Month's Goal: $300, Received: $390.00 - (130%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 1316 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.

Default Cuckoo Clock Repair

I recently purchased a cuckoo clock , which I believe is 35 years old. The clock's movements were manufactured in West Germany, and the back of the movement is engraved with A25-83; GM 1884288 & 1892176. The name of the manufacturer is not provided. My problem with the clock is that when its hung on the wall the three weights free fall to the floor. Can you tell me whether the clock is fixable, and is a fix that I can do myself? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Stoneycreek

Registered user.

Default Re: Cuckoo Clock Repair (RE: Stoneycreek)

Hi
    It sounds like there is enough broken that a replacement
    movement is the way to go, unless you have a scrap
    movement to remove parts from.
    It sounds like broken chain wheels but without having the
    clocks in hand I couldn't say for sure.
    It is unusual for both to be broken. I may be that the last
    person just didn't rethread the chains right.
    Pictures of the movement always help.
    Tinker dwight

Default Re: Cuckoo Clock Repair (RE: Tinker Dwight)

Hello, Just a thought. Someone hasn't put string or gut instead of a chain. ( you never know what people do, Like putting fishing line on a anniversary clock )
    Tony

Forums Administrator harold bain's Avatar

Default Re: Cuckoo Clock Repair (RE: Tony10Clocks)

Hi, Stoneycreek welcome to the message board. The "A" prefix on the movement dates it to either 1970 or 1990. It is a Regula movement with those numbers. Being a three weight clock makes it somewhat complicated for a beginner to start on, if you don't have a basic clock repair knowledge. Whether you can do it yourself will depend on how much time you have to learn clock repair, and how much mechanical aptitiude you have.
    harold bain, Member ch 33
    "If it won't "tick",
    let me "tock" to it"

Default Re: Cuckoo Clock Repair (RE: harold bain)

Look first to see whether chains are nested over cogs on chainwheels. It may need further service but is possible that clock was upended and chains fell off chainwheels.

Default Re: Cuckoo Clock Repair (RE: Scottie-TX)

Quote Originally Posted by Scottie-TX View Post
    Look first to see whether chains are nested over cogs on chainwheels. It may need further service but is possible that clock was upended and chains fell off chainwheels.
    Yep. First place to look is to see if the chains are over the chainwheel sprockets, or just draped over the axles. If the latter, worry the chains back up onto the sprockets and it should work.

If the chainwheels are bad and don't hold the chains, you can get replacement chainwheels from Timesavers for $7 apiece. But you need to take the movement apart to install them. We can help you with that.

bangster
    1. Check out the REPAIR HINTS & HOW-TO's forum! Click Here.

Default Re: Cuckoo Clock Repair (RE: Stoneycreek)

Hi: I read your messages and appreciate your comments. I've also looked at the clock, but before I go any further I'm in the process of obtaining two clock manuals. It'll take a couple of weeks before I receive the books and review them. After I review the books, I'll take a second look at the clock and hopefully with some help I can repair it. If not, I'll have to purchase a new movement and musical box.

thanks, again