Month's Goal: $300, Received: $350.00 - (117%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 949 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered user.

Default Can I demagnetize without demagnetizer?

Down the road to tool-ville I have planned to buy a demagnetizer, but until then is there something I can do as a work-around to accomplish the job? A DIY demagnetizer?
    Thank You. AL M. (EverydayCat) - Plano,TX
    "A man, like a watch, is to be valued for his manner of going." - William Penn

Default Re: Can I demagnetize without demagnetizer? (RE: EverydayCat)

I still use a DIY demagnetizer.

Mine consists of a kitchen glass wrapped with about 50 turns of magnet wire(available at Radio Shack) and connected to a Lionel train transformer. To use it, I put a watch(or part) inside the glass, bring the power all the way up, and then slowly bring it down.
    Chapter 149

Registered user.

Default Re: Can I demagnetize without demagnetizer? (RE: ben_hutcherson)

Hi
    I know of two ther ways to demagnetize but
    none of them is most likely what you are looking for.
    1. A hard mecanical shock. Such as hitting with
    a hammer, while in a nulled magnetic field.
    2. Raise the temperature past the Curie point
    for that metal and then slowly lower it in a nulled
    magnetic field.

It sounds like a demagnetizer of some type is what
    you need.
    Tinker Dwight

Registered user.

Default Re: Can I demagnetize without demagnetizer? (RE: Tinker Dwight)

You can also demagnetize by rotating a magnet. Old demagnetizes were made that way. A special movement you could wind and when started it rotates the magnet to create an oscillating magnetic field.

My demagnetizer is made from a few neodyne magnets and an electrical toothbrush. I glued the magnets on the motor axis and to demagnetize I simply start it and move the object close and away a few times.

Registered user.

Default Re: Can I demagnetize without demagnetizer? (RE: Skutt50)

Hi
    The rotating magnet should work great. Make sure
    it is the poles that are rotating. You want
    to create an altenating field.
    The trick, as was mentioned, is to approach and
    then pull away slowly.
    Tinker Dwight

Registered user.

I found a picture of my set-up.

This works great for smaller parts e.g. an arbor or a hairspring (watch out for hairsprings. Wind in tissue paper.)

When I need to demagnetize larger parts I simply add 2 or more magnets on the glued on magnet. This works for tweezers or pliers etc.

Good luck!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pryl.jpg  

Hi All:
    If you have a soldering gun (NOT soldering iron) you can hold the magnetized part with tweezers between the legs of the tip, press the trigger, and withdraw the part. If you want to magnetize anything, hold the part between the legs, press the trigger for a few seconds, then release.
    Best regards,
    Steve Settle

Default your machine (RE: Skutt50)

Quote Originally Posted by Skutt50 View Post
    I found a picture of my set-up. This works great for smaller parts e.g. an arbor or a hairspring (watch out for hairsprings. Wind in tissue paper.)When I need to demagnetize larger parts I simply add 2 or more magnets on the glued on magnet. This works for tweezers or pliers etc.Good luck!
    Skutt, da foto of your maschine reminds stiff of Doktor Who's "schall schraubendreher"!

sm iiH!

Registered user.

Quote Originally Posted by Skutt50 View Post
    I found a picture of my set-up.

This works great for smaller parts e.g. an arbor or a hairspring (watch out for hairsprings. Wind in tissue paper.)

When I need to demagnetize larger parts I simply add 2 or more magnets on the glued on magnet. This works for tweezers or pliers etc.

Good luck!
    Lots of good suggestions. I can't tell much from the picture. Is that a flat, round magnet in the end of the old brush? And, not sure how this works.

The suggestion about the solider gun sounds like a good one. I think I have an old one in my tools ...
    Thank You. AL M. (EverydayCat) - Plano,TX
    "A man, like a watch, is to be valued for his manner of going." - William Penn

Registered user.

The magnet is a neodyne magnet. Very strong!

The tool is originally a battery driven toothbrush. By dissasembling the toothbrush you will find an electrical motor, the battery and the start/stop mechanism.

The magnet is glued on top of the motor arbor. There is usually something attached on the motor arbor which you can use to attach the magnet. You might need to do some filing but it should not be any big issue...

When I need stronger force I take a pair of the same type of magnet and just stick on top of the single magnet. (They will of course cling together without any glue or tape, They are magnets!)

It simply works as follows;

Start the motor. The magnet will rotate! This will give you an alternating magnetic field in which you can demagnetize parts. Move the magnetized part close to the rotating magnet and slowly move it a few feet away. Do this a couple of times and test the part....

Registered user.

Hi
    I would think that a magnet on the end of a piece
    of dowel rod would work. Just only move away while
    twizzling it between your palms and not move away
    when not rotating.
    Tinker Dwight

While I hate to be pedantic (well, not really ), I'd like to point out that all the methods that have been described in this thread are really inexpensive ways to **make** a demagnetizer, not ways to demagnetize a watch without one.

And all of these methods will work to one extent or another.

The basis of an degaussing mechanism (the formal word for demagnetizing) is to expose the item being degaussed to a varying magnetic field whose intensity is lower gradually until the field strength reaches 0. When you place your watch in a regular coil degausser, the AC current changes the direction of the field 120 times per second (60 cycles per second gives 120 field direction reversals per second. At least, that's how it is in the US - in other places I believe they use 50 cps current, so they only get 100 field reversals per second).

So, you put the watch into the middle of the coil, turn it on, and slowly pull the watch out while the coil is on, until the watch is as far away from the coil as your arms can manage. Then you turn the coil off. The distance from the coil is what causes the diminishment of the field strength (which varies as the square of the distance).

Any manner with which you can accomplish the rapidly reversing magnetic field coupled with a field strength that diminishes to 0 will degauss a magnetized item.

Registered user.

Default Re: Can I demagnetize without demagnetizer? (RE: Harvey Mintz)

Hi
    I understand this concept but I've wondered
    about how this tool works that I got at the hardware
    store.
    It is a green square piece of plastic with, I assume,
    magnets inside.
    Drag a screwdriver through one hole and it is
    magnetized ( makes sense ).
    Drag it through another hole and it is demagnetized??
    How do you suppose that works?
    Tinker Dwight

Registered user.

Tinker

I have one of those daises as well and I never got it to demagnetize properly.

At some moments I tend to believe it can do some change to e.g. a screwdriver but for watch purposes I find it useless........

Default Re: Can I demagnetize without demagnetizer? (RE: Harvey Mintz)

Quote Originally Posted by EverydayCat View Post
    Down the road to tool-ville I have planned to buy a demagnetizer, but until then is there something I can do as a work-around to accomplish the job? A DIY demagnetizer?
    Quote Originally Posted by Harvey Mintz View Post
    While I hate to be pedantic (well, not really ), I'd like to point out that all the methods that have been described in this thread are really inexpensive ways to **make** a demagnetizer, not ways to demagnetize a watch without one. . . . . . . . . . . .
    ? stiff don't get it . . . . . .

sm iiH!