Goal: $300, Received: $115.00 (38%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910

Default Re: This is how I intend to develop my second version..............

Hi Everyone,

I moved things around in my shop today to make some room.

So, I decided to take these photos to show how I will be mounting my next generation movement for testing and completion. Only once I have everything as I want it, I will build the case. Until then I will be making a polycarbonate box that will be mounted first. Anything I happen to be testing will be inside of it.

First these studs are tightened about 1 1/8 inch deep:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_2034a.JPG 
Views:	6 
Size:	130.4 KB 
ID:	338348

The other large stud pattern is for the day I intend to play with an upside down movement and eliminate the bridge for the escape wheel. The two smaller holes are for my current clock already viewed.

Next, the cast iron mount:

Name:	DSC_2035a.JPG 
Views:	5 
Size:	153.9 KB 
ID:	338349

Then the movement:

Name:	DSC_2036a.JPG 
Views:	8 
Size:	161.8 KB 
ID:	338350

These bosses will go through whatever test box or cabinet I use so the movement is solidly bolted to the stand and wall eventually:

Name:	DSC_2037a.JPG 
Views:	8 
Size:	146.5 KB 
ID:	338351

Just another view - I like this side best:

Name:	DSC_2038a.JPG 
Views:	10 
Size:	145.6 KB 
ID:	338352

We live in a VERY dusty area. Keeping it out is why I first thought about some type of enclosure. The plastic box will also be used for vacuum testing at times. I would prefer glass, but it is too dangerous w/high vacuums.
    "To invent you need a good imagination and a pile of junk." - Thomas Edison
    Best wishes to Ya'll. Sincerely, Jim

Forums Administrator harold bain's Avatar

Default Re: In case any are interested.............. (By: jhe.1973)

Quote Originally Posted by jhe.1973 View Post
    Shucks, I meant to weigh the clock when we got back and I forgot. Really, honest!

It's now back on the wall so it will have to wait.

The stand alone weighs 108 pounds, the pendulum 28 (IIRC) driving weight is 6, so I will guess total is in the ballpark of 200 pounds.
    So, when you transport it, is the case and the stand taken as two separate items, or is the case attached to the stand for moving? I guess it is a two man job, regardless.
    harold bain, Member ch 33
    "If it won't "tick",
    let me "tock" to it"

Default Re: In case any are interested..............

Quote Originally Posted by harold bain View Post
    So, when you transport it, is the case and the stand taken as two separate items, or is the case attached to the stand for moving? I guess it is a two man job, regardless.
    The clock stays fastened to the stand for transporting. Last year I loaded it alone so it is do-able. Because it is so tall, it can be tipped back and into our Dodge Caravan. Then just the one end has to be lifted and slid the rest of the way in. I pack the pendulum & weight separately and fasten the movement/dial assembly back in place. I also roll up a small amount of packing foam and squeeze it under the escape arbor bridge so all the weight of the movement isn't on the screws in to the lower posts. Unloading is the reverse.

This year I had help loading 'cuz the clock is 5 inches higher on the stand & I wasn't too sure about tipping it down in my crowded shop (low ceiling). I will probably ask for help again. Sure made the job easier.

Unloading/loading at the regional Angela helped me so be careful of saying its a two 'man' job.........although when she worked at a furniture store her nickname was 'Mangela', so I guess you are OK!

When we got back from the regional I unloaded it by myself, but took the door off the clock, then the clock from the stand to just move the bare case.

Guess I'm getting tired of playing gorilla --- or tired from playing gorilla!

Last edited by jhe.1973; 03-29-2017 at 08:21 PM.
    "To invent you need a good imagination and a pile of junk." - Thomas Edison
    Best wishes to Ya'll. Sincerely, Jim