Thread: What is this hairspring movement?

Registered user.

Red face What is this hairspring movement?

I just got this clock and enjoyed cleaning it and playing with the hairspring movement. I am curious about who made it. There is no makers mark on it, but the back of the clock (can?) has three patent dates on it. They are Oct 28, 1902, May 15, 1906, and Dec 15, 1908. The only marking I see on the movement itself is the letter "A" on the posts. I wondered if the mechanism was not originally from this clock, althought it fits in there perfectly, as does the dial and bezel. The clock case is 14w x 12h with a base depth of 5 inches. The opening for the mechanism is about 4 1/8 round. There are also small round patches on the top of the clock as though there was a decoration of some type. Does anyone have a clue on this?

This is my first post and hope I am doing this right.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	New clock july 30 001.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	91.0 KB 
ID:	98351

Name:	New clock july 30 003.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	155.7 KB 
ID:	98352

Name:	New clock july 30 004.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	157.4 KB 
ID:	98353

Default Re: What is this hairspring movement?

Hello Gage,

I do not know what company made the movement; I suspect it might be German. American clock movements typically have square or rectangular plates.

Use Google patent search and input those patent dates and see what patents pop up. You will probably have to look at possible 50 - 100 patents, because US patent office issued patents once a week. It is also possible the patents have nothing to do with the clock.

Since last patent date was 1908, it means clock or clock movement were manufactured after that date.

Hope more members offer suggestions.

Andy

Registered user.

When i search on google for clocks with these patent dates, I get westclox information. This clock, by the way, is time only.

Would a german made clock have patent dates?

Hello Gage,

It sounds like it is a Westclox movement.

There are several books published on Westclox products; I do not have any of them, so I not comment on their content. I know one Westclox collector and repair who found them very useful.

Companies sometimes file patents in multiple countries to establish their presence.

Andy Dervan

I have a Metamec clock with a 30 hour balance movement.I thought i read some place the movement was made by Westclox that is in it.Seemed odd as i think of Metamec as English made.
    Not sure if this is related to this clock in question but i just thought of it.
    One clock at a time. Kevin West
    http://www.global-horology.com/GHMB/

I have not seen this kind of escapment wheel with pallet lever. Can you provide a detailed photo of this design?

Cheers, Watchfixer

Quote Originally Posted by Veritas View Post
    I have a Metamec clock with a 30 hour balance movement.I thought i read some place the movement was made by Westclox that is in it.Seemed odd as i think of Metamec as English made.
    Not sure if this is related to this clock in question but i just thought of it.
    In their hay day, Westclox had factories in the USA, Canada, Scotland and here in Australia Kevin. Probably elsewhere as well.
    Cheers
    Peter R Lee: AKA (Pee-Tah) from Australia

Unfortunately, the two photos of the movement do not reveal the most important clue of Westclox; the die cast or pot-metal wheel hubs.

A side or oblique view would be more convincing than the tiny peeks of what appears to be white metal wheel hubs.

As a young clock destructer, <G> Westclox were our favorites because their long pivot wires went clear through the wheel hub. It was easy to reassemble the clock after first removing the long pivot wire; just hold the wheel-pinion in place and insert the long pivot wire through the upper plate, down through the wheel-pinion hub and out the lower plate. We never worried about the pivot wire getting loose.
    H.J. (Les) Lesovsky, Alhambra California

Registered user.

I am adding extra photos of the mechanism.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	clock mechanism 001.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	155.2 KB 
ID:	98512   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	clock mechanism 002.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	109.4 KB 
ID:	98513   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	clock mechanism 003.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	140.4 KB 
ID:	98514  

Gage;
    After reading this post, it looked very familiar to me, so ran back to my shop, and confirmed my suspicion. I have exactly the same movement as yours, identical in every aspect except for the solder bodge on the click spring. So, I would concur with Eckmill this is a Westclox as mine has the same potmetal shafts and fine pivot and lantern wire everywhere. Mine only has the date of 1 2 24 on it, no patent dates and identifier of manufacturer. And, by the way, I got this one to running by only adding nano-oil to it! I still plan to dis-assemble and clean it sometime, but it runs great right now as it is............................doc
    Exodus 31:6 "...and I have given to all able men ability, that they may make all that I have commanded you."

Indeed westclox.

But I really wanted to see the escapement wheel and pallet lever because this is not pin lever escapment. Can Doc_fields provide better pictures of these?

I used to go through so many westclox clocks in my youth.

Cheers, Watchfixer.

Quote Originally Posted by Watchfixer View Post
    Indeed westclox.

But I really wanted to see the escapement wheel and pallet lever because this is not pin lever escapment. Can Doc_fields provide better pictures of these?

I used to go through so many westclox clocks in my youth.

Cheers, Watchfixer.
    Here you are................

Name:	Westclox 001.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	73.8 KB 
ID:	98519   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Westclox 002.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	68.8 KB 
ID:	98520  
    Exodus 31:6 "...and I have given to all able men ability, that they may make all that I have commanded you."

Thanks!

Which clocks that have most largest balance wheel? Most I see usually is one inch diameter. One I had was bit larger than that.
    I talked to one seller who promised to deliver a movement that has a unusual balance wheel construction.

Well, on this westclox clock:
    Looked like pieces of lever retangular super hard steel pallets on a EW that really looked like from a jewel EW. How is this one kept banked?

I also have another waterbury clock movement that I need to clean up and repaired, it is not same as pin pallet or yours.

Cheers, Watchfixer

Watchfixer asks: "How is this one kept banked?"

No banking pins. Instead, the legs of a fork on the pallet arbor bank against the pot-metal hub of the escape wheel arbor. It, the fork is visible in the photos just behind the escape wheel.

Too, the verge pins appear to be very similar in shape to those devised by Brocot.
    Last edited by eskmill; 07-31-2011 at 09:05 PM. Reason: Add a word or two
    H.J. (Les) Lesovsky, Alhambra California

Hey Gage, these movements are usually dated on the bottom of the front plate but sometimes to the inside. That will be the date your clock was made IF it still has the original movement.

Name:	clock tech 055.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	66.4 KB 
ID:	99224   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	clock tech 056.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	102.5 KB 
ID:	99226   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	clock tech 052.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	90.6 KB 
ID:	99230  
    Gun control is the ability to hit the target.

http://rosewoodregulators.com/