, but invaluable to me.

Not exactly what you are looking for (soldering lugs to an existing pocket watch case), but similar:
    There are plenty of (ok, at least three) different wrist watch cases available that will take 10 size Hamiltons. I am saying Hamilton (as opposed to generic 10 size movement), because I know that for the Hamiltons the stem height matches the Unitas/ETA 6497 that some of these cases are made for.
    I am currently wearing an orphaned (case scrapped for gold content, I assume) Hamilton 917, that I put without any modifications to movement or dial or hands into a 44mm stainless steel wristwatch case with see-through back. The 12 on the dial is of course at the wristwatch crown position where normally 3 o'clock would be, but that's easy to get used to, and it preserves the original dial with applied gold numerals.

Oh, and it's extremely valuable, because I did it myself...