Month's Goal: $300, Received: $110.00 - (37%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 1115 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.

Default Emil schmeckenbecher cuckoo clock

Working on a 40's cuckoo clock and ran into a setup that i am not familiar with.

Its a emil schmeckenbecher cuckoo clock #215.

Instead of a standard pendulum hanger hanging from the wire and loop, this clock has a suspension spring where apparently a pendulum rod attaches(which is missing).

The verge is also different in that it has a compression fit for adjusting the beat.

Is anyone familiar with this type of cuckoo clock and where i can find the proper pendulum rod to attach to the suspension spring.

I may be using the wrong terms since this type of cuckoo is new to me.

Thanks, bob

Default Re: Emil schmeckenbecher cuckoo clock (RE: BOBJAYR)

I understand your terms and your problem. Alas I've never seen a setup like this and unless others have, a picture or three will be an IMMENSE help in helping you. Can I assume at present you have no pendulum?

Default Re: Emil schmeckenbecher cuckoo clock (RE: Scottie-TX)

Here's a thread that shows another type of movement by the same company. Is the set-up similar?

Default Re: Emil schmeckenbecher cuckoo clock (RE: shutterbug)

Thanks to you scottie and shutterbug for your replies.

I'll take some photos and send them showing the setup. And yes i do not have the pendulum with the clock either.

Its a very old clock that a person wants restored but its missing a lot of items, back door, cuckoo door, pendulum etc.

The only real problem i've having is the one i described to you.

Shutterbug: I could not find the info you mentioned. I went to your tread and it did not bring up the movement you mentioned.

The last time i tried to attach photos i had a problems doing so. Is there a secret to doing it with the nawcc system. With regular e-mail i have no problems.

Thanks again for your help.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by BOBJAYR View Post
    Shutterbug: I could not find the info you mentioned. I went to your tread and it did not bring up the movement you mentioned.

The last time i tried to attach photos i had a problems doing so. Is there a secret to doing it with the nawcc system. With regular e-mail i have no problems.

Thanks again for your help.

Bob
    Hmmm. Post #3 shows four pictures with I open it from the link I posted. To post one here, after typing a message, scroll down. You'll find a 'Manage Attachments' link. Click on that, and from the TOP BOX browse for your pic and upload it. If it fails, resize the photo 25% smaller and try again. You can do multiple photos, one at a time. Try this link

Scottie and shutterbug:

Here are some photos. Shutterbug, i did get your last photo and the verge is similar to mine. Also thanks for the way to upload photos. Hopefully they are attached.

Thanks again to you two for your help.

Bob
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CIMG2513.jpg   CIMG2514.jpg   CIMG2516.jpg  

Wow, I don't see a hanger that will just fit on that. If it were me, I'd order Timesavers #18734, remove the extra piece, probably flip it upside down and cut a slot in it for your crutch to go through. You'll want it fairly tight at the crutch, but not enough to bind. You may have to be inventive on the other end to devise a way to hang the pendulum. I once cut a square in a 3/4" square piece of brass to make it look like a picture frame. The pendulum hung from it just fine.

What you need for a leader is:
    A. a double hook on the top to grab the suspension spring
    B. a rectangular hole an appropriate distance further down, for the crutch, and
    C. a hook of some kind on the bottom to hang a pendulum on..

Since you don't know what the original looked like, just fabricate something that fits those conditions, then trial-and-error the pendulum for it.

bangster
    1. Check out the REPAIR HINTS & HOW-TO's forum! Click Here.

Default Re: Emil schmeckenbecher cuckoo clock (RE: bangster)

The slot in your pendulum leader will be TEE shaped to accomodate the shoulder at the distal end of the crutch. Then the slot itself will be very close to the dia - width of the crutch where it is thin. Attaching the pendulum can be your choice unless you want it to look original which I don't know what that was.

Not sure it would have to be. A slot should work, and the hanger could be turned 90° to fit on. You might have to be a little wider at one end to turn it though

Yeah. I see that. Just wasn't thinking it thoroughly.

You guys are great. I really appreciate all your inputs. Believe I now have the info I need to do the job.

Thanks to you all again, Bob