Month's Goal: $300, Received: $350.00 - (117%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 419 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Default Smiths-Enfield clock

I have a Smiths Enfield clock in for repair. Could someone give me some information on this company, please?

The inside of the case, underneath the movement, is a painted date of "2 May, 1950" which looks authentic to the manufacturer. It has a large "Smiths Enfield" (the "Smiths" is above the "Enfield" engraved on the back plate. Underneath that is engraved: "Made in Great Britain". Below that is: "by the Enfield Clock Co. Ltd."

Any info that can be provided would be very much appreciated.

RobertG

Registered user.

Default Smiths-Enfield clock (RE: RobertG)

Hi Robert
    There is probably much information to find on the web, but the Enfield Clock company was started by two German brothers in Enfield, North London, in the early 20c.
    They were subsequently taken over by Smiths in the 1930s (?) and continued to use the 'Enfield' brand name
    Mike - banned member of the throwaway society.

Jim Edgar

The "Smiths" printed on your clockface is the operative name. Smiths started clock manufacture in 1931 and absorbed Enfield in 1933 after only 3+ years of Enfield's existance, yet continued to sell clocks under the Enfield name for another 17 years. The distinctive difference between the Smiths and Enfield movements was the arming and stop mechanism of the hour chime. The slot in the Enfield lifting cam serves to stop the chime train itself while an extra tab on the chime release lever on the Smiths movement catches a pin on the last wheel of the chime train to stop it. This preserves the bushing for the lift cam pivot from wearing out. This is a primary wear point on the Enfield movement, but never worn on the Smiths mechanism.

Smiths' heyday was in the 50's oddly enough, as can be seen in the definitive book "Smiths Domestic Clocks" by Barrie Smith (Pierhead Publicatitons Limited). The 'Nevill' model my wife and I found on honeymoon in Ontario, Canada in 1982 was manufactured in 1953, not earlier as its styling seems to suggest. Not to discourage, but the author of the book writes "...in times gone by [clock repairers] tended to dismiss them as rubbish."

You will see that the Smiths-Enfield movement lacks the refined delicacy of a Hermle movement, though it is not as coarse as a typical american clock movement. The components are not quite as fine as Hermle's. It ticks more loudly and makes a bit more mechanical noise when chiming. The bushing holes in your clock's winding barrels will likely have to be replaced because there are very few spares, if any. Otherwise you will find the movement straight forward and easy to work on.

'Smiths' seems to be to mantle clocks what 'Elgin' is to pocket watches. Practical, nicely built, numerous, and looked down upon in some circles. Yet they keep good time and are delightful to hear ticking on a quiet afternoon at home.

Jim Edgar

Enfield was started by Carl Schatz in 1929 who brought both machinery and workers over from Germany to establish the company. As Jim says Barrie Smith's book is the best work on Smiths clocks, it is still available and his site below has a lot of info on the company. Hope this helps.
    http://www.smiths-clocks.co.uk/
    Jonathan.

Blog Entries

I have 2 mantle clocks, one is Marked Enfield, and the other is Smiths.I like the Smiths better.It has nice work on the brass plates and plays westminster.As the Enfield is a gong only.To me, Smiths has always meant quality to me.As a side note i have a 17 jewel wrist watch which keeps great time.
    One clock at a time. Kevin West
    http://www.global-horology.com/GHMB/

Blog Entries

Wow! To see this pop-up after 2 years is amazing.

Thank you everyone for the info and reference for more research. I will pass this along to the owner of the clock.

RobertG

Registered user.

Originally posted by veritas:
    I have 2 mantle clocks, one is Marked Enfield, and the other is Smiths.I like the Smiths better.It has nice work on the brass plates and plays westminster.As the Enfield is a gong only.To me, Smiths has always meant quality to me.As a side note i have a 17 jewel wrist watch which keeps great time.
    I would call both Smiths and per-Smiths Enfield "mid range" A bit like Fords or Vauxhalls. When Smiths bought Enfield, the separate designs were kept for years.
    Both had 2-train and 3-train movements, spring/weight/mains electric, and a few timepiece-only ones.
    As far as these Napoleons go, the top quality ones were Elliott and Garrard, and the early Hallers.

Blog Entries

Hi Mike.I really like the look of this clock.I would say this clock is 1950,s as i saw one verry much like it, which was brought over from England.In the 1n 1956 it sold for just over 10 pounds.
    Anyways i love the work done on the plates and the front of the clock is very apealing to me.
    I paid 30 can for this clock and thought it was very good.

I do have a Garrand movement, i think it is mostly there.I may try repairing it some day.

Registered user.

Hi Veritas
    Very nice. I would say early post-WW2 as well - nut for minute hand and underslung hammers.

Registered user.

Smile Re: Smiths-Enfield clock (RE: Mike Phelan)

I just found a Smiths with this movment. Not running of corse. I have be looking for a parts,or a service manual but can't seem to find anything. Can anyone help please. thank you

Blog Entries

Default Re: Smiths-Enfield clock (RE: kjun)

Hi Kjun, i doubt you will find a service manual or parts listing for these clocks.they are almost 60 years old.

Registered user.

Default Re: Smiths-Enfield clock (RE: kjun)

Hi
    You won't find a service manual, and it's unlikely one was ever printed for general release.

What parts does it need? Are there parts missing? The springs might need replacing as the outside holes tear and the springs become 'tired'.

Usually, all they need is a clean.

Default Re: Smiths-Enfield clock (RE: Mike Phelan)

I am looking at a Smiths Enfield now at a pretty decent price. My objective is to learn more about clock mechanisms so I might sacrfice the clock to my curiosity as it does not seem to be worth very much from my research on this particular clock.

Ron

Blog Entries

Default Re: Smiths-Enfield clock (RE: Rockin Ronnie)

Is it a two train or three.
    They are well built clocks, especially the older ones.
    As for sacrifice what did you mean by that.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Smiths-Enfield clock (RE: Rockin Ronnie)

If all you are after is a clock movement to practice on there are plenty around and quite possibly someone may donate one if you asked.