Month's Goal: $300, Received: $90.00 - (30%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 1094 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.

Default ultrasonic cleaning solution for watch movements

I read that paint thinner is a good ultrasonic cleaning solution for watch movements. Anyone have any good suggestions? I recently used a water based on a Waltham Royal movement and it worked out well. The watch runs great....but i read that water based is not recommended.

Registered user.

Default Re: ultrasonic cleaning solution for watch movements (RE: finiteguy)

I use L&R non ammoniated solutions for general cleaning, One-Dip for hairsprings, but I'm hearing that there's a newer hairspring cleaner that is cheaper and that doesn't have the fumes. Zenith 707.
    Regards,

Randy
    Last edited by Randy Beamer; 08-20-2011 at 10:06 PM.

Default Re: ultrasonic cleaning solution for watch movements (RE: Randy Beamer)

I use paint thinner (mineral spirits) as an initial rinse after using L&R petroleum based watch cleaning solution. I give the parts a final rinse in Coleman lantern fuel as is leaves no residue and contains a rust inhibitor.
    Darrah
    Chap. 15, 124, 139, 149, 168

Registered user.

Default Re: ultrasonic cleaning solution for watch movements (RE: darrahg)

Quote Originally Posted by darrahg View Post
    I use paint thinner (mineral spirits) as an initial rinse after using L&R petroleum based watch cleaning solution. I give the parts a final rinse in Coleman lantern fuel as is leaves no residue and contains a rust inhibitor.
    Since I am new to this I have a question: Are we talking about wristwatch movements, pocket watch movements or both as it rates to petroleum based cleaning solutions and rinse?

Thanks,
    AL

Default Re: ultrasonic cleaning solution for watch movements (RE: EverydayCat)

I use it on wrist and pocket watches and clocks. I make sure the cleaner and rinse are new or almost new (very clean) with the watches. The cleaning solution can get a little color (dirty) with clocks. I don't mean any disrespect to clocks, they just have a broader tolerance and my rinses are clean for all movements.
    Oh, watch cases are cleaned in older solutions.
    Darrah
    Chap. 15, 124, 139, 149, 168

Default Re: ultrasonic cleaning solution for watch movements (RE: darrahg)

Quote Originally Posted by darrahg View Post
    If it contains a rust inhibitor, it by definition leaves a residue. It would be nice to avoid that. Another solvent that you can use that won't leave a residue is VM&P Naptha (aka Ronsin Lighter Fluid).

If you go back about 5 years, you will find a long thread that I started where I was looking for homemade alternatives to the L&R solutions... this was before the new board, so you can't search on Gnomon as a user name, but probably as a text string.

-Chuck Harris