Month's Goal: $300, Received: $110.00 - (37%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.


NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 1081 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.
Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Registered User rlwindle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    343

    Default I Bought it, but don't know what a Junghans German Anticlimatic clock is.

    Bought this on auction $80, they called it a Junghans German Anticlimatic clock. It looks like it may run on batteries of some sort with the red and black wires hanging out of the back. Anyone have a clue about the battery type?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Complete clock.jpg   alt movement.jpg   back of clock.jpg   bottom of clock.jpg  

  2. #2
    Registered User Kevin W.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    17,216
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: I Bought it, but don't know what a Junghans German Anticlimatic clock is. (RE: rlwindle)

    Looks like it used a battery pack.
    Perhaps post in electrical clocks forum for better exposure.Its a really nice clock.
    One clock at a time. Kevin West
    http://www.global-horology.com/GHMB/

  3. #3

    Default Re: I Bought it, but don't know what a Junghans German Anticlimatic clock is. (RE: Kevin W.)

    The "Anticlimatic" Junghans battery clock uses the square packaged 1-1/2 volt battery which is difficult to locate but various "substitute" adapters are available. The removable "T" shaped metal bracket shown in the last photo secures the rectangular battery pack underneath the clock case.

    Battery adapters are specially configured so as to connect several 1-1/2 volt AA size flashlilght cells in a parallel configuration to provide a long working life power source of the correct voltage for the clock.

    The photos reveal a small white plastic box that at first glance appears to be a connector block. Inside is a switching transistor that controls the drive solenoid for the pendulum.

    Earlier versions did not have this transistor switch. Instead the earlier movement had tiny gold tipped dry contacts to switch the battery voltage to the drive solenoid.

    The loose colored leads connect to the battery package. Polarity + and - must be observed.

    These Junghans ATO type battery clocks are very reliable and usually operate well for several years on a single one and a half volt dry cell.

    Battery voltage greater than the 1.5 volts DC is not needed and can damage the circuits.

    I do not know why Junghans branded these with the "Anticlimatic" name.
    Last edited by Eckmill; 08-07-2011 at 07:46 PM. Reason: Add a word or two
    H.J. (Les) Lesovsky, Alhambra California

  4. #4
    Registered User rlwindle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    343

    Default Re: I Bought it, but don't know what a Junghans German Anticlimatic clock is. (RE: Kevin W.)

    Google is the most wonderful invention. I learned a lot about this clock from there, I know it has to be level and I discovered I can still get batteries for the clock from Timesavers, $20 and supposedly they last a real long time in this type of clock. These clocks have been known to keep on running in some cases with the battery has died. In the third picture of the back there are two wires with a connection on them. These connections connect to the contacts on the batteries. Unscrew the contacts, place the connection part of the wires on and screw the contacts back on. Can't wait to get the battery. D cell flashlight batteries work as well.

    I also found out that most of the time the globe or cover is missing, fortune smiles on Russell again, mine still has its cover.

  5. #5
    Registered User Kevin W.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    17,216
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: I Bought it, but don't know what a Junghans German Anticlimatic clock is. (RE: rlwindle)

    Enjoy Rl , its a nice clock.
    One clock at a time. Kevin West
    http://www.global-horology.com/GHMB/

  6. #6
    Registered User soaringjoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Germany, North Rhine-Westphalia
    Posts
    7,237

    Default Re: I Bought it, but don't know what a Junghans German Anticlimatic clock is. (RE: Eckmill)

    Quote Originally Posted by Eckmill View Post
    I do not know why Junghans branded these with the "Anticlimatic" name.
    The term "Anticlimatic" is
    "stab into the back, through the chest and into the eye" German thinking.

    Climatic conditions influence the clock, normally.
    This clock compensates that, so it's "Anti-climatic-conditions".

    Yeah, well something like that, errr...

    Jurgen

  7. #7
    Registered User rlwindle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    343

    Default Re: I Bought it, but don't know what a Junghans German Anticlimatic clock is. (RE: Eckmill)

    Quote Originally Posted by Eckmill View Post
    The "Anticlimatic" Junghans battery clock uses the square packaged 1-1/2 volt battery which is difficult to locate but various "substitute" adapters are available. The removable "T" shaped metal bracket shown in the last photo secures the rectangular battery pack underneath the clock case.

    Battery adapters are specially configured so as to connect several 1-1/2 volt AA size flashlilght cells in a parallel configuration to provide a long working life power source of the correct voltage for the clock.

    The photos reveal a small white plastic box that at first glance appears to be a connector block. Inside is a switching transistor that controls the drive solenoid for the pendulum.

    Earlier versions did not have this transistor switch. Instead the earlier movement had tiny gold tipped dry contacts to switch the battery voltage to the drive solenoid.

    The loose colored leads connect to the battery package. Polarity + and - must be observed.

    These Junghans ATO type battery clocks are very reliable and usually operate well for several years on a single one and a half volt dry cell.

    Battery voltage greater than the 1.5 volts DC is not needed and can damage the circuits.

    I do not know why Junghans branded these with the "Anticlimatic" name.

    Sort of anticlimactic huh, couldn't resist. Thanks for the info.

  8. #8
    Registered User Scottie-TX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Mesquite, TX
    Posts
    935

    Default Re: I Bought it, but don't know what a Junghans German Anticlimatic clock is. (RE: rlwindle)

    Don't be hard on yerseff, WINDY: It was simply a matter of time and you just folded first. Now I won't bother.
    "Long lasting batteries" Kind of utopic one thinks. Not so. I have a radio here that uses four "D" cells. It should use four, "AAA"s. Current draw is so low that the batteries rot before failing to provide sufficient current, leaving the battery compartment a green, unrepairable mess. Much like batteries in VOMs. For devices like this, I attach date tags to remind me to replace them.

  9. #9
    Registered User rlwindle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    343

    Default Re: I Bought it, but don't know what a Junghans German Anticlimatic clock is. (RE: Eckmill)

    Quote Originally Posted by Eckmill View Post
    The photos reveal a small white plastic box that at first glance appears to be a connector block. Inside is a switching transistor that controls the drive solenoid for the pendulum.
    Thanks for that info, I was wondering what the white plastic box was.
    -> posts merged by system <-
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottie-TX View Post
    Don't be hard on yerseff, WINDY: It was simply a matter of time and you just folded first. Now I won't bother.
    "Long lasting batteries" Kind of utopic one thinks. Not so. I have a radio here that uses four "D" cells. It should use four, "AAA"s. Current draw is so low that the batteries rot before failing to provide sufficient current, leaving the battery compartment a green, unrepairable mess. Much like batteries in VOMs. For devices like this, I attach date tags to remind me to replace them.

    Haven't been called "Windy" since high school, did you go to Woodrow Wilson HS in Dallas TX class of 69. BTW Happy Birthday today, yeah I looked.
    Last edited by rlwindle; 08-08-2011 at 06:19 PM.

Similar Threads

  1. Got this today don't know what it is
    By Tony10Clocks in forum Clocks General.
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-16-2012, 04:27 PM
  2. Nice Mantle clock but don't know what it is
    By darticus in forum Your Newest Clock Acquisition
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-30-2012, 12:26 PM
  3. I Acquired It, But I Don't Know What It Is...
    By mlcampbell in forum Your Newest Clock Acquisition
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 11-12-2009, 11:47 AM
  4. Just Bought It,But What Is It
    By coolyus in forum Your Newest Clock Acquisition
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-10-2009, 10:05 PM
  5. WELL!!! I Bought Another One.....and I don't know what it is!!!!!
    By jimbob2154 in forum American Pocket Watches
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 08-09-2004, 11:18 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •