Month's Goal: $300, Received: $35.00 - (12%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 1176 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Cuckoo Clock continuously cuckooing

I have an old German cuckoo clock that cuckoos and plays music on the hour - and it cuckoos once on the half hour (no music on the half hour).

It has been working as it should for the past six months. Today I pulled up the chains, as I normally do to wind the clock. When I pulled up the chain for the cuckoo the clock started to cuckoo continuously. I stopped the cuckooing by moving the minute hand forward a slight bit.

I then started the clock, it ran normally until it reached 25 minutes past the hour when the clock started to cuckoo continuously. When I moved the minute hand to 30 minutes past the hour, it cuckooed once and then stopped as it should. The clock also cuckoos continuously at 55 minutes past the hour. I notice when I move the minute hand to the hour, it cuckoos the correct number of times and plays the music as it should.

Basically, it now seems my cuckoo clock is cuckooing continuously 25 and 55 minutes past the hour (when it shouldn't be cuckooing), but it also cuckoos correctly on the hour and the half hour.

I am a novice at clock repair, this is a cuckoo clock for my mom that my dad gave her 25 years ago and I would like to see if I can fix it myself. There are no local clock repair places where I live.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Forums Administrator harold bain's Avatar

Default Re: Cuckoo Clock continuously cuckooing (RE: peeb)

Hi, peeb, welcome to the message board. If the clock is 25 years old, probably your best cure is a new movement. Any stampings on the movement to identify it?
    harold bain, Member ch 33
    "If it won't "tick",
    let me "tock" to it"

Default Re: Cuckoo Clock continuously cuckooing (RE: harold bain)

Yeah - sounds like it's missing the stop pin on warn. As it sets up for the strike, that would hold it until the 30 or 60 minute mark. If it got sheared off some how, it can't arrest the strike like it should.

Default Re: Cuckoo Clock continuously cuckooing (RE: shutterbug)

Thanks Shutterbug. Where would I find "stop pin on warn" inside the clock? I have the back and dial off so I can see the gears from both sides.
    -> posts merged by system <-
    Thanks Harold. I don't know how old the clock is, I know my father purchased it in 1986 from a small clock shop and there is no date on the clock.

When you speak of "the movement" is that all the gears inside the clock?

These are the only markings I can make out on the gears:

G.M.ANGEM
    E.SCWMECKENBECWER (? I can't really make out this word on the clock)
    MADE IN GERMANY

Default Re: Cuckoo Clock continuously cuckooing (RE: peeb)

Quote Originally Posted by peeb View Post
    Where would I find "stop pin on warn" inside the clock?
    Probably would be on the wheel right under the fan. Check to see if you can see a pin, or where one was.
    Typically though, the same pin would arrest the train after the strike, and hold it until the next warn. Without it, I'm not sure the train would stop even when moving the hand, and yours seems to.

Welcome to the message board, Peeb.

A cuckoo isn't the easiest clock to start with, but that's what you have.

You can't do anything to fix your problem until you take the movement out of the house. The movement, also called the "works", is the unit with all the gears in it. Here's how you remove it.

1. Remove the weights, pendulum, and hands.
    2. Unhook the wire that the bird uses to push the door open.
    3. Remove the hooks and rings from the ends of the chains. (Open links to do it.)
    4. Remove the back panel.
    5. Remove the two bellows lifting wires. Remember which wire goes to which bellows and which lever. To unhook the wires from the lifting levers, don't bend the wires; pry open the eyelets on the end of the levers. When you put things back together, you'll squeeze the eyelets shut with pliers.
    5. Remove the right hand bellows. It should be held on with a screw and a nail. If it's (ugh!) glued, pry it off the side of the house.
    6. Remove the four mounting screws that attach the movement to the front of the house.
    7. Lift the movement out of the house. You'll have to wiggle it around to get the cuckoo bird out through the back, and to get the end of the pendulum leader out of the floor.
    8. Pull the chains out of the holes in the floor of the house.
    9. Set the house aside. Now you can see what you're doing.

Looking at the top of the movement, you'll see the fan fly: a flat brass thing that spins. The wheel next to the fan (gears are called "wheels") is the warning wheel. It should have a small pin sticking out at right angles near its perimeter. That's the warning pin.

When the clock is getting ready to strike (=cuckoo) near the hour and half-hour, it "goes into warning": A lever unlocks the gear train and gets it ready to run. The warning wheel makes a half-turn, and the warning pin stops against a projection from a lever. When the clock is finally ready to strike, that lever drops out of the way, and the gear train runs for the proper number of coo-coos.

YOUR clock malfunctions in two ways: when it goes into warning, the pin doesn't hit the projection to stop the train, so the train runs; AND when the train runs, it doesn't stop after the proper number of coo-coos; it runs until the weight hits the floor.

That's what we know so far. Now let us folks up here at this end try to figure out what might cause the malfunctions.

bangster
    1. Check out the REPAIR HINTS & HOW-TO's forum! Click Here.

Registered user.

Hi
    Usually the dial can be removed ( after removing the hands )
    and you can then see how the cuckoo is driven( I'm assuming
    it is the type with a snail shaped cam attached to the hour
    canon.
    Usually there is a nut and some washers to hold the minute
    hand on and the hour hand is pressed on.
    The dial usually has 3 small nails holding it. Usually some gentle
    prying around the dial near the nails wil release them.
    With it off, take a picture and we can then point out where
    things are.
    You may stil need to remove the movement from the clock
    to repair but diagnosing is what it needs first.
    Tinker Dwight

Default Re: Cuckoo Clock continuously cuckooing (RE: Tinker Dwight)

Here's a couple of pics that will help with naming parts.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cuckoo rack & snail.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	166.6 KB 
ID:	94587 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cuckoo strike.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	158.1 KB 
ID:	94588

...but let's don't give ol' Peeb too much information overload about the strike sequence all at once. Remember...he's just beginnin' and we ain't.

bangster

Default Re: Cuckoo Clock continuously cuckooing (RE: bangster)

Peeb, ignore this. (Shop talk among us.)

Here's one proposal, for starters:

Either the lobes on the lifting cam, or the boss on the lifting piece are worn, so that the rack hook doesn't get a full lift. the result is

a. the warning detent on the rack hook doesn't go high enough to catch the warning pin, but
    b. the rack hook does go high enough to release the rack and let the train run, and
    c. the rack hook is kept out of the way, so it's never able to stop the train, and
    d. when the hands are advanced, the lifting piece drops off the cam lobe, letting the rack hook back into play.

How's that sound to y'all?

bangster

Registered user.

Hi
    The rack hook seems to be working right. It sound like
    the end of the lifting lever is not catching the warning
    pin on warning. Cause
    The fact that it starts at 5 minutes is also an indicator.
    It should already finish warning and the warning pin should
    be sitting on the end of the lifting lever.
    I suspect it is catching for some time but as the cam
    lifts the lifting lever more, the warning pin slips under
    the lifting levers stop.
    This could be that it was always on edge and has finally
    pounded the edge enough to let the pin slide off.
    Or, the warning pin is either bent or warn off enough
    to slip under the end of the lifting levers stop.
    Tinker Dwight

If the rack hook were working right, it would be catching the rack as the GP lifts it, and the strike wouldn't run forever. The rack hook has to be failing to catch the rack. And the warning detent is on the rack hook, not on the lifting lever.

Something has to be keeping the warning pin from hitting the warning detent AND keeping the rack hook away from the rack. Sure sounds to me like something with the center-shaft lifting cam.

At warning, the rack doesn't work right. When the hands are advanced, it does. What change does advancing the hands make?
    Well, it advances the lifting cam further until the lifting piece falls off the cam lobe.

bangster

Hey Peeb, try this...

Advance the minute hand carefully toward the point where things are about to let go and run forever. THE INSTANT it lets go, advance the minute hand just a teeny bit...maybe a minute (on the dial) or less, and see what happens. If it coo-coos a few more times and stops, let the clock run and see if it gives you a normal coo-coo when it gets to the hour (or half-hour).

You can repeat the experiment, and see HOW MUCH you have to advance the minute hand in order to arrest the wild run.

Let us know.

bangster
    Last edited by bangster; 06-11-2011 at 09:01 PM.

Registered user.

Quote Originally Posted by bangster View Post
    If the rack hook were working right, it would be catching the rack as the GP lifts it, and the strike wouldn't run forever. The rack hook has to be failing to catch the rack. And the warning detent is on the rack hook, not on the lifting lever.

Something has to be keeping the warning pin from hitting the warning detent AND keeping the rack hook away from the rack. Sure sounds to me like something with the center-shaft lifting cam.

At warning, the rack doesn't work right. When the hands are advanced, it does. What change does advancing the hands make?
    Well, it advances the lifting cam further until the lifting piece falls off the cam lobe.

bangster
    Hi Bang
    I had to look at my clock again but I was right. The pin stops
    on the rack hook until the warning starts, at about
    10 minutes to the hour.
    The warning wheel rotates about 1/2 turn until it stops
    against the end of the lifting lever.
    It waits there until the lifting lever falls off the cam.
    The fact that it stops just after the hour means that the
    stop on the rack hook is working right.
    The fact that it is happening at 5 mins before seems odd.
    The warning usually happen a little earlier at about 10
    minutes before the strike.
    This would indicate that the warning pin is stopping
    on the end of the lifting lever but as the lifting lever
    continues to lift the rack, it falls of the edge of that
    stop and the cuckoo sounds until the lever falls and
    the gathering pallet resets the rack, letting the
    rack hook fall, stopping the warning pin.

Looking at my movement, in hand, I'm trying to understand
    what could have failed. The stop on the end of the lifting
    lever is really large. It is unlikely to have the pin miss
    unless it has broken off.
    Looking at things, it is possible that the warning pin
    has partially snapped off. The rack hook stop is catching
    the stub but the lifting lever end is missing.
    So, I see two possibles. Stop broken of the lifting
    lever or partially broken warning pin.
    Tinker Dwight

Thanks all for your help with this problem.

I haven't had time to respond to this board or look at the clock because yesterday my computer crashed (because of the dreaded Windows Vista Recovery virus) and I spent all day reinstalling Windows and also partitioning the drive so I now use Linux Ubuntu for the internet instead of Windows (to help stave off any future viruses, I hope).

I am going to take a look at the clock tonight, with your suggestions and pictures and try to determine what has failed, or at least give you more information regarding the innards of the clock. Maybe I will try to take some pics of the innards and see if I can attach the pics to my messages on this board.

Thanks again.

I'll concede about the location of the warning detent; had it swapped with the strike detent.

But wherever the warning detent is located, I'm not convinced I'm wrong about the rest. Still sounds (to me) like incomplete warning lift: enuf to release the rack hook & drop the rack, not enuf to catch the warning pin.

So I'm gonna stick with that one, pending further developments. If Peeb tries my experiment, it'll tell us something.

bangster