Month's Goal: $300, Received: $35.00 - (12%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 1198 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.

Post Trying to Identify my clock by trademark logo

I have a regulator pendulum wind up clock. Sorry if that is not right, I do not know really anything about this stuff. It appears to be hand made due to the imperfections, but there is no name on it. I opened the clock up, and on the "gears" mechanism there is a loge and 3 digit number. The Logo consists of 2 circles ( one inside the other) and then a triangle inside of the circles, and letters that look like "s" and "h". It also has the coil gong, no chimes or bells. Does anyone know who the make could be? You can go to the link below to see pictures of the clock and also the logo. Thank you!!!

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...2363.628920117
    Last edited by Ramanda62; 05-22-2011 at 05:46 PM. Reason: Added link

Blog Entries

Default Re: Trying to Identify my clock by trademark logo (RE: Ramanda62)

Hello Ramanda, can you post some pictures, it may help id your clock.
    One clock at a time. Kevin West
    http://www.global-horology.com/GHMB/

I have a movement with that logo on the front. It is marked NAM YOUNG, KOREA, on the back. Other threads have dealt with this maker. Try
    http://mb.nawcc.org/showthread.php?t...ight=Nam+Young
    One mentions Sam Heung, Inchon Korea as another Korean company also using this label.
    With Korea along with Japan basing their written language on the Chinese characters it is not much of a stretch to see both spellings as a phonetic translations of the same name!
    The movement is the arched Ansonia style.
    Last edited by Charles E. Davis; 05-22-2011 at 06:09 PM. Reason: Insert url and add Sam Heung
    Charlie Davis, La Verne, CA
    http://www.JapaneseClockLogos.com

Default Re: Trying to Identify my clock by trademark logo (RE: Charles E. Davis)

I can't seem to find any information on either names associated with the trademark. Does anyone have any info? The time frame they were made? Anything?

Welcome to the world of oriental clock manufacture. There are more questions than answers and I have been looking for information on Japanese makers for almost 40 years. Along the way a smattering of Chinese and Korean companies has surfaced but I havenít been going after info about them since there is plenty of activity just with the Japanese.
    Language has been a big problem since very little attention has been paid to them by anybody that I have seen outside of a couple of Japanese web sites. Of course they will not help about Korean.
    Charlie Davis, La Verne, CA
    http://www.JapaneseClockLogos.com

Default Re: Trying to Identify my clock by trademark logo (RE: Charles E. Davis)

I seem to recall that Nam Young was active in the 1960's and 1970's. They often made reproductions of earlier clocks made by American mfrs. and at least some of their movements were copies of Ansonia's archtop movement, as Charles Davis mentioned. I once owned one and thought the movement of decent quality compared to the 31-day movement, which often gets raspberries from collectors, whether rightly or wrongly, I won't say. In any event, we may be able to help you more of you directly attach pictures of case and movement. Your facebook link is broken.
    Last edited by Steven Thornberry; 05-23-2011 at 05:34 AM. Reason: spelling

Default Re: Trying to Identify my clock by trademark logo (RE: Steven Thornberry)

Here are some pictures of the clock. Thank you everyone for all of your help!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Nam Young Trademark.jpg   Wall clock base.jpg   Wall clock face.jpg   wall clock ledge.jpg   Wall Clock.jpg  

Nam young movement.jpg  

Hours of searching, and still nothing!!! I am so curious about this clcok, but can't seem to find anything about it....

Many of these things are difficult to pin down. Your movement is as Charles described, and Ansonia-style arched movement. Yours also has the same logo. The case, which is IMO over ornate, is oriental, of a style similar to others I have seen. There appears to be quite a lot of wood surround around the dial itself. The general style of the clock case to my mind recalls to some degree the style of case found Anglo-American clocks which were made from the 1800's to the early 1900's, and which had American movements in British-made cases. It also incorporates features of some long-drop wall clocks. Possibly made in the 1970's, and possibly earlier, I suppose.

Default Re: Trying to Identify my clock by trademark logo (RE: Steven Thornberry)

I have seen quite a few of these. They were sold by S. LaRose and were still being sold when LaRose went out of business. Steven's time frame is probably as close as one can get.

Best,

Richard T.