Month's Goal: $300, Received: $240.00 - (80%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 3782 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.

Default Getting The Most Out Of An Elgin Serial Number Lookup Data Base

A previous discussion, over whether or not an Elgin for sale on an internet auction really was a old ref::Lord Elgin Grade Or Not, just resurfaced.

As I entered the number in the "Serial Number Lookup" on Wayne Schlitt's Elgin website (www.midwestcs.com/elgin/ - you should copy this address and paste it in your browser address bar), I added the few additional characters that Wayne had once told me about and suddenly realized that most people are unaware of the feature (it isn't well described).

So, when looking up a serial number, after typing (keyboarding - whatever) the serial number in the Serial Number off the movement: field, add a space and type v=13 and then click on the Search button. This will cause the program to report notes on all of the observations of examples that were reported to Wayne (or that he noted) when the data was entered. In the instance of the Lord Elgin recently discussed, if another "Lord Elgin" signed movement from that run or grade had been noted by Wayne, it would have showed up in the notes when the serial number and v=13 were entered.

Kent
    Kent
    That guy down in Georgia

Default Getting The Most Out Of An Elgin Serial Number Lookup Data Base (RE: Kent)

A previous discussion, over whether or not an Elgin for sale on an internet auction really was a old ref::Lord Elgin Grade Or Not, just resurfaced.

As I entered the number in the "Serial Number Lookup" on Wayne Schlitt's Elgin website (www.midwestcs.com/elgin/ - you should copy this address and paste it in your browser address bar), I added the few additional characters that Wayne had once told me about and suddenly realized that most people are unaware of the feature (it isn't well described).

So, when looking up a serial number, after typing (keyboarding - whatever) the serial number in the Serial Number off the movement: field, add a space and type v=13 and then click on the Search button. This will cause the program to report notes on all of the observations of examples that were reported to Wayne (or that he noted) when the data was entered. In the instance of the Lord Elgin recently discussed, if another "Lord Elgin" signed movement from that run or grade had been noted by Wayne, it would have showed up in the notes when the serial number and v=13 were entered.

Kent
    Kent
    That guy down in Georgia

Registered user.

Default Getting The Most Out Of An Elgin Serial Number Lookup Data Base (RE: Kent)

That is a real neat, if undocumented feature for sure.
    Henry Burgell
    Chapters 149, 15

Henry:

It isn't "undocumented" its just not all that obvious. You can find it listed by clicking on "Search Options" several lines below the "Serial Number off the movement:" field. Its shown on the "Elgin Database Search Options" page that opens up, down at the bottom of a whole series of options.

Now that people know that all these options exist, perhaps they'll try some to see what can be achieved with searches.

Kent
    Kent
    That guy down in Georgia

Kent,
    This is fantastic! I have been using this site for a LONG time and didn't know that was there, and I have read the ENTIRE site. I must have missed it, or was new when I read it, and didn't "Get it" back then.
    Great piece of information!

Thank you!