Month's Goal: $300, Received: $325.00 - (109%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 588 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.

Default seth thomas grandfather clock

hello everyone I just picked up a seth thomas grandfather modle 4482 cable wind 3 chiams and i can not find any information on it on the internet. can anyone tell me anything about it or were i can go to find info i paid 500.00 fo it and it is like new condition was i wrong to buy it. I kniow that seth thomas stoped making grandfathers about 20 years ago so i think it is atleast that old Please help

Default Re: seth thomas grandfather clock (RE: Bernd)

Bernd: Welcome to the message board.

We would really like to see pictures of the grandfather clock so we can be of best help to you. The pictures often supplement your description and lead to other questions. So, if possible, pictures of case, dial, and movement would be helpfu,.

Forums Administrator harold bain's Avatar

Hi, bernd, welcome to the message board. We need some pictures, and also to know what is stamped on the back of the movement, to give you any information about your clock. The movement may be date coded. A strong light and a mirror might be needed to get at the back of the movement without taking it out of the clock.
    harold bain, Member ch 33
    "If it won't "tick",
    let me "tock" to it"

Default Re: seth thomas grandfather clock (RE: Steven Thornberry)

Thank you i will take some right now and try and post them

hi again to every one the movment says made in the usa thomastown usa A412-001 and the 8510 not able to get a pic of it but have a few of the case
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC01295.jpg   DSC01296.jpg  

Well, 8510 sounds like October 1985. Nice clock. I would be very surprised to see "made in USA" on a German made movement. The number of the movement doesn't show in my conversion chart.
    "If it won't "tick",
    let me "tock" to it"

Default Re: seth thomas grandfather clock (RE: harold bain)

good morning I check again and it says made in the usa attalley industries for thomaston usa and the number was the same A412-001 with the 8510 So im confused what do i have i understand the seth thomas numbers all start with A. I have the clock repair man coming today and will ask him a few Q and mabye he is taking out the movment if so i will get a photo and post it. the stike is stopping after only 8 or 9 hours got the clock from him and he got it from a elderly couple that we know they were the owners. He told me he knows why it is not running right and it is a simple fix so we will see.

the clock guy just finish up and I was wrong the number A415 not 412 sorry about that . can anyone tell me were i can get a value so i can insure it

Bernd, I suspect that it is not worth a special rider on your homeowner's insurance, which should cover it among your other possessions, etc.

Default Re: seth thomas grandfather clock (RE: Steven Thornberry)

The number 415-001 translates to a Hermle 1161.853 HS.114. It's a German made movement. I agree with Steven, not many modern era grandfather clocks are worth enough to require separate insurance. You could check with any clock shop that sells new clocks to get a rough idea of replacement cost, then run that by your insurance man.
    Or, look on the internet for Howard Miller dealers, and then look for a cable wind, triple chime movement grandfather clock for similar features to what yours has.
    "If it won't "tick",
    let me "tock" to it"

Quote Originally Posted by harold bain View Post
    The number 415-001 translates to a Hermle 1161.853 HS.114. It's a German made movement. I agree with Steven, not many modern era grandfather clocks are worth enough to require separate insurance. You could check with any clock shop that sells new clocks to get a rough idea of replacement cost, then run that by your insurance man.
    Or, look on the internet for Howard Miller dealers, and then look for a cable wind, triple chime movement grandfather clock for similar features to what yours has.
    I have a Seth Thomas grandfather clock which was my mothers that recently passed and I am trying to figure out how old and worth. It looks identical to the pictures posted in this thread 8210 is on the movement. Any help is appreciated. Thank you
    Last edited by scott81112; 04-03-2012 at 08:53 PM. Reason: Misspelled

Default Re: seth thomas grandfather clock (RE: scott81112)

Hi, Scott, welcome to the message board. Your clock was made in October 1982. Our rules don't allow for valuations, so can't help you there. Check ebay for similar clocks. However, as a family heirloom, it is priceless.
    "If it won't "tick",
    let me "tock" to it"

Good Morning: I recently purhased a used Seth Thomas Grandfather clock, I Would like to know where I would find the date of it. The lady I purchased it from did not have any paperwork on it. Thank You

Default Re: seth thomas grandfather clock (RE: kcecchine2012@gmail)

Hi, kcecchine, welcome to the message board. We need to see some pictures of what you have, including the movement, to give you any dating help. Clocks made by (or labelled) Seth Thomas were made over a period of almost 200 years.
    "If it won't "tick",
    let me "tock" to it"

I not sure how many folks are in on this thread with similar clocks? But, the clocks you have fall into a very large group of clocks called 'modern'. They are pleasing to look at and some have very nice mill-work (well made). However they are actually worth very little except for sentimental value, as already mentioned by Harold. Insurance companies will probably write you a rider but the clock is probably already insured in the 'contents' section of your homeowners policy. If you rent an apartment, a few hundred bucks will probably fit inside your 'contents' policy. If you don't have any insurance, you are saving enough every few months to buy another similar clock.

So, the good news is that your clock is probably already insured. Bad news is that Hermle movements last only about 25 years, so all of your clocks are due to have the movement replaced. Just funnel that money you were expecting to pay a to 'Da Man' to the dirt poor local clock repair guy!

Willie X