Month's Goal: $300, Received: $390.00 - (130%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 1306 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.

Thread: 1967 Bulova

Registered user.

Default 1967 Bulova

I purchased this Bulova on ebay. It is in great shape, and has been running perfectly. I wound it fully on Monday, and it was still going great when I checked it Wednesday night. The only issue is that the works seems loose in the case. When I flip it upside down I can feel it "thunk" inside. It says waterproof on the face, so I am wondering if there is supposed to be a gasket inside (there isn't right now). Maybe this is what keeps the works from moving?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bulova.jpg  

Blog Entries

Default Re: 1967 Bulova (RE: Drb007)

DRB if you post a clear picture of the movement perhaps someone can help you.I really like the Bulova watches from that era as well, very stylish.
    One clock at a time. Kevin West
    http://www.global-horology.com/GHMB/

Default Re: 1967 Bulova (RE: Drb007)

Nice watch -- I have several. There are a couple reasons for a "clunk" in these watchs.

First, the movement can indeed be loose in the case from a missing locator ring, left out when the watch was serviced (or opened for some other reason). That style case usually has a stamped back that is held against a sealing gasket by a threaded ring.

Second, it may be an automatic (usually will have "selfwinding" or "automatic" in the dial, but not always), in which case the weight axle bearing can be worn, allowing the weight to clunk as the watch is inverted.

Easy to tell -- if the movement ring is missing, you can move the dial around with the stem.

I'd suspect an automatic if the watch is staying running for extended periods while being worn -- typically this type of watch has around 40 hours reserve time, meaning it will run for about 40 hours on a single wind. Some are 50 hours, but without knowing the ID of the movement, it's impossible to tell.

Bulova made wonderful watches in those years, very high quality. The only real problem I've personally seen with them, short of abuse, is that the gold fill wears off and the cases corrode badly on the back side. Movements are usually in very good shape, only needing a cleaning to restore them to like new condition.

Peter