Month's Goal: $300, Received: $230.00 - (77%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 1130 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Is there a way to burn words into wood handles?

I want to burn words or phrases into wood handles that I make for my gravers and needle files. Just short phrases like HSS or COBALT or things like that. I want to burn them all at once without etching each letter with a woodburner, and then shellac the handle.

Is there a way anyone here has done that? I was thinking of attaching the stamps that diemakers use together to make my phrase and then attaching to a soldering gun. Or something.

Ideas?
    Doug Haeussler, NAWCC #0167553 - Prescott Valley, AZ

Default Re: Is there a way to burn words into wood handles? (RE: cazboy)

Your last comment about using stamps sounds like it would work. If you go that way, I would buy a cheap set of letter punches
    and know that they may not be any good when you get done with them. I don't think a soldering iron will get them hot enough to
    scorch the wood so you can read it. Getting them good and hot with a propane torch should do the trick, but may also anneal
    the metal enough that the letters would become deformed if you try to use them for punch marking in metal later on.

You might look for an old typewriter to take apart for the letters..

Default Re: Is there a way to burn words into wood handles? (RE: Dean Williams)

If you're going to clear coat anyway why not just use a permanent ink Sharpie?
    I have done that and it worked out well.
    Regards,
    Jeff

Default Re: Is there a way to burn words into wood handles? (RE: the 3rd dwarve)

Good idea, Jeff!

Default Re: Is there a way to burn words into wood handles? (RE: Dean Williams)

Jeff, that may just turn out to be what I do! Good idea.... Still, I'd like to check with some of the places around here like "Hobby Lobby" to see if there's a way to burn entire words onto a homemade wood handle.

When I was a kid, I had a woodburning set. It was basically a high temp soldering pen with various shaped tips. You could freehand the letters, or write them in pencil first as a guide.

I don't know if woodburing sets are still sold. Maybe OSHA eliminating them!

Frank Del Greco

Default Re: Is there a way to burn words into wood handles? (RE: FDelGreco)

Doug,

I read your original post so I know you don't want to use a wood burning pen and burn them in individually. I don’t know how many of each you want to do but you could have irons cast.

http://www.woodcraft.com/Search2/Sea...urning%20tools

Certainly not worth it if you’re only doing a few.

If you want to try an experiment buy an inexpensive letter punch set. You can get Neiko #2624 36Pcs 1/4" Number & Letter Punch Set from Amazon. Com delivered for under $15. Send me the ones you want to use and I’ll grind them down, make up a holder so you can swap out letters, and put a handle on the so you can use a propane torch.

Regards,
    Jeff

Default Re: Is there a way to burn words into wood handles? (RE: the 3rd dwarve)

Quote Originally Posted by FDelGreco View Post
    When I was a kid, I had a woodburning set. It was basically a high temp soldering pen with various shaped tips. You could freehand the letters, or write them in pencil first as a guide.

I don't know if woodburing sets are still sold. Maybe OSHA eliminating them!

Frank Del Greco
    Hi Frank, woodburning each letter is exactly what I wanted to avoid! Too hard to get each letter consistent, same height - you get the picture. My idea is to make them look really good. Not for anyone else, mind you. Just for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Monti View Post
    Doug,

I read your original post so I know you don't want to use a wood burning pen and burn them in individually. I don’t know how many of each you want to do but you could have irons cast.

http://www.woodcraft.com/Search2/Sea...urning%20tools

Certainly not worth it if you’re only doing a few.

If you want to try an experiment buy an inexpensive letter punch set. You can get Neiko #2624 36Pcs 1/4" Number & Letter Punch Set from Amazon. Com delivered for under $15. Send me the ones you want to use and I’ll grind them down, make up a holder so you can swap out letters, and put a handle on the so you can use a propane torch.

Regards,
    Jeff
    OK, now we're getting somewhere! The Woodcraft electric branding iron is EXACTLY what I am looking for. A bit pricey, but chances are I'll be making more than a few. Trouble is, I'd need a separate one for "HSS", "COBALT" & "SUPER COBALT". Still - they sure would look nice. I see the letters are available in 3/8" (way too big for me) and 3/16" (just about right). With enough practice, I'd be able to roll the letters onto a 7/16" round piece of maple dowel so the top & bottom of the lettering would show equally....

On the other hand, the Neiko number & letter punch set would be great too. They could be arranged to spell out whatever I needed at the moment and certainly much cheaper.

Jeff, thanks for the kind offer. I'm out of town just now (with plenty of time to mull my choices over). Hopefully I'll PM ya in a few days.
    Last edited by cazboy; 09-05-2011 at 04:59 PM. Reason: Consternation turns to lucidation.

Doug,

If you want it to look printed you could always get an ink stamp made and use permanent black ink. You can get stamps made really inexpensively.

http://www.rubberstampchamp.com/custom.aspx?id=30

Regards,
    Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Monti View Post
    Doug,

If you want it to look printed you could always get an ink stamp made and use permanent black ink. You can get stamps made really inexpensively.

http://www.rubberstampchamp.com/custom.aspx?id=30

Regards,
    Jeff
    OK, I suspect that just might be the best idea yet. It always happens, I get an idea stuck in my head and I don't even think of another approach - I never even considered the rubber stamp idea. That's what I like about throwing an idea out to you guys.
    Thanks Jeff!

Registered user.

Doug;
    Piece o' cake. Engrave the words on 3/8" brass square bar. I do this on my old Gorton 3U pantograph engraver. Use a raised reverse font set. This gives lettering as seen on stamps.

The engraved brass bar piece gets silver soldered to the end of a steel bolt mounted in a wooden handle. The brass end gets heated by propane torch. Do not heat to red.

If you do not have an engraver in your shop, a trophy shop can do the work for you.

Here's my engraver:
    http://www.JamesRiser.com/Machinery/...h/Restore.html

Jim
    Last edited by motormaker; 09-05-2011 at 11:45 PM.

Default Re: Is there a way to burn words into wood handles? (RE: motormaker)

Quote Originally Posted by motormaker View Post
    Jim:

Wow! How long did it take you to do that restoration?

Frank Del Greco

Registered user.

Default Re: Is there a way to burn words into wood handles? (RE: FDelGreco)

Quote Originally Posted by FDelGreco View Post
    Jim:

Wow! How long did it take you to do that restoration?

Frank Del Greco
    About a week.
    Jim

Default Re: Is there a way to burn words into wood handles? (RE: motormaker)

Quote Originally Posted by motormaker View Post
    About a week.
    Jim
    Jim,
    That's a pretty extensive restoration on that engraver. Congratulations - great job!

I don't have an engraver, so your idea of getting a trophy shop to produce raised reverse letters on brass sounds excellent - thanks for the idea.
    Last edited by cazboy; 09-06-2011 at 09:04 PM. Reason: Consternation turns to lucidation.

Tandy Leather Co. used to offer a service where they would make a metal stamp, used to hammer the impression into something made of leather, that slipped on to a metal handle. I sent in a copy of my initials of specific dimension to them and I received the stamp with an exact relief of my initials. I stamped items I made for others. Anyhow, that type of service could be used to burning into wood as it is constructed of fairly high grade steel that would more than likely take some heat. It was a fairly expensive operation so times that by three for your needs. Now, are you convinced to try permanent markers?
    Darrah
    Chap. 15, 124, 139, 149, 168