Month's Goal: $300, Received: $315.00 - (105%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 1245 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.

Default Changing Date On Rolex 1525?

Hey all.

Bought a Rolex Air-King-Date, which I believe has the 1525 movement. The date is a slow change, (starts about 9:30PM and finishes around 12:15AM) and is not a quickset. So how do I adjust the date on this?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Changing Date On Rolex 1525? (RE: Paul Raposo)

There is no quick way to change the date on this model, short of using a cordless drill to do the job (which I do NOT personally recommend). These were made before to era of the "quick-change" calendar on this model, so it's 'round and 'round you go. The "back-and-forth" method used on some watches of the era doesn't work on these either. You may turn the hands backwards or forwards, depending on which direction requires the fewer turns to get to the correct date.

Default Re: Changing Date On Rolex 1525? (RE: doug sinclair)

Quote Originally Posted by doug sinclair View Post
    There is no quick way to change the date on this model, short of using a cordless drill to do the job (which I do NOT personally recommend).
    Now he tells me

You may turn the hands backwards or forwards, depending on which direction requires the fewer turns to get to the correct date.
    So I can move the hands forward, or backward, like on the 1601 Datejusts?

Thought I'd some pictures.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rolex3a.JPG 
Views:	5 
Size:	55.3 KB 
ID:	90446

Name:	rolex6a.JPG 
Views:	2 
Size:	27.9 KB 
ID:	90447

Name:	rolex8a.JPG 
Views:	3 
Size:	26.2 KB 
ID:	90448
    -> posts merged by system <-
    Doug, while I have your attention;

The seller said he had the watch serviced by a local watchmaker, not Rolex. The watch is currently losing 20 seconds per day. Is there any way to tell if the movement has been serviced when the case is opened, or could it just need to be adjusted, or regulation?
    Last edited by Paul Raposo; 04-24-2011 at 11:06 AM.

Blog Entries

If it happens that a 1601 model has a caliber 1535 movement in it, then it has a "quick-change" calendar which changes instantly on the hour. But it still doesn't have a quick re-set. With the caliber 1535 you must move the hands ahead until the calendar changes, STOP, BACK UP to about 9:00, then go ahead until the calendar advances again. On these, the date ring doesn't back up! IIRC, the quick re-set feature didn't appear until the caliber 3035 movement. A rule of thumb that usually works is that the "quick-set", "quick-change" calendar occurred at about the time the sapphire crystal was introduced. In short, reversing the hands on the 1500 series movements will also back up the calendar ring. So it's round and round, forwards or backwards, whichever way is shortest to get to the date you want. As to 20 seconds a day! Assume that it either has NOT been done, or perhaps it has been half done. Assume that many vendors go for the cheapest job they can get, often just enough to get the watch running. I have an Air-King that I have had since 1971, and it runs within 10 seconds per WEEK! But then, I'm the only one who has ever worked on it!
    Last edited by doug sinclair; 04-24-2011 at 01:00 PM.

Default Re: Changing Date On Rolex 1525? (RE: doug sinclair)

Excellent info, Doug, thanks

I wore the watch for three days, and when I realized how much it was losing, I set it aside. Guess I'll be saving up for a servicing this summer.

Assume that it either has NOT been done, or perhaps it has been half done.
    I'm stealing this comment for future use.