Month's Goal: $300, Received: $110.00 - (37%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 541 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.

Default j calame robert 906 18k gold pocket watch

Can anyone tell me anything out this watch
    j calame robert 906 18k gold pocket watch

Default Re: j calame robert 906 18k gold pocket watch (RE: smittys)

Interesting watch, Smitty

James Calame-Robert (according to Pritchard) registered its name in 1880, and continued until 1925 when it became J C Breitmeyer. It operated in La Chaux de Fonds and London.

Interestingly, it registered a trademark in 1889 which was then transferred in 1892 to Courvoisier Freres. What is interesting about this is that it suggests a link between James Calame-Robert and Courvoisier, which resonates with the original Robert and Courvoisier, master watchmakers of the 18th century. There was also a Fritz Courvoisier-Calame, so there was clearly extensive intermarrieage amongst these three families.

I have never seen anything like your movement pattern, which I would guess to be idiosyncratic to this maker

The whole watch was obviously made for the English market, but I have no idea whether it was made in London or La Chaux de Fonds. The case was certainly made in England, as evidenced by the hallmarks.

The hallmarks are a little indistinct; they show a London assay, and I think the date letter is a lower case Gothic "p" which would be for 1870. That is earlier than the date Pritchard gives for the registration of Calame-Robert's name, but would simply suggest that Pritchard has that date a little wrong. It would be helpful if you could show us a photo of the hallmarks on the inside back cover, which should show a fourth mark - that of the casemaker - which may enable us to confirm the date.

That is an extravagant engraving on the cuvette I believe that the legend beneath the eagle simply says "Spirale Breguet" which means that the watch has a Breguet hairspring.

Default Re: j calame robert 906 18k gold pocket watch (RE: MartyR)

Couple more pics

Default Re: j calame robert 906 18k gold pocket watch (RE: smittys)

Smitty, now I can see the date letter clearly, it's an Old English upper case P, which is for 1850.

That makes the Pritchard date of 1880 when the name of J Calame-Robert was registered a little problematic, but perhaps he had been using the name for a long time before he actually registerd it.

For what it is worth, I have a LOT of 5- and 6-digit serial numbers of watches (movements?) sourced by Louis Audemars' London depot from Calame-Robert and Courvoisier in the early 1880s.
    (Details & descriptions on PM request if anyone is interested, although it will take a little while to sort them from the rest of the lists).

The books don't make it clear whether these carried their original brands or were sold carrying the name of the retail customer. I suspect the latter.

I think they were probably bought direct, not through the Brassus office, although that is speculation and I have no way to verify it..

Paul
    Last edited by Audemars; 08-16-2011 at 03:22 AM. Reason: Date error

Registered user.

Default Re: j calame robert 906 18k gold pocket watch (RE: Audemars)

Recently I got hold of a Hunter case pocketwatch signed Js.Calame Robert on the dustcover. It was obviously produced for the english or american market, showing englishstyle hallmarks both in front- and backcover
    Remarkable seems the construction of the case with separate dustcover.
    The dustcover (gold, marked with swiss hallmark fom Neufchatel) is attached to a metal (brass) ring surrounding the movement.
    When the movement is removed, the dustcover stays with the movement. Never seen this before.
    Due to the swiss hallmark, production should have been before 1865.
    As it is reported, that James Calame Robert bought ebauches from Louis Audemars, one could suggest that the movement was made by Audemars. Unfortunately there are no marks on the movement except the 6digit serialnumber, matching one of the two shown casenumbers.

Thomas
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	James Calame Robert 001.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	134.3 KB 
ID:	163206Click image for larger version. 

Name:	James Calame Robert 002.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	118.3 KB 
ID:	163207Click image for larger version. 

Name:	James Calame Robert 003.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	151.0 KB 
ID:	163208Click image for larger version. 

Name:	James Calame Robert 004.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	108.4 KB 
ID:	163209

Quote Originally Posted by MartyR View Post
    Interesting watch, Smitty

That is an extravagant engraving on the cuvette I believe that the legend beneath the eagle simply says "Spirale Breguet" which means that the watch has a Breguet hairspring.

I'm very interested to know more about that double head Eagle. It's so very much like a Russian crest, but there's no uniting crown or coat of arms in the crest. The Eagles each appear to be wearing their own crown, they have the orb and scepter.
    Are they a specific Crest or representation?

I've never seen a plate layout quite like that either. Looks very nice. I like it.