Month's Goal: $300, Received: $235.00 - (78%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 1177 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default New Haven octagon short drop No. 2

I am in dire need of some info. I have had this clock since the mid seventies. Finally decided to put it back in running order. Never having seen this particular set up with detached alarm movement I am totally stumped as to where the wire trip lever mounts. I have spent three days searching for a picture of the internals of this clock and have fouind nothing.

I am hoping thjat one of y'all has one of these or has repaired one and can set me straight.

The movements are in excellent shape and will only need two bushings in the alarm movement.

If you can set this old man straight I will really be grateful. Driving me batty...

Thank y'all.

Forgot to include a picture of a complete clock. This one is T&S only. No alarm like mine has..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New haven 009.JPG   New haven 010.JPG   New Haven No. 2 011.JPG   New Haven No. 2 006.JPG   New Haven No. 2 010.JPG  

New Haven.jpg  
    Last edited by moe1942; 09-02-2011 at 10:49 AM.

Default Re: New Haven octagon short drop No. 2 (RE: moe1942)

The back side of the set ring has a recessed groove that a connecting lever falls into. The lever is usually just a flat piece of metal with a bend in the end. A hole drilled in the bottom of it is for the wire which also connects to the alarm arm. When the lever falls into the groove, the alarm is activated. You'll have to play with the wire length to get it just right to activate at the right time. You set the alarm by setting the alarm time in line with the hour hand. I don't see the lever on yours, or even a place to put it, but it would be easy to make. It will rotate on a pin, usually to the left of the set ring. See if you can find where it was on your movement.
    Well, a picture is worth 1000 words, so here
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Alarm Lever.jpg  
    Last edited by shutterbug; 09-02-2011 at 11:26 AM.

Banned

Default Re: New Haven octagon short drop No. 2 (RE: shutterbug)

Quote Originally Posted by shutterbug View Post
    I don't see the lever on yours, or even a place to put it, but it would be easy to make. It will rotate on a pin, usually to the left of the set ring. See if you can find where it was on your movement.
    Well, a picture is worth 1000 words, so here
    There appears to be a hole in the front plate, about 1/4 of the way down from the top. That's where the lever would have been mounted.The photo Shutt posted show what it looks like.

Default Re: New Haven octagon short drop No. 2 (RE: Thyme)

Thanks for the replies. I saw that hole too but nothing has ever been mounted there. I looked at the area with a glass and there are no marks at all. I think on this older movement the bent wire in the pic serves that purpose but can't see how it attaches.

I could fab a trip arm like that but would like to keep it original if possible..

This is the wire lever that I think serves the purpose of riding on the alrm snail..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New haven 010.JPG  

I forgot to mention that it was also missing the gong, bell or both. There is only one hole in the case back where one would go..I'm sure hoping that someone has a picture of the internals..

Okay, you need something that will reach from the neighborhood of the snail down to the alarm unit, to keep the control arm lifted so's the rattle wheel won't turn until the arm is dropped. The bent wire in your pic isn't nearly long enough to reach, so something else is gonna be needed.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	alarm rod.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	143.8 KB 
ID:	101355

This wire (arrow) originates in the right vicinity. What does it do up there?

bangster
    1. Check out the REPAIR HINTS & HOW-TO's forum! Click Here.

Default Re: New Haven octagon short drop No. 2 (RE: bangster)

That wire is the new suspension spring. Haven't formed the tail yet. Have to fit a new verge also.

I could fab a trip arm like Shutterbug showed in his pic but sure would like to use the original lever. The wire lever is the one laying on the alarm snail.

It's hard to admit that after all the years of repairing clocks I have been stumped...big time.
    -> posts merged by system <-
    Please let me know if more pictures from different angles or close up would help.

I misspoke. That wire is the verge. Need to form the loop end yet.
    Last edited by moe1942; 09-02-2011 at 01:54 PM.

I don't like the wire idea. Why not do it right? You have the hole - even if it's never been used, so what? Use it. Make the lever

Default Re: New Haven octagon short drop No. 2 (RE: shutterbug)

Quote Originally Posted by shutterbug View Post
    I don't like the wire idea. Why not do it right? You have the hole - even if it's never been used, so what? Use it. Make the lever
    Disagree (for now).
    At one time, there was a setup that allowed the alarm to work. That may or may not have involved the strangely bent wire. But (as I said) one thing is certain: it involved a link from the cam on the back of the setting ring, to the control lever on the alarm unit. Moe says there's no sign a lever was ever located at that hole. IF that's the case, then there had to be some other arrangement. But a link from cam to alarm unit there had to be. No way for the setting ring to release the alarm without one.

Try to figure out how it could have worked before...then have it work that way again. Look for signs of other levers, whatever.

We know how that kind of alarm works: a wire or something runs from the control lever of the alarm upwards, supported in some way by something riding on the snail cam. When that upper something drops into the notch on the cam, the wire (or whatever) drops, unlocking the alarm unit.

Nothing complicated about the bottom end of the setup: just a long hook on the end of a wire, through the eyelet on the lever to hold the lever up. What we don't know is the upper end of the setup, that allowed it to work before. I repeat: something(s) are missing that were present before. One is a long wire (or chain, or something) spanning the distance from the setting ring to the alarm unit. Another is a cam follower of some kind, capable of falling into the cam notch to drop the long wire and release the alarm. What could it have been?

If the strange bent wire plays a role, it's probably as the bottom half of a two-part link up to the snail cam. The end that's upper in the picture is actually the lower end: the L-shaped hook goes through the eyelet on the control lever. Another wire connects to the eyelet on the end of the bent wire, and runs up to the cam. (Dunno about that twist in the middle.) The mystery remains at the upper end.

If, finally, there's no way to determine what the original upper setup was, THEN go ahead and install a cam-follower lever where there never was one before. It may not be original, but it'll make the alarm work.

Default Re: New Haven octagon short drop No. 2 (RE: bangster)

You just need the arm that drops in the alarm dial, and a wire to connect the arm to the alarm unit. Clock supply houses sell the arm that can be used to make this work.
    Larry Pearson, FNAWCC* #35863

Default Re: New Haven octagon short drop No. 2 (RE: lpbp)

Quote Originally Posted by lpbp View Post
    You just need the arm that drops in the alarm dial, and a wire to connect the arm to the alarm unit. Clock supply houses sell the arm that can be used to make this work.
    If he wants to keep it original, and it didn't originally have that arm, he may need something else.

bangster

I thank y'all for throwing ideas out. Actually the later movements used that hole and lever as suggested. This is a early pinned movement. I examined that hole with my loop, both sides and the metal is cherry. First thing I thought of when I saw the hole. That bent wire lever was in the container with all the other parts so I am certain it plays a role.

If y'all take a look at the end of the lever shaped like a "U" it looks just like trip wires I have seen in the past. It rides on that set dial snail like it belongs there.Just can't visualize how it mounts.

If y'all can't bail me out plan B is to make a lever and stake it in that hole. I just hate to modify an old clock.

All mmy old clockmaker buddies are gone so no shout outs..

Banned

It may have been a jury rigged situation from the start. My theory is that the L-shaped end of weirdly bent rod was being used as the cam follower on the snail. The loop in the center was the pivot point, where it was attached to the frame, and the other end must have been attached to a trip wire that ran down to the alarm itself.

"Bend to adjust."

Quote Originally Posted by moe1942 View Post
    I thank y'all for throwing ideas out. Actually the later movements used that hole and lever as suggested. This is a early pinned movement. I examined that hole with my loop, both sides and the metal is cherry. First thing I thought of when I saw the hole. That bent wire lever was in the container with all the other parts so I am certain it plays a role.

If y'all take a look at the end of the lever shaped like a "U" it looks just like trip wires I have seen in the past. It rides on that set dial snail like it belongs there.Just can't visualize how it mounts.

If y'all can't bail me out plan B is to make a lever and stake it in that hole. I just hate to modify an old clock.

All mmy old clockmaker buddies are gone so no shout outs..
    Er...which lever shaped like a "U" would that be? And where is it?

Default Re: New Haven octagon short drop No. 2 (RE: Thyme)

Quote Originally Posted by Thyme View Post
    It may have been a jury rigged situation from the start. My theory is that the L-shaped end of weirdly bent rod was being used as the cam follower on the snail. The loop in the center was the pivot point, where it was attached to the frame, and the other end must have been attached to a trip wire that ran down to the alarm itself.

"Bend to adjust."
    I don't think so, for a couple of reasons. First, the bent rod looks to be about 5 or 6 inches long...way to long for that purpose. Second, if the loop in the center were the pivot point, when the follower drops into the cam notch, the other end would raise the trip wire, rather than lowering it. So I'm gonna stick with my theory (such as it is) for now.